Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I though blood transports oxyegn and nutrients, but in my book it says tissue fluid transports oxygen and nutrients from the blood to the cell?
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Basically fluid from the blood moves out of the blood vessels and into the space between the cells, and nutrients, oxygen and waste are exchanged between the cells and the fluid. The fluid then enters the lymph vessels, which then connects to the blood vessels by the thoracic duct and returns the fluid to the bloodstream.
username1426305
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
So I though blood transports oxyegn and nutrients, but in my book it says tissue fluid transports oxygen and nutrients from the blood to the cell?
The fluid is forced out due to high hydrostatic pressure from the arteriole end, what happens is that substances such as glucose and oxygen move through the fenestrations (tiny gaps in the capillaries) and these are used for respiration. You do have some plasma proteins that are too large to leave the capillary and these affect the water potential by lowering it, this is how fluid is returned back into the capillary, it moves from high water potential to low down a water potential gradient. Any excess fluid is returned to the circulatory system via the lymphatic system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (1)
25%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
75%

Watched Threads