The Student Room Group

Why do people judge you for being single? Like "yeah he's single, but he is gay"

Firstly why do people judge you for being in your twenties and not in a relationship?

And secondly, what is this thing about being gay automatically makes it more obvious you are going to be single? :s-smilie:
Because people are shallow. But honestly, I'd say the majority of my university friends are single. There's nothing at all abnormal or worth judged for for being single.

I don't get why they say gay people are going to single, because that's not true. Perhaps it might be harder for them to find other gay people?
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly why do people judge you for being in your twenties and not in a relationship?

And secondly, what is this thing about being gay automatically makes it more obvious you are going to be single? :s-smilie:

People don't? The only people that seem to care are the people on TSR that make the "I'm sad because I'm 20 (something) and single" threads :s-smilie:

And there are less gay people so obviously it's going to be harder to find someone.
Reply 3
Original post by Serpentine111
People don't? The only people that seem to care are the people on TSR that make the "I'm sad because I'm 20 (something) and single" threads :s-smilie:

And there are less gay people so obviously it's going to be harder to find someone.

I dont care but people always seem to make it an issue to me, make me feel bad for not being in a relationship, not being in love, from friends family etc. i am only 22 I dont feel like its so bad and besides the age thing, I dont feel like laying down and dying at any age if im single, Im happy to get on with my life regardless. I have other things to deal with other than worrying oh im single. Im not one of those people making threads about being sad because im 20 something and single. Im sad about other people commenting on the fact, making it an issue that i am single. Not actually being single. Like "he is single" etc, he needs to find someone and although its not said out of malice its like "right yeah ok whatever" going off in my head. Of course im not against entering a relationship if it ever came to that. Im just not defining my whole life around I am single, and in need of immediate help.

Is it just because there are less gay people, because I dont know if it is..
I dont care but people always seem to make it an issue to me, make me feel bad for not being in a relationship, not being in love, from friends family etc. i am only 22 I dont feel like its so bad and besides the age thing, I dont feel like laying down and dying at any age if im single, Im happy to get on with my life regardless. I have other things to deal with other than worrying oh im single. Im not one of those people making threads about being sad because im 20 something and single. Im sad about other people commenting on the fact, making it an issue that i am single. Not actually being single. Like "he is single" etc, he needs to find someone and although its not said out of malice its like "right yeah ok whatever" going off in my head. Of course im not against entering a relationship if it ever came to that. Im just not defining my whole life around I am single, and in need of immediate help.

I am 29 and single and people assume that i am gay if i say i dont want to be in a relationship right now (Focus is more on my career). but sometimes these assumptions make me so annoyed.

Yeah I understand what you mean, people are always bothered about stuff like that though for some reason.

I think with the gay thing it is, yes. I'd imagine it's much easier for a straight guy to hit on a girl assuming she is straight than a gay guy trying to hit on a guy assuming he is gay...

I'm not sure about this but I'd assume gay bars and dating apps (Grindr) are quite sexually orientated, so it's quite hard to find someone who is gay in everyday life who is looking for a relationship.
Maybe by gay they mean stupid or something? :dontknow:
Reply 7
There's a presumption that everyone in their youth wants a relationship and if you don't have one its at best disappointing and at worst you're a sad loser.

Wasn't aware if you a gay you are presumed single. Have come across stereotyping that gay males are more promiscuous than heterosexual folk though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending