cheimcallyginger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently choosing my alevels for sixth form and thinking of choosing; art, philosophy and ethics, psychology and an English...

BUT WHICH ENGLISH?

Ive done a lot of reseach (looked at layout of different English alevels, talked to friends, teachers ,current alevel students) but I seem to just be getting more and more confused.

This is what Ive learned so far but correct me if any of it is wrong:

.some unis (rightly or wrongly) value lit above language or creative writing

.I was told by everyone that lit is harder and more analytical (yet my teacher told me lan and lit was more analytical and lit more creative)

Basically I want to take an English and am not sure if I would be better of taking the combing literature and language course or literature course.

English is not my biggest priority so I don't want the workload to damage my other a levels,I am a quick reader and enjoy books but not so hot on poetry,I'm more creative than analytical and I do much better in coursework essays than exams.

Would you recommend alevel literature or english lit and lan alevel ?

thanks for reading this long post and for any feed back,I really need help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks everybody for replying, Ive decided to do English lit as I think I will enjoy it more and may improve on the subject as at A level I will have more time per subject
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cheimcallyginger)
I'm currently choosing my alevels for sixth form and thinking of choosing; art, philosophy and ethics, psychology and an English...

BUT WHICH ENGLISH?

Ive done a lot of reseach (looked at layout of different English alevels, talked to friends, teachers ,current alevel students) but I seem to just be getting more and more confused.

.I was told by everyone that lit is harder and more analytical (yet my teacher told me lan and lit was more analytical and lit more creative)

Basically I want to take an English and am not sure if I would be better of taking the combing literature and language course or literature course.

English is not my biggest priority so I don't want the workload to damage my other a levels,I am a quick reader and enjoy books but not so hot on poetry,I'm more creative than analytical and I do much better in coursework essays than exams.

I would recommend doing English lit as you mentioned u are much better in coursework than in exams and I believe language has more exams. I've noticed through friends doing English Language and literature that the workload is quite a considerable amount. They have to read books, analogy etc. Not to put you off just a word of warning. Which did you enjoy more at GCSE? Some uni's will prefer if you have done English language and literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

BUT WHICH ENGLISH?

I had the same problem. However, I did Literature in the end.

Having looked at all the courses, I realised that Literature went into a lot more depth and there was lot more opportunity to explore different texts through critical analysis, both micro and macro analysis, whereas Language was very much on a lexical and grammatical level and the combined option didn't go into the depths of language nor literature, or anywhere near - it was very much on the surface of both...

As a current A Level English Lit student, I have to say that I very much enjoy the course. The coursework workload isn't stressful, if you adhere to the deadlines and manage your time well - and is a great way to 'bump up' your grade (I got 60/60 in my folder, and it's put me in a great position for the upcoming exams). The workload for the exams isn't too stressful either - you just have to make sure you know your texts very well and make enough time for essay practice.

And don't worry if you don't enjoy poetry. I did and always have loved poetry, but people in my class who weren't fond of it before have all grown to like it. I mean, it's surely interesting when you have poems about Goblins that are representative of seductive and lecherous men.

Good luck deciding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sixteeen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're going for academic unis they tend to marginally favour lit, although it is dependent also on which you enjoy more
cheimcallyginger
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingaaran)
I had the same problem. However, I did Literature in the end.

Having looked at all the courses, I realised that Literature went into a lot more depth and there was lot more opportunity to explore different texts through critical analysis, both micro and macro analysis, whereas Language was very much on a lexical and grammatical level and the combined option didn't go into the depths of language nor literature, or anywhere near - it was very much on the surface of both...

As a current A Level English Lit student, I have to say that I very much enjoy the course. The coursework workload isn't stressful, if you adhere to the deadlines and manage your time well - and is a great way to 'bump up' your grade (I got 60/60 in my folder, and it's put me in a great position for the upcoming exams). The workload for the exams isn't too stressful either - you just have to make sure you know your texts very well and make enough time for essay practice.

And don't worry if you don't enjoy poetry. I did and always have loved poetry, but people in my class who weren't fond of it before have all grown to like it. I mean, it's surely interesting when you have poems about Goblins that are representative of seductive and lecherous men.

Good luck deciding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks,I think im leaning more towards English lit right now but im still unsure.I don't know why i don't get on with poetry i like the poems but I'm bad at analysis them.
cheimcallyginger
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
I would recommend doing English lit as you mentioned u are much better in coursework than in exams and I believe language has more exams. I've noticed through friends doing English Language and literature that the workload is quite a considerable amount. They have to read books, analogy etc. Not to put you off just a word of warning. Which did you enjoy more at GCSE? Some uni's will prefer if you have done English language and literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks for replying,I think the workload sound difficult but i think could manage it....I hope.

I don't know which I enjoyed more because we did it all at the same time,my reports show my grades in English varying from a* to d and it seems almost completely random whether i do better in lit or lan.
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thanks,I think im leaning more towards English lit right now but im still unsure.I don't know why i don't get on with poetry i like the poems but I'm bad at analysis them.
If you're bad at analysing them, that shouldn't put you off. I'm sure your teachers will assist you in the process of analysing a poem, and help develop your analytical skills. Good luck choosing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thanks for replying,I think the workload sound difficult but i think could manage it....I hope.

I don't know which I enjoyed more because we did it all at the same time,my reports show my grades in English varying from a* to d and it seems almost completely random whether i do better in lit or lan.
if its completely random then maybe look on the list of traditional websites and see whether English language or lit is preferred. also I assume that most schools would offer it both joint because my school never offered just English lit, only both so maybe you may be at a disadvantage if you just do lit as most people doing English would have done both
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads