The Student Room Group

Physics Bath vs Birmingham

So I'm hoping to study physics at uni but I can't decide between Bath or Birmingham, both offers are A*AA.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply 1
I would say Bath, I'm applying there myself, Physics with Astrophysics. When you look at the tables, Bath is improving each year, whereas Birmingham... Besides, Bath has also a very good placement programme.
I'm not a student there, but I myself decided to pick Bath, looking at lots of different things (like campus, city etc :wink: )
Reply 2
I'm currently studying Theoretical Physics at Birmingham. Birmingham outranks Bath for physics in the league tables (if you find league tables convincing). But realistically it depends on personal preference, Bath and Birmingham are pretty different places; Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK whereas Bath is a lot quieter... both have their advantages and disadvantages. I think that judging from pure statistics then Birmingham would be a better option but it's pretty much negligible, my suggestion would to be to visit both and see which one you prefer.
I agree that the statistics are basically insignificant as they're both prestigious, but in essence that is my problem as I cant seem to differentiate between them enough to make a decision. I have visited both of them and this is still my view as I like both, it would be great to hear some advantages and disadvantages from a current student that you don't see on an open day.
Cheers
Reply 4
Original post by jonathanparkes
I agree that the statistics are basically insignificant as they're both prestigious, but in essence that is my problem as I cant seem to differentiate between them enough to make a decision. I have visited both of them and this is still my view as I like both, it would be great to hear some advantages and disadvantages from a current student that you don't see on an open day.
Cheers

Well the problem is I can only really talk about Birmingham, I did spend a week at a taster course in Bath and didn't like it, but that's just personal preference. I can, however, try to brainstorm some pros and cons of Birmingham.

pros:
- Highly prestigious Physics department
- Beautiful campus
- Huge campus (has 2 small supermarkets, 2 costas, a starbucks, train station, hair dressers etc.)
- Very flexible course (theoretical, particle, astro, theoretical & applied mathematics etc.)
- Optional year in computer science if you'd like
- All the main accommodations are close to the university (~10-15 minutes walk)
- Great nightlife and city life in general
- Russel group

cons:
- City is known for not being particularly nice

Well, having only one con makes me feel incredibly bias, but that's probably because I am. Hopefully a Bath student will be able to be give an equally bias promotion of Bath university to balance it out. Feel free to message me any specific questions about Physics at Birmingham. I hope you figure it out :smile:
Original post by Aiden223
Well the problem is I can only really talk about Birmingham, I did spend a week at a taster course in Bath and didn't like it, but that's just personal preference. I can, however, try to brainstorm some pros and cons of Birmingham.

pros:
- Highly prestigious Physics department
- Beautiful campus
- Huge campus (has 2 small supermarkets, 2 costas, a starbucks, train station, hair dressers etc.)
- Very flexible course (theoretical, particle, astro, theoretical & applied mathematics etc.)
- Optional year in computer science if you'd like
- All the main accommodations are close to the university (~10-15 minutes walk)
- Great nightlife and city life in general
- Russel group

cons:
- City is known for not being particularly nice

Well, having only one con makes me feel incredibly bias, but that's probably because I am. Hopefully a Bath student will be able to be give an equally bias promotion of Bath university to balance it out. Feel free to message me any specific questions about Physics at Birmingham. I hope you figure it out :smile:

Thanks, that's really helpful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending