The Student Room Group

Foundation Year- Engineering and Applied Science Help!

I'm currently doing a foundation year in Engineering and Applied science, and I feel like I wont get the grades needed to progress to the first year of a computer science degree that I want to do. I just want to know what options are available for me if I don't get the grades, like if it is possible for me to transfer to another uni and do a computer science degree or anything else. Please, help me.
Some unis might accept you, you may also get resit opportunities be that resitting exams in the summer or retaking the entire year.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
you may also get resit opportunities be that resitting exams in the summer or retaking the entire year.

just adding to this but at my uni there was no resitting the foundation year unless you had very serious extenuating circumstances causing you to fail in which case they would give you one more opportunity....hence if you failed you would get kicked out lol
Original post by a10
just adding to this but at my uni there was no resitting the foundation year unless you had very serious extenuating circumstances causing you to fail in which case they would give you one more opportunity....hence if you failed you would get kicked out lol

Yeah that was supposed to be the case at my uni but we had like 3 resitters in our year and 5 from my year, out of an initial class of about 40 so I guess they don't care too much, just see it as an easy £6,000 :tongue:
Reply 4
Yeah that was supposed to be the case at my uni but we had like 3 resitters in our year and 5 from my year, out of an initial class of about 40 so I guess they don't care too much, just see it as an easy £6,000 :tongue:

My uni takes it pretty seriously there's only about 10-15 of us from foundation year in year 1 from like 50 something (not everyone passed the threshold mark required) lol. Makes sense though they just wanted to keep the standard high!

They are a few resitting year 1 too though they seem to be a bit more laid back with year 1 students!

To OP, take the foundation year seriously and work your ass off....I'm glad I did it! :smile:
Some unis might accept you, you may also get resit opportunities be that resitting exams in the summer or retaking the entire year.

Yeah, I am going to resit some examinations in the summer, but if I do fail them, I don't really want to retake the exams. Also, how would I change to a different uni, when I get my overall results around July lets say?
Original post by nabz615
Yeah, I am going to resit some examinations in the summer, but if I do fail them, I don't really want to retake the exams. Also, how would I change to a different uni, when I get my overall results around July lets say?

I don't know how exactly but I'd guess phone/email, then you'd apply through ucas
As far as I know, Foundation year is pretty easy... I don't think it should be too hard to pass. Best to ask the course organisers of the ones you are looking at to see if you will be accepted. Electronic Engineering and Computer SCience is usually part of the same school so I would it should be okay
Reply 8
Original post by Hana Zener Diode
As far as I know, Foundation year is pretty easy... I don't think it should be too hard to pass. Best to ask the course organisers of the ones you are looking at to see if you will be accepted. Electronic Engineering and Computer SCience is usually part of the same school so I would it should be okay

OP is already doing a Foundation year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey did u pass the foundation year then? and do u mind me asking what uni you did this at?
Original post by Comp.Girl
Hey did u pass the foundation year then? and do u mind me asking what uni you did this at?

yeah i passed my foundation year lmao. Im currently in my second year
Reply 11
Original post by nabz615
yeah i passed my foundation year lmao. Im currently in my second year

I am hoping that I would get a resit in one of the modules because I missed the exam that day (stupid of me ) In case my marks are high on the other modules, and I do well on the resit, do you think the Uni would accept me after retakes? (Im am in foundation year btw hoping to progress to Year 1 Mechanical Engineering degree)
Original post by alsalmi
I am hoping that I would get a resit in one of the modules because I missed the exam that day (stupid of me ) In case my marks are high on the other modules, and I do well on the resit, do you think the Uni would accept me after retakes? (Im am in foundation year btw hoping to progress to Year 1 Mechanical Engineering degree)

A pass in the foundation year means you're accepted into first year, so yes you'd be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest