How to decide which party to vote for! Watch

Nadnight258
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently not old enough to vote but pay attention to my political surroundings and am trying to decide which party I would vote for if I could. I've been inundated with stereotypes about various parties like the Tories being stiff upper lipped, anti poor and ukip being racists (i guess there's some truth in stereotypes) but many party policies, particularly regarding the big three, seem to overlap so how do you go about choosing a party? As a student, education I obviously a big issue for me (anti grammar school (I think we need an entire educational reform)), I do believe in stricter immigration laws, no particular stance on the EU, I think the rich should be taxed more, NHS not privatised, no cuts made should be in education or healthcare, support having a strong military band trident programme, it should be harder to get benefits and I support the bedroom tax. What are the parties platforms based on? What are the main views put forward? And who do you support and why?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nadnight258)
I'm currently not old enough to vote but pay attention to my political surroundings and am trying to decide which party I would vote for if I could. I've been inundated with stereotypes about various parties like the Tories being stiff upper lipped, anti poor and ukip being racists (i guess there's some truth in stereotypes) but many party policies, particularly regarding the big three, seem to overlap so how do you go about choosing a party? As a student, education I obviously a big issue for me (anti grammar school (I think we need an entire educational reform)), I do believe in stricter immigration laws, no particular stance on the EU, I think the rich should be taxed more, NHS not privatised, no cuts made should be in education or healthcare, support having a strong military band trident programme, it should be harder to get benefits and I support the bedroom tax. What are the parties platforms based on? What are the main views put forward? And who do you support and why?
I'm also not old enough to vote, but it seems like you have a broad range of views. I'd most likely say you're closest to the Conservatives (apart from the NHS bit) though the Lib Dems wouldnt be far off either.

Edit: After re-reading, theres definitely a mixture. I'd say you're probably Lib Dems

Posted from TSR Mobile
jasperseaborn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're looking for educational reform then the Green Party represent that.

Stricter immigration laws really depends on how strict you are talking about...If you think that people should be vetted before they are allowed in, well I agree in practice, I think it's crazy that people with previous criminal convictions are let in unchallenged.
Let's face it, most people are concerned about the levels of immigration in this country...I think we have to be wary of the Conservatives and UKip though because we should pride ourselves that we are able to offer people a safe place to live and work, and we actually wouldn't have a horticultural industry if it weren't for immigration. The truth is that most migrants are actually hard-working and honest; immigration only becomes a problem when public services get cut and infrastructure is not sufficient.

Most of what you've said are Green Party policies (taxes for the very wealthy, zero cuts to public services, and an end to privatisation and marketisation) apart from Trident and the bedroom tax being the obvious mismatches.

In terms of trident, do we really believe that having a nuclear arms capability is worth the fortune it costs us? The main threat we face is terrorism and that cannot be defeated or overcome with nuclear weapons; seems more sensible to progress to better and more advanced tech in terms of modern warfare and scrap the obsolete weapons.

If you support the bedroom tax then doesn't that mean that the queen should pay for her 52 guest bedrooms which are vacant most of the time? What about politicians and their second/third homes?
Why is it one rule for the poor and another for the rich?
Is it really fair that people who have been hit hardest by the recession and austerity should then have to pay another tax?

You say you have no stance on the EU. The Greens are planning to make it work better for the UK, seeing as we are in it now, and that is good for trade etc. we might as well make the best of it and get the best deal for Britain...sounds reasonable to me.

I think the Greens are your party of choice, don't listen to the brainwashed masses, unfortunately they have spent too long being manipulated by the media and politicians, and the saddest part is that they think I'm brainwashed when all I'm doing is speaking common sense and voting for hope of a better future for me and future generations.

Finally, I strongly believe that by the time you will be able to vote, the realisation that we need to ditch the old ways (Conservatism, Labour, Lib Dems, UKip etc) and move forward collectively towards sustainability and a more just and fair society, will have become much more widespread and popular, meaning that the Green Party will be a much more respected and popular choice.

PS. I've outlined 3 major reasons why I'm voting Green in another post, go check it out if you're interested.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jasperseaborn)

In terms of trident, do we really believe that having a nuclear arms capability is worth the fortune it costs us? The main threat we face is terrorism and that cannot be defeated or overcome with nuclear weapons; seems more sensible to progress to better and more advanced tech in terms of modern warfare and scrap the obsolete weapons.
This would be fine but Green Policy wants to significantly reduce all our armed forces. Bennet is also seemingly content to let Putin do whatever he wants in Ukraine.

You say you have no stance on the EU. The Greens are planning to make it work better for the UK, seeing as we are in it now, and that is good for trade etc. we might as well make the best of it and get the best deal for Britain...sounds reasonable to me.
They want to put up Tarriffs within the EU which is the most jaw achingly moronic thing I have ever heard of. Not even Ukip are that daft.

I think the Greens are your party of choice, don't listen to the brainwashed masses, unfortunately they have spent too long being manipulated by the media and politicians, and the saddest part is that they think I'm brainwashed when all I'm doing is speaking common sense and voting for hope of a better future for me and future generations.
You automatically lose your argument when you say others are brainwashed but not yourself. What makes you so special to have found the one true path?

Finally, I strongly believe that by the time you will be able to vote, the realisation that we need to ditch the old ways (Conservatism, Labour, Lib Dems, UKip etc) and move forward collectively towards sustainability and a more just and fair society, will have become much more widespread and popular, meaning that the Green Party will be a much more respected and popular choice.
Hopefully by that time Brighton Pavillion (The greens's sole seat) Wont have such a poor record on the enviroment and well, everything. Green Brighton now ranks 302nd out of 326 councils for its recycling record.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9342592/brighton-has-become-an-object-lesson-in-why-it-is-a-disaster-to-vote-green/

OP: Go on a site called vote for policies; You can make up your own mind there.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aside from the bedroom tax you fit well with Labour. On welfare you edge towards the Conservatives, albeit I think the perception that Labour will make it easier for those on benefits is misconceived.

All three main parties have/will put token measures on immigration into their manifestos.

UKIP offer real reform on immigration to make it tighter and more selective.
Greens offer real reform on immigration to make it easier and less selective.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Swanbow)
Aside from the bedroom tax you fit well with Labour.
e.
He thinks there needs to be big changes in education. Tristram Hunt hasn't indicated he'll do anything of any real note.

The libdem education minister recently outlined what he'd be working for:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ols-david-laws

The key Lib Dem policies are:

All teachers in state schools must be qualified, or working towards qualification.
All nurseries must have at least one qualified early years teacher by 2020.
Increase in pupil premium in early years.
Ofsted to inspect academy chains.
Profit-making schools ruled out.
Fund new mainstream schools only where places are needed.
Extend free school meals to all primary pupils.
Ensure fair admissions for all schools.
Help establish a profession-led Royal College of Teachers to oversee training and development.
Establish an independent body responsible for the curriculum and exam standards.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
He thinks there needs to be big changes in education. Tristram Hunt hasn't indicated he'll do anything of any real note.

The libdem education minister recently outlined what he'd be working for:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ols-david-laws

The key Lib Dem policies are:

All teachers in state schools must be qualified, or working towards qualification.
All nurseries must have at least one qualified early years teacher by 2020.
Increase in pupil premium in early years.
Ofsted to inspect academy chains.
Profit-making schools ruled out.
Fund new mainstream schools only where places are needed.
Extend free school meals to all primary pupils.
Ensure fair admissions for all schools.
Help establish a profession-led Royal College of Teachers to oversee training and development.
Establish an independent body responsible for the curriculum and exam standards.
To be fair he didn't state how he wanted the education system reformed, aside from not bringing back grammar schools. He could either agree or disagree with the Lib Dems educational policy.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anti-grammar school: Conservative, Liberal Democrat, Labour, Green
Stricter immigration laws: Conservative, UKIP
Rich should be taxed more: Conservative, Liberal Democratic, Labour, Green, UKIP (?)
No cuts in education: Conservative, Liberal Democrat, Green
No cuts in healthcare: Conservative, Liberal Democrat, Green, UKIP, Labour (Labour have been cutting the NHS in Wales, so I am unsure of this).
Support trident: Conservative, Labour, UKIP
Stricter benefits: Conservative, UKIP
Support Bedroom Tax: Conservative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (8)
28.57%
1 (4)
14.29%
2 (2)
7.14%
3 (3)
10.71%
4 (3)
10.71%
5 (3)
10.71%