The Student Room Group

Kent or UCA disability experience

I hope this is ok to ask.

I am a mature student with varying mobility issues. I used to be fully mobile but for the past year have been using a self propelled wheelchair when out and walking sticks in the house. It is possible I will regain my mobility but due to my condition I could loose it very quickly again.

I have received unconditional offers to University of Kent and the University for the Creative Arts. The disability team at UCA have already been in contact with what support they can offer and an appointment to help fill in the DSA however when I called Kent they were rather vague on the support they could offer and said couldn't do anything until I start. I have a date to visit UCA on an applicant day but felt like I was fighting a loosing battle to arrange a visit to Kent. I have not been able to visit either campyus yet.

Does anybody have any experience of the disability support at either if these unis as my preference is Kent as it gets much higher rating for my course but I'm getting the feeling UCA might be more supportive? Also any ideas on which is more wheelchair / mobility restricted friendly in campus?

Thanks
Hi, Kent is also my first choice and from visiting the campus, they definitely are accommodating in terms of mobility ramps, however I'm not sure about moving around campus depending on lecture rooms. I am also quite concerned having received contact from all universities aside from Kent on their support system for those who need it. I would suggest that you just go up to the campus if you have time whilst visiting UCA to look around. You can also take a virtual tour around the campus on their website, though granted, I know it's not the same.

Another point you may want to take into consideration is that the Kent Canterbury campus is situated on a large hill. I'm not sure if that's something you're already aware of, but you may encounter difficulties when travelling to the city centre, as would be needed for weekly shops etc. Unless you are able to cover this cost yourself/or through DSA support, then this may be a large issue.

If living on campus, it would be worth disclosing your issue to ensure you're assigned a larger room for mobility issues.

I know this was all rather vague, but I hope this helps to some degree :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, I live in Canterbury and a PhD student with a disability! I'm at CCCU. There is a green bus, which I'm sure has wheel chair access from the Kent Uni into town every few minutes. As for disabilities, I was really impressed when I went to Kent to have a look around, so don't write them off yet. Have fun looking around,
MLD

Quick Reply

Latest