Sofia Medical University Bulgaria. Watch

Bakamuna96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! Considering applying to Sofia or Varna.
Anyone who is currently in sofia/varna, how is the course, city e.t.c??

any help would be awesome!
Thanks
kwalsfaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm also interested in this! How are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bakamuna96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
via SME
i know people say its unnecessary, but they seem to help quite a bit after and during your time if you need it. You?
kwalsfaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Really expensive though aren't they? Did they help you find finance for your studies?
Bakamuna96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Reasonably, yeah.
Haven't got there yet, i know theres some issues as people who got loans didnt pay them back e.t.c.
What are you thinking of doing?
kwalsfaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Torn between going through them if they provide me with the support and guidance and I have also spoken to Tutelage and Medical Doorway..
kwalsfaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But I need student finance!
helpuni99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
anyone apply straight to sofia?
Bakamuna96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kwalsfaa)
Torn between going through them if they provide me with the support and guidance and I have also spoken to Tutelage and Medical Doorway..
havent spoke to them. Are they much help?
kwalsfaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah both have been helpful although my main issue is funding all of it and no one seems to be able to help with that! So not sure what I'm going to do!

Where are you at currently?
miss_shezza
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm applying for Medicine at Sofia but I'm not really thinking of going through an agency, does anyone now of how and when to apply independently? Any help would be really appreciated, thanks Cheryl
miss_shezza
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was really confused about what you said, I didn't see the anti corruption thing you posted, oops.. Having looked at it, how is there no action being taken if people know there's some corruption? And how did you find all of that? I've been researching the uni for quite some time but never came across anything about the corruption aspect 😮

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ezgame
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All this Anti Plovdiv stuff doesn't seem legitimate to me, I've a friend who was in the year above me who now goes Plovdiv and she said she hasn't heard any of this paying for good grades stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
kwalsfaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm currently doing research and I'm open minded about both sides of this argument.. the only thing I would say is wiki isn't necessarily a reliable source but if the uni is offering student to pay then something needs to be done as there will be unqualified Dr's who will make mistakes and potentially be providing life threatening treatments!...
stardust101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm also planning to study Medicine in Bulgaria but haven't sat AS Levels yet so a bit behind others here

Regarding the corruption, it isn't idea but it isn't necessarily a reflection on the quality of teaching being provided. It may well be that if you choose not to cheat, it's still possible to get a level of education that is adequate to pass the exam to practice in the UK. And that's what we all want. I'm sure few of us would go to Bulgaria at all if we weren't constrained by circumstances!

Does anyone have stats on percentage of graduates from Sofia/Varna who go on practice in the UK?
stardust101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
[QUOTE=stardust101;63244901]Hi, I'm also planning to study Medicine in Bulgaria but haven't sat AS Levels yet so a bit behind others here

Regarding the corruption, it isn't idea but it isn't necessarily a reflection on the quality of teaching being provided. It may well be that if you choose not to cheat, it's still possible to get a level of education that is adequate to pass the exam to practice in the UK. And that's what we all want. I'm sure few of us would go to Bulgaria at all if we weren't constrained by circumstances!

Does anyone have stats on percentage of graduates from Sofia/Varna who go on practice in the UK? This would be helpful to know.
stardust101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well that's just it, it may not make a difference to sitting the exam that would allow one to practice in the UK. To be honest, that would be 'graduating' for me, not the graduation in Bulgaria.

Doctors in the UK come from all corners of the world. Provided your degree isn't from somewhere on the GMC's blacklist, you're in if you can pass that exam. Tellingly and perhaps surprisingly too, Bulgaria isn't on that blacklist. Which is good enough for me, as I'm not a high enough flyer to have a realistic possibility of gaining entrance to a UK university. It probably depends a bit on how ambitious you plan to be in your career. I personally am not ambitious at all and would happy to be just a doctor able to practice in the UK. And there are many, many Bulgarian doctors working in the UK.

I have spent time today talking about these types of issues with someone in admissions at one of the universities I'm considering (can't go into specifics obviously) and yes, I think this is really how I feel.
stardust101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes that makes a lot of sense. It does perhaps also depend on whether you're hoping to go into a competitive field. If you're not picky, I don't think getting a job as a doctor in the UK is going to be a problem in the years to come - going by what present doctors are saying. But yes, a degree from a respected university is lots more desirable than from somewhere known for corruption, regardless of the quality of the teaching.

It's interesting to know that Hungary and Czech are more highly regarded. I hadn't been aware of any medical courses in English in those countries, though.
stardust101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
BTW, I have lived in Hungary and the language is a. complete. nightmare. It could not be harder for an English speaker and is quite unlike the languages of the countries bordering it.
Cooliomed
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stardust101)
Yes that makes a lot of sense. It does perhaps also depend on whether you're hoping to go into a competitive field. If you're not picky, I don't think getting a job as a doctor in the UK is going to be a problem in the years to come - going by what present doctors are saying. But yes, a degree from a respected university is lots more desirable than from somewhere known for corruption, regardless of the quality of the teaching.

It's interesting to know that Hungary and Czech are more highly regarded. I hadn't been aware of any medical courses in English in those countries, though.
Czech Republic have taught in English long before Bulgaria got in on the act. Most know of Charles University First Faculty. My first choice was Palacky University but if I got an offer for Charles First it would be hard to turn down! Masaryk in Brno is my third choice but they do have a lot of UK doctors working here after graduation.

Entrance exams coming up in April so will see what happens.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads