edexcel psychology AS how to answer exam questions?

Watch
Mattwebberley
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am very confused on how write my responses for all the writing questions, the 12,8,6 and 4 mark questions. how can i get marks, how much should i write and what should i write. Also, i dont understand outline questions in particular. i got a D in the january mock, can someone please give me advice on how to improve my answers
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mattwebberley)
I am very confused on how write my responses for all the writing questions, the 12,8,6 and 4 mark questions. how can i get marks, how much should i write and what should i write. Also, i dont understand outline questions in particular. i got a D in the january mock, can someone please give me advice on how to improve my answers
I got an A for that last year so I can offer some help as A2 follows a similar process. For a 12 mark question you will usually get a describe and evaluate study question so that's 4-6 points for describe and 4-6 for evaluate. It's better to have fewer points and dwell on it rather than a lot of general points. You do APRC for the studies and GRAVE for the evaluations of the studies. If you're describing a theory then you just talk about who proposed it, what it's about and for evaluation you would talk about studies that support it and the criticisms of that study. For example with the agency theory you would talk about the 2 states and that it was proposed by milgram and for evaluation you would talk about how it helps explain wars and genocides because people are in the agentic state and it has support from Milgram so give percentages of those who obeyed. Think it was roughly 65% but then you could talk about how they were prodded by the researcher to continue so they may have felt pressured rather than actually want to cause the shocks. You would probably give 3strengths of Milgrams study and 3 weaknesses depending on how many marks it is. For the 8 mark questions you would include 4 well developed points to get 2 marks for each one and for 6 you would include 3 points to get 2 marks for each developed point. With the 4 mark question you would probably write 2 points and get 2 marks for each one if they are developed. Just keep looking at mark schemes they really help. I can't really tell you what to write because that's a matter of revising yourself. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
courtsd97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am always told to whenever I make a point ask myself 'why?'. So for example if you're saying a certain study has good validity say 'why' to yourself and explain, also make sure you explain why something is a strength or weakness as this shows the examiner you understand the advantages and disadvantages of the key points in GRAVE. Also, make sure you don't stick to describing and evaluating as for the 12 marks, there is basically 6 for each. Don't make points without evaluating them Depth and Bredth
Also!! Always always always include numbers and statistics in your practical write ups and the stat questions!! without them marks will not be awarded..trust me, i know
Mattwebberley
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
thanks for you help, i will try to do as many past papers as I can!
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mattwebberley)
thanks for you help, i will try to do as many past papers as I can!
Yeh also do it with time limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads