Maths Extra-curriculars Watch

mpaterson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

I'm currently in year 12 at college doing further maths. So we're about 3 weeks away from finishing c4. I'm looking into studying maths at uni as I really enjoy all the theory and also its applications.
I was looking around the internet for extra material to learn (as the pace we're going at in college feels very slow) and I found the MIT open course.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/#
I was just wondering which courses anybody would recommend as interesting, and able to understand with just knowledge of a level maths. (Also FYI I have a basic knowledge of linear algebra, is this worth pursuing?)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mpaterson)
Hi

I'm currently in year 12 at college doing further maths. So we're about 3 weeks away from finishing c4. I'm looking into studying maths at uni as I really enjoy all the theory and also its applications.
I was looking around the internet for extra material to learn (as the pace we're going at in college feels very slow) and I found the MIT open course.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/#
I was just wondering which courses anybody would recommend as interesting, and able to understand with just knowledge of a level maths. (Also FYI I have a basic knowledge of linear algebra, is this worth pursuing?)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Go do the linear algebra course to give you an advantage when you start uni; though you don't really need to.
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Linear algebra, differential equations, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism.
Those are some suggestions, but study anything that looks interesting.

If you're going to learn linear algebra and differential equations this year, you may as well take the later further pure modules next year as this will prove to unis that you are capable in these areas.
mpaterson
Rep:
?
Thanks, do you think any of these would give me an advantage when applying to uni or even something to chat about during the interview?
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It would definitely give you something to chat about in an interview!

I've only just done linear algebra in my 2nd year of uni, and it was found quite challenging to get the grasp of by most of the people on my course. So if you can manage the material on the MIT website then great, but don't feel too disheartened if you find it gets difficult quickly.

What topics in a level maths have you found the most interesting?

I'd recommend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Intr.../dp/1439835985
mpaterson
Rep:
?
Ooh thanks for the recommendation.

I particularly enjoy optimization, and also use of maths in finance. Noticed the quantative finance lectures on the MIT website, do you think they'd be too advanced?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
21.88%
The paper was reasonable (419)
43.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (185)
19.09%
It was TERRIBLE (153)
15.79%

Watched Threads