kt03
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm really struggling with AS Sociology and sadly cannot drop it next year due to me only picking three subjects. The problem i'm having with it is with it is that with any question that may come up on the exam, there's numerous answers for that particular question as there's so many perspectives and theories. Can anyone give me advice who has done sociology on any useful revision websites and tips on condensing notes which I am also struggling with! Any tips on revision and essay writing for the exam would be greatly appreciated too as my tutor says my essays are not great and the exam is soon and I'm so stressed! Help please!!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
mariamilesi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did AS Sociology last year and theorists were the bane of my life and continue to be at A2. I recommend using flash cards because it offers a different way of looking at them and it also allows you to get rid of any you don't necessarily need as it gets nearer the exam. Ultimately I would say don't worry about it too much because I didn't use that many in my exams last year and still got an A in both exams! You really can get away with saying something along the lines of "A Marxist may argue that..." just focus on constructing a strong argument! Try and remember a few, even just one main one for each perspective

Posted from TSR Mobile
mariamilesi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, ask for exemplar answers from past students - this helped me a lot with writing essays and it really reassured me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
jadeeexo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got an A last year for AS Sociology and I'm predicted an A*, what in specific are you finding difficult?
Revision.. I'd just say that practice loads and loads of exam papers, that's what I did. I did Family and Education last year and we had an amazing teacher, he told us that we need to know AT LEAST 40 studies for each of Family and Education! What other subjects are you doing?
Many of the studies overlap (e.g. some of the ones in the family trends topic) and they can be used in more than one topic. Learn studies, make mindmaps with really brief notes or write notes on cue cards (but again, really brief notes), answer past exam questions using your brief mindmaps or flash cards and then try doing them without. If you need help with any specific topic, don't hesitate to ask x
I do have some answers somewhere (for the family topic if you're doing that one) and they're all top A grade answers so I can send you them if you want? Don't stress, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm terrified about my A2 exams this year! Good luck! x
sk942015
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mariamilesi)
I did AS Sociology last year and theorists were the bane of my life and continue to be at A2. I recommend using flash cards because it offers a different way of looking at them and it also allows you to get rid of any you don't necessarily need as it gets nearer the exam. Ultimately I would say don't worry about it too much because I didn't use that many in my exams last year and still got an A in both exams! You really can get away with saying something along the lines of "A Marxist may argue that..." just focus on constructing a strong argument! Try and remember a few, even just one main one for each perspective

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! congrats on getting A's! quick question - How many arguments did you used to write for the 24 markers? I was told to write 5 plus the intro and conclusion which will lead upto around 12 paragraps - but the more I am reading about essay structure on here the more I am realising perhaps I don't need 5 arguments to get an A? Can I get away with writing 3 e.g 'examine feminist view of family' I would do an intro then
1. Dephy and leonard (unpaid housework) with zaretsky arguing against them.
2. Kate Millett (patriarchy) with Murdock arguing against her
3. Gittins (family acts as an ideology) with new right john redwood arguing against her
conclusion

So that'll be 5 paragraphs, 6 sociologists. Is this okay :/ or do I need to add another point. Would really appreciate your help!
SarahLund
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got an A (max UMS) at AS, and what worked for me (I'll admit it didn't work for anyone else) is simply copying notes over and over - but in an organised fashion. So like under the topic of "Class and Educational Attainment" I'd have sub-headings of all the sociological perspectives and under each I'd write out the key studies/writers and any evaluative/contradicting studies.

For sociology, evaluating your points/studies is the most important. Also, don't get too bogged down about remembering dates of studies or names (this is quite important though) because the content of your essays and your argument gets the most marks.

Also, if you've got the time including statistics is very useful for marks! I can still remember one used for gender and education lol they do stick with you!
rebeccaormond
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, any chance of you sending me your A grade essays of family please?
sk942015
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SarahLund)
I got an A (max UMS) at AS, and what worked for me (I'll admit it didn't work for anyone else) is simply copying notes over and over - but in an organised fashion. So like under the topic of "Class and Educational Attainment" I'd have sub-headings of all the sociological perspectives and under each I'd write out the key studies/writers and any evaluative/contradicting studies.

For sociology, evaluating your points/studies is the most important. Also, don't get too bogged down about remembering dates of studies or names (this is quite important though) because the content of your essays and your argument gets the most marks.

Also, if you've got the time including statistics is very useful for marks! I can still remember one used for gender and education lol they do stick with you!
OMG that is exactly what I do!! and many have said to me how that is such a long method but if you think about it realistically its quite a smart method as if you revise in that way you enter the exam knowing your points for everything instead of having to think and waste time. So in my notes whatever a sociologist has said I make sure there is a criticism!

But with for example social policy I just write the policy as AO1 then my AO2 is criticising the policy with a sociologist. Is this correct? :/

Also well done on your grade - can I ask what type of essay structure did you use e.g how many point/paragraphs? Im SO stuck on this as I'm being told lots of structures and I would prefer to know one which gained an A lol.

Thankyouuuuuu
SarahLund
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sk942015)
OMG that is exactly what I do!! and many have said to me how that is such a long method but if you think about it realistically its quite a smart method as if you revise in that way you enter the exam knowing your points for everything instead of having to think and waste time. So in my notes whatever a sociologist has said I make sure there is a criticism!

But with for example social policy I just write the policy as AO1 then my AO2 is criticising the policy with a sociologist. Is this correct? :/

Also well done on your grade - can I ask what type of essay structure did you use e.g how many point/paragraphs? Im SO stuck on this as I'm being told lots of structures and I would prefer to know one which gained an A lol.

Thankyouuuuuu

Nice to see someone else is the same! I felt this method did the exact same for me. I always had evaluative points for the initial points I made so I didn't get flustered with any question.

When it came to policies yeah I'd write them, address their aims/why they were thought to be useful and then criticises - so pretty much the same.

My structure varied from topic to topic depending on my knowledge (I blame English Lit for making me so fickle!) but generally I adopted the strategy of stating a point, using an example study and then evaluate the methodology first of all, then use other sociological perspectives and/or stats. I think I'd do about 4 points on either side of the argument or more if I had the time. As for the amount of paragraphs I'm unsure as sometimes my evaluative point would be so long I'd give it another paragraph.

Also my teacher told me the conclusion is crucial in any essay and even if your final point is incomplete, conclude! It's because you're evaluating the entire argument you've presented as a whole. She said it's best if you remain objective as you weigh up the pros and cons, rather than identifying personally with a perspective.

Also, good luck with exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.58%
No (268)
33.42%

Watched Threads