The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work Programme 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi I'm 30 and cannot stop checking my emails too will the assessment definately be at Sheffield?
Reply 81
It's really hard to know what they're looking for - they seem to want both career-changers and recent graduates, so I'm sure age and amount of experience in terms of years won't matter too much - it's probably more about how you can use the experience for social work. I'm just trying to forget about it until the 5th of June - in my experience of applying for stuff they never get these things done early! Does anyone know how it all works - are the applications processed by the individual regions, or by some kind of central all-seeing power?
Reply 82
Original post by josey99
It's really hard to know what they're looking for - they seem to want both career-changers and recent graduates, so I'm sure age and amount of experience in terms of years won't matter too much - it's probably more about how you can use the experience for social work. I'm just trying to forget about it until the 5th of June - in my experience of applying for stuff they never get these things done early! Does anyone know how it all works - are the applications processed by the individual regions, or by some kind of central all-seeing power?

I think during the last cohort they were shortlisted by regional areas with quite a few hearing back before the date suggested. However the larger areas (such as central London) took longer to hear back.
In terms of amount of experience I would assume they are more interested in how you can use the experience you have. I mean it's all good and well having years and years of experience but if you can't apply it to social work it won't really help. But at this stage it will all come down to how well we sold ourselves on the application!!!
Original post by crushkirk
Has anyone found out which Uni they will do their theory part at (if they are successful)?. I am struggling to find any pointers or lists of Uni's.

hi. I've applied for Yorkshires and Humberside. Its Salford university delivering training with most lectures being in central Leeds for that region. Manchester metropolitan also deliver the programme to some areas. Not sure who else
Reply 84
Hi Rachel. Another East Midlands fellow.

I'm 32. But as others have said, I don't think it matters. The beauty of this programme is that with the right attitude and experience everyone can have a shot. You just need to be able to apply your skills.
Reply 85
HI,

Im new to the forum but I came to look for a date for when we will find out. Sick with worry haha.

Has my heart set on social work for a bit but cant afford the fees. I was made redundant from my previous job so I went to work in a residential care home so hopefully will get on the course. If not it will be back to the drawing board!
Reply 86
Original post by stimpo66
HI,

Im new to the forum but I came to look for a date for when we will find out. Sick with worry haha.

Has my heart set on social work for a bit but cant afford the fees. I was made redundant from my previous job so I went to work in a residential care home so hopefully will get on the course. If not it will be back to the drawing board!

Hi, mine says being screened. Wait and see. Ive applied for Wirral. Anyone else ?
Reply 87
I think we hear by the 5th June so could be before 😳
Hi Sandwell was my second choice, Walsall first and Birmingham third. I wish they'd get in touch soon!
Original post by AMW1111
Hi, mine says being screened. Wait and see. Ive applied for Wirral. Anyone else ?

I'm close, I applied for Halton, Warrington and Knowsley.
Original post by Speckle17
Just wondering how old people are who have applied? I'm almost 23 but others seem to have years of experience!

I'm 21! I wouldn't worry so much about your age or whether or not you have years of experience, it's more about how you can apply what you know to social work. The beauty of having a wide range of age groups is also differing perspectives on the same thing - I expect lectures/seminars will be more interesting with a diverse group of learners!

I feel fed up and sick of waiting to hear back now. :frown:
Original post by Jadelyndsey
I'm 21! I wouldn't worry so much about your age or whether or not you have years of experience, it's more about how you can apply what you know to social work. The beauty of having a wide range of age groups is also differing perspectives on the same thing - I expect lectures/seminars will be more interesting with a diverse group of learners!

I feel fed up and sick of waiting to hear back now. :frown:

Oh that's good then :smile: I'm dying to hear back! What area have you applied to
Original post by Speckle17
Oh that's good then :smile: I'm dying to hear back! What area have you applied to

North east, specifically Middlesbrough area (first choice). Although I believe I'll be getting a rejection as I do not have my degree classification yet (official results in July!) which I informed them of. All I can do is pray they believe in me, and give me a chance, failing that I'll apply again next year!
Middlesbrough was my first choice too! Mine only went to being screened last week. Hopefully we will hear soon xx
morning everyone. Hoping we all hear something this week and don't have to wait until 5th June. The suspense is killing me!
Original post by Juliab211
morning everyone. Hoping we all hear something this week and don't have to wait until 5th June. The suspense is killing me!

Morning Julia. Me too, I keep going online hoping for an update and checking my emails, but hopefully it won't be to much longer and the wait will all be worth it. Good luck to everyone
Reply 96
Original post by Lisamh85
Morning Julia. Me too, I keep going online hoping for an update and checking my emails, but hopefully it won't be to much longer and the wait will all be worth it. Good luck to everyone

Arghhh its driving me crazy, waiting for a decision. Its horrible. Good luck everyone
Reply 97
Still waiting 😳😁😳😁😳😁😳 would have thought some people would have started to hear by now
Reply 98
Original post by Sue77
Still waiting 😳😁😳😁😳😁😳 would have thought some people would have started to hear by now

I know. Its a nightmare isnt it? Suppose it is good that one one has heard. :frown:
Reply 99
Well within the next two weeks we should all know one way or another 😁. Scary to think there is nothing more we can do to sway their decision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending