The Student Room Group

Help! Someone please mark my answer to Q4 for english language!

INSERT : http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENG1H-INS-JUN13.PDF 

4 Compare the ways in which language is used for effect in the two texts.
Give some examples and analyse the effects. (16 marks)

Source 2 is an informative newspaper article that targets
young people and parents. However, source 3 is an extract from a non-fiction book that describes the writer’s experience in Mediterranean;
ittargets a wider range of audience as more graphic imageries are depicted to describe her experience.

Source uses the adverb ‘dangerously’; this highlights the harm and danger that teenagers can potentially face. This is because the adverb’ dangerously’ implies a possible harm or problem and in this case, it suggests that poor diet poses an invisible threat to teenagers and that they are oblivious to it. This is further reinforced by the used of the repetition ‘dangerously’, emphasizing the harm that it can bring and in the meantime, reminding readers of the danger posed to teenagers.
Source 3 however uses emotive language ‘I did not love the frustration’. The use of the emotive word ‘love’ signifies an adoring strong emotion towards someone. However, this is contrasted with the word ‘frustration’ which implies sheer anger. The fact that the two words are next to each other, this further reinforces the anger and annoyance she felt towards her guide.

Similarly, source 3 too uses emotive language, such as the word ‘shun’, which reflects the severe problem. This is because the word ‘shun’ suggests that not only do teenagers avoid fruit, they avoid it persistently and intentionally. As a result, this emphasizes on how serious the problem is and that it needs to be dealt with immediately.
Furthermore, source 3 uses powerful verbs to emphasise how lonely and isolated she was. ‘I pined for him’, the use of the word ‘pined’ shows the strong sense of desperation and loneliness within her. This evokes sadness as it makes readers empathize with the writer as they understand how lonely she felt and her strong desire to leave.
Moreover, source 2 uses list of three ‘biggest guzzlers of salt, alcohol and sugar-laden soft drinks’ by puting the drinks in a list, it really emphasizes on how unhealthy and detrimental the drinks are to teenagers. In addition to this, it makes it memorable for the readers as they would remember how detrimental teenagers’ diets are. The use of superlative ‘biggest guzzlers of salt’ further reinforces the fact that it is unhealthy as by using superlative, it exaggerates the problem. Hence, this makes teenagers’ diets sound horrifying and shocking.
Source 3 also uses list of 3 but to conjure up a vivid image of the scene and makes readers feel as if they were with the writer too. ‘donkeys, cars, carts with long bearded gnome-like men’. This builds up a graphic image of the surrounding and that it was quite chaotic as it allows readers to visualize the scene. Additionally, the use of humor ‘long bearded-gnome-like men’ gives a detailed description of the men and the use of humor intends to entertain readers as well as giving them the vivid description of the surrounding. The effect it gives to the readers is that they are able to imagine and visualize the chaotic scene and they are engaged at the same time.

In conclusion, source 2 uses emotive language to shock the readers and inform them of teenagers’ unhealthy diet and the danger posed to them. In contrast, source 3 uses emotive language to allow readers to empathise with her and list of 3 is used to conjure up graphic imageries of the surrounding as the source is intended to describe her experience in Mediterranean.
(edited 9 years ago)
I like your ending where you clearly contrast and compare both of the sources, you don't actually compare them throughout. Having read the mark scheme, you do 'analyse writers use of language to achieve effects' and you 'offer appropriate quotations in support of ideas I would give you 14 maybe 15 at the most because you haven't been explicit about the comparisons throughout your response.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by dawideksoltysik
I like your ending where you clearly contrast and compare both of the sources, you don't actually compare them throughout. Having read the mark scheme, you do 'analyse writers use of language to achieve effects' and you 'offer appropriate quotations in support of ideas I would give you 14 maybe 15 at the most because you haven't been explicit about the comparisons throughout your response.

Thank you for taking your time to mark this. Well, for the comparing part, I couldn't actually compare them that much but I did say something like Source 3 also uses ..... So wouln't that count as comparing though? Also just to be crystal clear, is this exactly what you need to write about Q4 because I used to write about the audience and sentence length but little on language i only got 5 out of 16. So for this question, you just talk about the language whole way through?
Original post by Bonbonsweet
Thank you for taking your time to mark this. Well, for the comparing part, I couldn't actually compare them that much but I did say something like Source 3 also uses ..... So wouln't that count as comparing though? Also just to be crystal clear, is this exactly what you need to write about Q4 because I used to write about the audience and sentence length but little on language i only got 5 out of 16. So for this question, you just talk about the language whole way through?

Yeh, this is ONLY language comparisons. I liked your answer in that it talked about the uses of writers craft which is quite impressive to talk about. I have been told that to actually get the 'comparison' marks, you need to compare throughout your response and frankly, we might forget to do that sometimes! Basically, you need to compare after each paragraph, clearly and so that examiner really understands that you know how to compare.

I have also been told that once you hit the full mark in your response, the examiner will move on, meaning that if you write pages on pages and you hit the 16/16 on the second page, you'd have wasted that precious 30 minutes which you may well have spend on other questions.

Make sure you stick to the timing (12 mins for 8 markers, 24 mins for 16 markers, and 36 mins for the 24 marker) because if you can produce something like this is the 24 mins, you should be really proud.
Reply 4
I think you should add a few comparisons because that is what the question asks you 'Compare...'.
My English Language teacher taught me that the more comparisons you make the better. However the similarities that you have made are good though. I like the way you have analysed the text in a lot of detail which is what the examiner is looking for:wink:. You can also talk about how the text links to the audience and purpose.
Original post by unsa98
I think you should add a few comparisons because that is what the question asks you 'Compare...'.
My English Language teacher taught me that the more comparisons you make the better. However the similarities that you have made are good though. I like the way you have analysed the text in a lot of detail which is what the examiner is looking for:wink:. You can also talk about how the text links to the audience and purpose.

I agree with you, the way this is written is excellent and if this person can reproduce this is the exam sticking to the timings for that question then they'll be aiming for the top bands! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by unsa98

Thank you for your comment. I am surprised because my teacher however told us that most of the marks come from analyzing the language and it doesn't really matter if you don't compare very much. Also, i talked about the audience and tone a lot in my mock and only got 5 marks for it. May I ask if you have sat your english language exam yet?? I am doing mine in May, so any advice on that??:confused:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeh, this is ONLY language comparisons. I liked your answer in that it talked about the uses of writers craft which is quite impressive to talk about. I have been told that to actually get the 'comparison' marks, you need to compare throughout your response and frankly, we might forget to do that sometimes! Basically, you need to compare after each paragraph, clearly and so that examiner really understands that you know how to compare.

I have also been told that once you hit the full mark in your response, the examiner will move on, meaning that if you write pages on pages and you hit the 16/16 on the second page, you'd have wasted that precious 30 minutes which you may well have spend on other questions.

Make sure you stick to the timing (12 mins for 8 markers, 24 mins for 16 markers, and 36 mins for the 24 marker) because if you can produce something like this is the 24 mins, you should be really proud.

So how do you do the comparing after every paragraph though because if you talk about the the list of 3 for source3 and fact for source 1 would you say source 1 uses the fact... to make it more believable. Whereas, source 3 uses list of 3 to create a vivid imagery of something.... I really hope i will do well because I screwed question 4 last time and only scored 5? :frown: Also, how would i know whether i have written enough and not wasted any time on it because i tend to use all the time, writing as much as possible.... Thank you again for marking this, I really do appreciate the help :smile::smile:
So how do you do the comparing after every paragraph though because if you talk about the the list of 3 for source3 and fact for source 1 would you say source 1 uses the fact... to make it more believable. Whereas, source 3 uses list of 3 to create a vivid imagery of something.... I really hope i will do well because I screwed question 4 last time and only scored 5? :frown: Also, how would i know whether i have written enough and not wasted any time on it because i tend to use all the time, writing as much as possible.... Thank you again for marking this, I really do appreciate the help :smile::smile:

Write for as long as the 24 minutes, then move onto the writing section. Whatever time you have left, go back over each question, proofread to make sure you have included everything you can for the full marks.

To be honest, I would just check that I have 3 clear devices for each source, explained how the link, are effective and have analysed every part of the device. If you have this, you should be fine and on your way for the 16 marks.
One time, my friend wrote 4 pages for Q4, and when he got his paper back, he got 16 marks by the 3rd page and he didn't answer Q5 because of this!
Reply 9
Write for as long as the 24 minutes, then move onto the writing section. Whatever time you have left, go back over each question, proofread to make sure you have included everything you can for the full marks.

To be honest, I would just check that I have 3 clear devices for each source, explained how the link, are effective and have analysed every part of the device. If you have this, you should be fine and on your way for the 16 marks.
One time, my friend wrote 4 pages for Q4, and when he got his paper back, he got 16 marks by the 3rd page and he didn't answer Q5 because of this!

So you are sitting your exam in may as well? Which device would you pick the out of the whole source as there is fact, list of 3 and alliteration...
INSERT : http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENG1H-INS-JUN13.PDF 

4 Compare the ways in which language is used for effect in the two texts.
Give some examples and analyse the effects. (16 marks)

young people and parents. However, source 3 is an extract from a non-fiction book that describes the writer’s experience in Mediterranean;
ittargets a wider range of audience as more graphic imageries are depicted to describe her experience.

Source uses the adverb ‘dangerously’; this highlights the harm and danger that teenagers can potentially face. This is because the adverb’ dangerously’ implies a possible harm or problem and in this case, it suggests that poor diet poses an invisible threat to teenagers and that they are oblivious to it. This is further reinforced by the used of the repetition ‘dangerously’, emphasizing the harm that it can bring and in the meantime, reminding readers of the danger posed to teenagers.
Source 3 however uses emotive language ‘I did not love the frustration’. The use of the emotive word ‘love’ signifies an adoring strong emotion towards someone. However, this is contrasted with the word ‘frustration’ which implies sheer anger. The fact that the two words are next to each other, this further reinforces the anger and annoyance she felt towards her guide.

Similarly, source 3 too uses emotive language, such as the word ‘shun’, which reflects the severe problem. This is because the word ‘shun’ suggests that not only do teenagers avoid fruit, they avoid it persistently and intentionally. As a result, this emphasizes on how serious the problem is and that it needs to be dealt with immediately.
Furthermore, source 3 uses powerful verbs to emphasise how lonely and isolated she was. ‘I pined for him’, the use of the word ‘pined’ shows the strong sense of desperation and loneliness within her. This evokes sadness as it makes readers empathize with the writer as they understand how lonely she felt and her strong desire to leave.
Moreover, source 2 uses list of three ‘biggest guzzlers of salt, alcohol and sugar-laden soft drinks’ by puting the drinks in a list, it really emphasizes on how unhealthy and detrimental the drinks are to teenagers. In addition to this, it makes it memorable for the readers as they would remember how detrimental teenagers’ diets are. The use of superlative ‘biggest guzzlers of salt’ further reinforces the fact that it is unhealthy as by using superlative, it exaggerates the problem. Hence, this makes teenagers’ diets sound horrifying and shocking.
Source 3 also uses list of 3 but to conjure up a vivid image of the scene and makes readers feel as if they were with the writer too. ‘donkeys, cars, carts with long bearded gnome-like men’. This builds up a graphic image of the surrounding and that it was quite chaotic as it allows readers to visualize the scene. Additionally, the use of humor ‘long bearded-gnome-like men’ gives a detailed description of the men and the use of humor intends to entertain readers as well as giving them the vivid description of the surrounding. The effect it gives to the readers is that they are able to imagine and visualize the chaotic scene and they are engaged at the same time.

In conclusion, source 2 uses emotive language to shock the readers and inform them of teenagers’ unhealthy diet and the danger posed to them. In contrast, source 3 uses emotive language to allow readers to empathise with her and list of 3 is used to conjure up graphic imageries of the surrounding as the source is intended to describe her experience in Mediterranean.

This is good. The language analysis is there and you make clear comparisons and have clear effects to accompany your analysis. You also clearly understand how language is used with relation to the text, because you do make some clear references to the content of the article, rather than just having a piece filledwith generalisations, such as 'it makes it catchy', 'adds authority', 'engages the reader'.

Some improvements:

You need more thorough comparisons, such that you are comparing the ways in which language is used for effect. You might want to refrain from being quite simplistic in your comparisons, by saying 'similarly', 'on the other hand' etc.; instead, you want to have a comparison in which you talk about a similarity and a difference in the ways in which language is used. So:

Although the writers of source one and source three both use juxtaposition within their articles, the writer of source three employs a subtle juxtaposition in semantic fields +.....

Both of the writers use sensory language within their articles, albeit in source three, the writer intertwines his sensory language with sensuous sounds and lists to help make the destruction seem ironically tangible +......

Another thing you want to do is avoid the use of generalised effects. Knowing an examiner myself, on questions that target analysis, generalised effects are awarded a Band 2, as they fail to be 'clear' or 'perceptive'. By generalised, I mean saying effects that can be applied to any article, such as 'this intrigues the reader', 'this makes the reader want to read on', 'this makes the reader curious/engaged/excited'. What you're not doing here is being specific to the article you write about, which is vital for the higher bands. However, although most of your effects are not generalised, you still have a few elements of generalisation which I feel as though you could omit.

Better comparisons and more perception within your effects will allow you to move into the higher marks of Band 4. This would be a 13/16.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi looking for people who can mark English GCSE exam papers. I can pay £5 per script. Any takers? Ganesh 07754 299 865. Cheers
Original post by kingaaran
This is good. The language analysis is there and you make clear comparisons and have clear effects to accompany your analysis. You also clearly understand how language is used with relation to the text, because you do make some clear references to the content of the article, rather than just having a piece filledwith generalisations, such as 'it makes it catchy', 'adds authority', 'engages the reader'.

Some improvements:

You need more thorough comparisons, such that you are comparing the ways in which language is used for effect. You might want to refrain from being quite simplistic in your comparisons, by saying 'similarly', 'on the other hand' etc.; instead, you want to have a comparison in which you talk about a similarity and a difference in the ways in which language is used. So:

Although the writers of source one and source three both use juxtaposition within their articles, the writer of source three employs a subtle juxtaposition in semantic fields +.....

Both of the writers use sensory language within their articles, albeit in source three, the writer intertwines his sensory language with sensuous sounds and lists to help make the destruction seem ironically tangible +......

Another thing you want to do is avoid the use of generalised effects. Knowing an examiner myself, on questions that target analysis, generalised effects are awarded a Band 2, as they fail to be 'clear' or 'perceptive'. By generalised, I mean saying effects that can be applied to any article, such as 'this intrigues the reader', 'this makes the reader want to read on', 'this makes the reader curious/engaged/excited'. What you're not doing here is being specific to the article you write about, which is vital for the higher bands. However, although most of your effects are not generalised, you still have a few elements of generalisation which I feel as though you could omit.

Better comparisons and more perception within your effects will allow you to move into the higher marks of Band 4. This would be a 13/16.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you first of all for reading this and gives me a mark for this. Yes! Being too general is my weakness as i run out of ideas and that is the one thing i could really talk about. So i really appreciate the feeback. So by perceptive i (now) know that you can't be general and says this engages the reader. So do you say what this quote is implying? For example in my answer i have talked about 'biggest guzzlers of salt, alcohol and sugar-laden soft drinks' and analysed it. So by being perceptive, you have have to say this suggests that teenagers are oblivious to the danger they face. But i did mention that in my answer though. I didn't really know what to write for the effect other that this engages the reader (which i now know not to use! Do i say, this gives an insight for the readers into the real danger posed to teenagers. But i think i mentioned that in the answer...

I have edited the work, is this what you mean i need to do?

young people and parents. However, source 3 is an extract from a non-fiction book that describes the writer’s experience in Mediterranean;it targets a wider range of audience as more graphic imageries are depicted to describe her experience.

Source 3 however uses emotive language ‘I did not love the frustration’. The use of the emotive word ‘love’ signifies an adoring strong emotion towards someone. However, this is contrasted with the word ‘frustration’ which implies sheer anger. The fact that the two words are next to each other, this further reinforces the anger and annoyance she felt towards her guide. In addition to this, the effect it will have on the readers is that they will feel sympathetic for her and empathize with her as she implies that she didn't relish her journey and that she didn't have a good time.

Similarly, source 3 too uses emotive language, such as the word ‘shun’, which reflects the severe problem. This is because the word ‘shun’ suggests that not only do teenagers avoid fruit, they avoid it persistently and intentionally. As a result, this emphasizes on how serious the problem is and that it needs to be dealt with immediately. This also implies that teenagers are averse to healthy diets like vegetables and fruits as instead they have a liking for unhealthy food such as hamburgers.

Source 3 also uses list of 3 but to conjure up a vivid image of the scene and makes readers feel as if they were with the writer too. ‘donkeys, cars, carts with long bearded gnome-like men’. This builds up a graphic image of the surrounding and that it was quite chaotic as it allows readers to visualize the scene. Additionally, the use of humor ‘long bearded-gnome-like men’ gives a detailed description of the men and the use of humor intends to entertain readers as well as giving them the vivid description of the surrounding. The effect it gives to the readers is that they are able to imagine and visualize the chaotic scene. Although both source uses list of 3, in source 3 is to emphasize and highlight how diabolical teenagers’ diets are and is intended to shock the readers as welling as informing them, source 3 uses it to build up a graphic imagery of the chaotic but yet humorous picture in readers’ head. As a result, list of 3 is used in source 3 to describe and entertain, unlike source 1 which is intended to inform and shock the readers.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ganesh_LIS
Hi looking for people who can mark English GCSE exam papers. I can pay £5 per script. Any takers? Ganesh 07754 299 865. Cheers

Why don't you give it to your teacher to mark or just post it here in the student room, which i what i do as well...
Just to explain I'm not a student but I run a learning centre, trying to take some of the workload off my tutors and provide some income to students who I'm sure are perfectly capable of marking the papers being completed by my students. Hope this isn't breaking any of the forum rules.
Thank you first of all for reading this and gives me a mark for this. Yes! Being too general is my weakness as i run out of ideas and that is the one thing i could really talk about. So i really appreciate the feeback. So by perceptive i (now) know that you can't be general and says this engages the reader. So do you say what this quote is implying? For example in my answer i have talked about 'biggest guzzlers of salt, alcohol and sugar-laden soft drinks' and analysed it. So by being perceptive, you have have to say this suggests that teenagers are oblivious to the danger they face. But i did mention that in my answer though. I didn't really know what to write for the effect other that this engages the reader (which i now know not to use! Do i say, this gives an insight for the readers into the real danger posed to teenagers. But i think i mentioned that in the answer...

I have edited the work, is this what you mean i need to do?

young people and parents. However, source 3 is an extract from a non-fiction book that describes the writer’s experience in Mediterranean;it targets a wider range of audience as more graphic imageries are depicted to describe her experience.

Source 3 however uses emotive language ‘I did not love the frustration’. The use of the emotive word ‘love’ signifies an adoring strong emotion towards someone. However, this is contrasted with the word ‘frustration’ which implies sheer anger. The fact that the two words are next to each other, this further reinforces the anger and annoyance she felt towards her guide. In addition to this, the effect it will have on the readers is that they will feel sympathetic for her and empathize with her as she implies that she didn't relish her journey and that she didn't have a good time.

Similarly, source 3 too uses emotive language, such as the word ‘shun’, which reflects the severe problem. This is because the word ‘shun’ suggests that not only do teenagers avoid fruit, they avoid it persistently and intentionally. As a result, this emphasizes on how serious the problem is and that it needs to be dealt with immediately. This also implies that teenagers are averse to healthy diets like vegetables and fruits as instead they have a liking for unhealthy food such as hamburgers.

Source 3 also uses list of 3 but to conjure up a vivid image of the scene and makes readers feel as if they were with the writer too. ‘donkeys, cars, carts with long bearded gnome-like men’. This builds up a graphic image of the surrounding and that it was quite chaotic as it allows readers to visualize the scene. Additionally, the use of humor ‘long bearded-gnome-like men’ gives a detailed description of the men and the use of humor intends to entertain readers as well as giving them the vivid description of the surrounding. The effect it gives to the readers is that they are able to imagine and visualize the chaotic scene. Although both source uses list of 3, in source 3 is to emphasize and highlight how diabolical teenagers’ diets are and is intended to shock the readers as welling as informing them, source 3 uses it to build up a graphic imagery of the chaotic but yet humorous picture in readers’ head. As a result, list of 3 is used in source 3 to describe and entertain, unlike source 1 which is intended to inform and shock the readers.

That's exactly what I was talking about. :smile:

You just need to make sure your effects are always linked into the content of the article. Some pretty perceptive ones that you can apply to articles are: it makes the readers realise their oblivion to..., this presents their diets as a disease that is blinding them of reality, etc.., you can use 'oblivion' and the idea of a 'disease' most of the time. And when applied contextually, they can become rather perceptive.

Just avoid generalisations and try to be as specific as you can. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am due to take GCSEs this year, marking some other people's work is good for seeing someone's mistakes. How would you go about it?
(edited 8 years ago)

You need to be cautious online with regards to your personal information(just saying)

And in stead of your proposal why not get someone else to mark it instead like your teachers in school or anyone else you know that could be handy.

Edit: I read your others post and it c cool.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kingaaran
That's exactly what I was talking about. :smile:

You just need to make sure your effects are always linked into the content of the article. Some pretty perceptive ones that you can apply to articles are: it makes the readers realise their oblivion to..., this presents their diets as a disease that is blinding them of reality, etc.., you can use 'oblivion' and the idea of a 'disease' most of the time. And when applied contextually, they can become rather perceptive.

Just avoid generalisations and try to be as specific as you can. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's cool; i will bear that in mind as that was exactly why i only scored 5 for this question and question 2 last time. For question 2 i guess you do similar things like this ?? thanks in advance :smile::biggrin:

Quick Reply