randlemcmurphy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For our coursework we were told the practical will be about a loaded metre rule (its deflection) and its oscillations. In preparation I looked over notes and found online a formula that says the deflection is directly proportional to the length of the rule cubed. This has completely baffled me as to why this is so. I assume the practical won't go into this much detail, however I am rather intrigued as to why this is so.

Thanks.
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by randlemcmurphy)
For our coursework we were told the practical will be about a loaded metre rule (its deflection) and its oscillations. In preparation I looked over notes and found online a formula that says the deflection is directly proportional to the length of the rule cubed. This has completely baffled me as to why this is so. I assume the practical won't go into this much detail, however I am rather intrigued as to why this is so.

Thanks.
What's the source of that formula? It seems unlikely to me on dimensional grounds (deflection is in metres, length^3 is in m^3).
pleasedtobeatyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks.
Its great you have that much interest but unfortunately the complete explanation for this would take too long.

In short, you model the ruler as a beam and apply equations from beam theory to it. It's then possible to formulate an equation for the oscillatory behaviour of the beam as it vibrates.

If your source is reliable, the equation will show that the deflection is proportional to the length of the beam/ruler cubed.

Hope this helped.
pleasedtobeatyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smaug123)
Actually, it's much more simple than I thought. I'm assuming you're performing an experiment where you have one end of the ruler fixed as a cantilever beam.

http://www.clag.org.uk/beam.html

About halfway down the page, you can see the equation. A full derivation is very lengthy. You would need to know all the basic beam theory before you could get to this stage.

So, it's not worth it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (95)
49.22%
No (98)
50.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed