The Student Room Group

How to meet people in the gym?

I'm about to finish my third year of a four year course at uni. For whatever reason, I haven't been on a single date or anything over that time. I'm not claiming to be a super model but I am also not hideously deformed or overweight. Just haven't met anyone through social circles and clubs etc. I do weights at the gym twice a week (can't go more atm as I'm training for a half marathon so strength isn't my priority). I quite often see the same people there but everyone seems to want to be left alone. It's a fine gym, everyone respects each other etc but it's not that friendly either. Everyone is there to focus on themselves. Is there any way to make it a bit more sociable, open myself up to conversation with strangers etc? Health and fitness is one of my biggest hobbies and ideally I'd like to meet a guy who shares that interest. I know it seems a bit odd a girl making this type of post, I'm just a bit lonely I guess lol, but guys would you ever approach a girl at the gym? Is it somewhere you consider a good place to meet people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My favourite album
Original post by hermitthefrog
I'm about to finish my third year of a four year course at uni. For whatever reason, I haven't been on a single date or anything over that time. I'm not claiming to be a super model but I am also not hideously deformed or overweight. Just haven't met anyone through social circles and clubs etc. I do weights at the gym twice a week (can't go more atm as I'm training for a half marathon so strength isn't my priority). I quite often see the same people there but everyone seems to want to be left alone. It's a fine gym, everyone respects each other etc but it's not that friendly either. Everyone is there to focus on themselves. Is there any way to make it a bit more sociable, open myself up to conversation with strangers etc? Health and fitness is one of my biggest hobbies and ideally I'd like to meet a guy who shares that interest. I know it seems a bit odd a girl making this type of post, I'm just a bit lonely I guess lol, but guys would you ever approach a girl at the gym? Is it somewhere you consider a good place to meet people?

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh, I probably would. Maybe whilst I'm waiting by a machine, or just randomly, but worst case scenario, she thinks I'm a touch odd and would go back to ignoring me. Best case scenario, new gym buddy, new girl.

I wouldn't particularly say that it's a great place to meet, because it could be awkward if it ends badly, or doesn't start, but you never know till you try?

Personally, I probably would approach you, if we shared a gym, because I get so bored in the gym sometimes, and so just start chatting to anyone there, set a competition for who can bench press the highest weight, etc...
Original post by hermitthefrog
everyone seems to want to be left alone. Everyone is there to focus on themselves.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what gyms are meant to be like.
Don't distract people from their work outs.
If you wanna meet people go to a club or something.
Literally just smile at people.

Quick Reply

Latest