Quit my job to study for exams? Watch

nosaucethanks
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently working part-time at a local fuel station as a source of earning disposable income. I am from a working-class family and this is my only of income. It has also been beneficial for my sense of self-worth, as well as doing well in my AS Levels. However, as exam season is approaching, I have been considering leaving my job in favour of extra study time. I currently work 6-16 hours per week, but continue to study 3-5 hours most days, as I have been from January.

Does anyone have any views on this? (Consider that I will be leaving the job in August/September for uni regardless).
ElectronDonor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
|It would be better to stop working, your whole life depends on your A levels , if you do bad now then your whole life will be probally working at the local fuel station. A grade could mean the difference between an 30 grand job and a 50 grand job.However if you are supporting your family then keep the job, else leave it , you get more time to study and also get more rest.
newblood
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nosaucethanks)
I am currently working part-time at a local fuel station as a source of earning disposable income. I am from a working-class family and this is my only of income. It has also been beneficial for my sense of self-worth, as well as doing well in my AS Levels. However, as exam season is approaching, I have been considering leaving my job in favour of extra study time. I currently work 6-16 hours per week, but continue to study 3-5 hours most days, as I have been from January.

Does anyone have any views on this? (Consider that I will be leaving the job in August/September for uni regardless).
Definitely leave. Its good you've had a part time job but now its crucial to focus on your exams. Your education is an investment on your future bro. A couple of quid now isnt worth it, when doing well in your exams provides you with the means to be earning so much more when youre older!
JAndrade1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was in your exact position.
I worked at a restaurant about 20 hours a week and decided that quitting was the best course of action for me.

I can't say whether or not it is for you, but you should weight up what is more important in the grand scheme of things.

I don't miss working, but I do miss the cash. Maybe if you can balance it, it would be helpful especially for saving for uni.
samman282
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're gonna quit your job anyway in August, then quit it now. Even if you don't study in the extra time you'll have, you're gonna appreciate the extra time you'll have.
nosaucethanks
Rep:
?
(Original post by ElectronDonor)
|It would be better to stop working, your whole life depends on your A levels , if you do bad now then your whole life will be probally working at the local fuel station. A grade could mean the difference between an 30 grand job and a 50 grand job.However if you are supporting your family then keep the job, else leave it , you get more time to study and also get more rest.
(Original post by newblood)
Definitely leave. Its good you've had a part time job but now its crucial to focus on your exams. Your education is an investment on your future bro. A couple of quid now isnt worth it, when doing well in your exams provides you with the means to be earning so much more when youre older!
Thank you both for the responses; I was thinking along the exact same lines. Despite the facts of the matter making this an obvious one-way decision, I am still finding it difficult to muster the courage to quit! I know it will mean that I will have less money saved for summer and for uni, but I think, in the long-term, this is the right way to go!
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd leave. I'd never consider an optional job as more important than my education.
nosaucethanks
Rep:
?
(Original post by JAndrade1)
I was in your exact position.
I worked at a restaurant about 20 hours a week and decided that quitting was the best course of action for me.

I can't say whether or not it is for you, but you should weight up what is more important in the grand scheme of things.

I don't miss working, but I do miss the cash. Maybe if you can balance it, it would be helpful especially for saving for uni.
Do you think it was beneficial for you in the long term, and did you have any other qualms about leaving other than having less cash?
nosaucethanks
Rep:
?
From the general consensus here, I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet. I can always apply for a summer job. The views are appreciated, everyone!
KH94
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I

I would say quit and study. There a number of reasons why you should do this, and I can't actually think of any reasons not to quit personally.

Just make sure you have enough money to get by with no income.

Good luck.
JAndrade1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you think it was beneficial for you in the long term, and did you have any other qualms about leaving other than having less cash?
Nope, no other worries.

I would like to think there are some improvements in my academic performances. It's also less stress, which helps a lot around exam time. I have no regrets, so I do think it was beneficial.
ElectronDonor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ElectronDonor)
This was once my view but it is in fact a load of rubbish. This is because i acheived grades B C C in my a levels , im studying in a top 20 university and achieving 1st each term, im on the masters programme for this. If you have the drive to succeed you dont need good grades, just a positive resilient attitude, so work as long as you enjoy it and dont feel like it is impacting your life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish