Sofia Medical University Bulgaria. Watch

stardust101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=stardust101;63244901]Hi, I'm also planning to study Medicine in Bulgaria but haven't sat AS Levels yet so a bit behind others here

Regarding the corruption, it isn't idea but it isn't necessarily a reflection on the quality of teaching being provided. It may well be that if you choose not to cheat, it's still possible to get a level of education that is adequate to pass the exam to practice in the UK. And that's what we all want. I'm sure few of us would go to Bulgaria at all if we weren't constrained by circumstances!

Does anyone have stats on percentage of graduates from Sofia/Varna who go on practice in the UK? This would be helpful to know.
Cooliomed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=stardust101;63244921]
(Original post by stardust101)
Hi, I'm also planning to study Medicine in Bulgaria but haven't sat AS Levels yet so a bit behind others here

Regarding the corruption, it isn't idea but it isn't necessarily a reflection on the quality of teaching being provided. It may well be that if you choose not to cheat, it's still possible to get a level of education that is adequate to pass the exam to practice in the UK. And that's what we all want. I'm sure few of us would go to Bulgaria at all if we weren't constrained by circumstances!

Does anyone have stats on percentage of graduates from Sofia/Varna who go on practice in the UK? This would be helpful to know.
So your argument is that you will be able to pass the exams by being clean when there is published evidence that the examiners take bribes to pass students? So you feel you will be on level playing field when other students have paid bungs to the examiners, and you expect those enriching themselves to be happy that you will not play along with their little earner?

Given there is detail in the public domain you don't have to actually be responsible. You may be treated as guilty by association as you will hold a degree from a university that is known to be rather dirty.

About getting a job in the UK. You are aware that all doctors, even those qualifying in the UK, will have to sit an exam to practice here? Good luck with that if you come from a university that cannot stop corrupt practice in its exams system.
stardust101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well that's just it, it may not make a difference to sitting the exam that would allow one to practice in the UK. To be honest, that would be 'graduating' for me, not the graduation in Bulgaria.

Doctors in the UK come from all corners of the world. Provided your degree isn't from somewhere on the GMC's blacklist, you're in if you can pass that exam. Tellingly and perhaps surprisingly too, Bulgaria isn't on that blacklist. Which is good enough for me, as I'm not a high enough flyer to have a realistic possibility of gaining entrance to a UK university. It probably depends a bit on how ambitious you plan to be in your career. I personally am not ambitious at all and would happy to be just a doctor able to practice in the UK. And there are many, many Bulgarian doctors working in the UK.

I have spent time today talking about these types of issues with someone in admissions at one of the universities I'm considering (can't go into specifics obviously) and yes, I think this is really how I feel.
Cooliomed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well that's just it, it may not make a difference to sitting the exam that would allow one to practice in the UK. To be honest, that would be 'graduating' for me, not the graduation in Bulgaria.

Doctors in the UK come from all corners of the world. Provided your degree isn't from somewhere on the GMC's blacklist, you're in if you can pass that exam. Tellingly and perhaps surprisingly too, Bulgaria isn't on that blacklist. Which is good enough for me, as I'm not a high enough flyer to have a realistic possibility of gaining entrance to a UK university. It probably depends a bit on how ambitious you plan to be in your career. I personally am not ambitious at all and would happy to be just a doctor able to practice in the UK. And there are many, many Bulgarian doctors working in the UK.

I have spent time today talking about these types of issues with someone in admissions at one of the universities I'm considering (can't go into specifics obviously) and yes, I think this is really how I feel.
There is however a difference between getting your GMC registration (if one manages to pass the UKMLA) and then convincing a hospital to employ you over someone who has graduated from more recognised and prestigious universities say in Hungary or Czech Republic. Based on my conversations with doctors over the past year they are a lot more highly regarded.

The blacklist is for non-european universities as the GMC is powerless to blacklist universities in the EEA. My concern was not the GMC, as they are hamstrung by european law, but whether I really want to have a university on my cv that has clearly got problems with corruption and how this is going to be perceived by the hospitals in which I would want to work back here (or the USA perhaps). Having a GMC licence doesn't ultimately guarantee a job.
stardust101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes that makes a lot of sense. It does perhaps also depend on whether you're hoping to go into a competitive field. If you're not picky, I don't think getting a job as a doctor in the UK is going to be a problem in the years to come - going by what present doctors are saying. But yes, a degree from a respected university is lots more desirable than from somewhere known for corruption, regardless of the quality of the teaching.

It's interesting to know that Hungary and Czech are more highly regarded. I hadn't been aware of any medical courses in English in those countries, though.
stardust101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BTW, I have lived in Hungary and the language is a. complete. nightmare. It could not be harder for an English speaker and is quite unlike the languages of the countries bordering it.
Cooliomed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes that makes a lot of sense. It does perhaps also depend on whether you're hoping to go into a competitive field. If you're not picky, I don't think getting a job as a doctor in the UK is going to be a problem in the years to come - going by what present doctors are saying. But yes, a degree from a respected university is lots more desirable than from somewhere known for corruption, regardless of the quality of the teaching.

It's interesting to know that Hungary and Czech are more highly regarded. I hadn't been aware of any medical courses in English in those countries, though.
Czech Republic have taught in English long before Bulgaria got in on the act. Most know of Charles University First Faculty. My first choice was Palacky University but if I got an offer for Charles First it would be hard to turn down! Masaryk in Brno is my third choice but they do have a lot of UK doctors working here after graduation.

Entrance exams coming up in April so will see what happens.
stardust101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good luck!!

I lived in Brno. It's fab.

Thanks for the info. Just had a look through the sample entrance papers - they seem AS Level.
Cooliomed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good luck!!

I lived in Brno. It's fab.

Thanks for the info. Just had a look through the sample entrance papers - they seem AS Level.
I have been going through the medical doorway prep materials. About 200 questions on there. Some A/S level some A2 I feel.
TW5897
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to Europe as a back up, so should I apply to Sofia or Charles? Which is, for lack of a better word, better? And Is there anything I should know or look into before applying? What about language barriers?
Cooliomed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TW5897)
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to Europe as a back up, so should I apply to Sofia or Charles? Which is, for lack of a better word, better? And Is there anything I should know or look into before applying? What about language barriers?
Charles is one of the best universities in the world and has been around since the 1300s. There really is no comparison between these two universities. Charles is in the world's top 1.5 percent of unis and Sofia doesn't even feature in these rankings.
FlameRays
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cooliomed)
Charles is one of the best universities in the world and has been around since the 1300s. There really is no comparison between these two universities. Charles is in the world's top 1.5 percent of unis and Sofia doesn't even feature in these rankings.
Hi, Do you know difference between Charles 1, 2 & 3. are they all same or one is better ?
Cooliomed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FlameRays)
Hi, Do you know difference between Charles 1, 2 & 3. are they all same or one is better ?
It is like Oxford but instead of colleges they have faculties. First is the oldest,15th oldest medical school in the world.

I am applying for 1st faculty and have the exam in London on 23rd April.
FlameRays
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is like Oxford but instead of colleges they have faculties. First is the oldest,15th oldest medical school in the world.

Great Thanks, I plan to apply for 3rd faculty as my friend recommended that.
Cooliomed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FlameRays)
Great Thanks, I plan to apply for 3rd faculty as my friend recommended that.
Good luck, I am on the exams for First faculty, Masaryk and Palacky. Hope to get a choice so here is hoping. Thankfully the exams are in London so don't have to go to and from Czech three times!
TW5897
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks, what is the deadline for application, if you don't mind?
I hope it's not too late. I couldn't seem to find it.
Cooliomed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TW5897)
Thanks, what is the deadline for application, if you don't mind?
I hope it's not too late. I couldn't seem to find it.
Don't know. Drop them an e-mail and they should get back to you. If there is space on the exams I don't think it will be a problem.
Aaahh!
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lalala96)
Hi , I am also going to Sofia but I'm studying medicine .
Hey are you in Sofia now?*
mariapatel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! I'm thinking of studying medicine at Sofia medical university via InterHECS.
What do you guys think of studying there so far?
Emziies34
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Heya I'm a first year student going to second year that studies at the Uni. I came through SME and although the experience is different to UK Universities in terms of structure etc ( we learn more subjects) it's still such a good experience, about 80% of the people in my year are British students and my first year was great! I've definitely met long lasting friends, most of the time I forgot I'm abroad. You'll meet lots of people who have come through various companies so when you start everyone's on the same playing feild ( there's no advantage). Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help (:

(Original post by mariapatel)
Hey! I'm thinking of studying medicine at Sofia medical university via InterHECS.
What do you guys think of studying there so far?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?