The Student Room Group

want to study medicine but want to do public health eventually(ie not practise med.)

I've always wanted to do medicine and absolutely love it. I cant stand being in labs all the time so would prefer medicine over bio science etc. And I know I can do MPH after a MBBS and so on.

But I also know I can work in Public health without a medical degree. Problem is, I really am not interested in any other uni courses. Would love to hear your input :smile:

I got offered a place at Sheffield and Glasgow btw.
So do medicine and go into public health? What's the issue?
Original post by Etomidate
So do medicine and go into public health? What's the issue?

Partly cause of the cost (Im an international student , paying much more fees) And also if it will be worth it? from what I know, public health doesnt require much of the skills I would be learning in med school so I dont know if itll be a waste of money and time and effort to go through med school only to go to public health.

And I know public health can be done as a specialty but since I am a foreigner, I wont be able to do specialty training in the UK and I was wondering if with my MBBS I can enter public health without the specialty training? Would there be a difference in jobscope without public health specialty training?
Just to remind you, its a 5 year course :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest