The Student Room Group

What can you do a PHD in after pharmacy ?

Reply 1
Original post by Rushika

Unless you have professional experience, I'd say that you need to stick to your degree area. So probably a particular area of pharmacy which has interested you during your undergrad study.

Do you have anything like that?

Try searching www.findaphd.com to see the sorts of PhD research projects on offer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I was wondering if its possible to do a PhD is pharmacology after pharmacy, Ive known some pharmacists to do phD's within pharmacy practice, but the topics seem somewhat not as endearing as doing a pharmacology based research project, although i don't know an awful lot about it if im honest.
Reply 3
Original post by Rushika
I was wondering if its possible to do a PhD is pharmacology after pharmacy, Ive known some pharmacists to do phD's within pharmacy practice, but the topics seem somewhat not as endearing as doing a pharmacology based research project, although i don't know an awful lot about it if im honest.

Depends where you are in your education.

If you're doing A Levels and thinking ahead, then you'll have plenty of time to explore your interests and learn more during your degree. You may even be able to tailor optional modules and your dissertation, towards pharmacology. Choose a degree which allows you to do that - most these days will have detailed course content online.

If you're part way through your degree, then you need to be focussing on pharmacology as far as your course allows. A PhD is a very focussed piece of extended and (largely) independent research. You will need a very good grounding in the basics of your PhD topic, be able to demonstrate an interest in it (via coursework, diss and good exam marks in relevant modules) and be able to sustain a detailed conversation with an interview panel. You could maybe find a member of staff in your department with a particular interest in pharmacology, and ask their advice on how to make yourself a decent PhD candidate.
Go to KFC like most people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending