rustytap
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm revising but i'm stuck on Dr Hjalmar Schacht's "new plan", how did he make jobs? i'm also stuck on the "four year plan" by Hermann Goring. thanks!
BlueBandanna
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what part of the plan confuses you?
This may help,
You've gotta consider the guns or butter debate. So schacht's plan was part of the butter side, he wanted to improve the economy for the civilians and didn't really focus on rearmament. But he was soon replaced by Georing as Hitler wanted rearmament more and gearing said that he could make Germany ready for war within 4 years: he said that Germany could be made self sustainable and that Germany would have a impressive army again, so he didn't focus on things like food and the economy for normal civilians. So Georing was the Guns side of the Guns and Butter debate.
greentron6
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Firstly, Dr. Hjalmar Schacht was the first president of the Reichsbank in 1934 and became the minister of economics in 1935. He devised the New Plan which basically solved many of Hitler's economic problems.
1) This plan reduced unemployment (which you probably already know was a big issue since Germany's defeat in WWI). This was done by creating jobs which were usually construction-related. Additionally, RAD (Reich Labour Service) was set up which was basically a compulsory labour service for the unemployed aged 18-25. They had to serve in this service for 6 months before military service. Finally, in 1935, many men were conscripted to the army and Jews were sacked from important jobs.
2) Schacht felt that Germany could not afford to re-arm and placed money into other areas; such as the industry.
3) Policy of Autarky (Autarky basically means self-sufficiency as Germany wanted to produce more goods internally rather than relying on imports): Imports were limited and raw materials were brought in from abroad).
This plan was a SUCCESS as it was able to solve the majority of Germany's problems and it also gave Hitler money to build the army.
greentron6
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Secondly, the 4-year plan. Hermann Goering was Hitler's third in command, who was ordered by Hitler to find a way ro re-arm Germany quicker. As a result, he tried to:
1) Reduce unemployment even more by inventing jobs specifically in the factories. At this time, most of the men were conscripted into the armed forces. Additionally, he forced labour groups to build public essentials like roads.
2) He basically tried to build the industry up for war by increasing internal manufacture of goods such as iron, steel, etc.
3) He also kept a tight control of worker's wages.
This plan was a FAILURE because by 1939, Germany still depended on 33% of its self-sufficiency on imports, especially rubber, oil and iron ore.

Hope this helped!!!! If you need any more help on History, PM me, I'll be happy to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (367)
19.73%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed