The Student Room Group

Do you believe in karma? If so, why?

Scroll to see replies

Actual karma is more like cause and effect. Like physics. Not actually what you see on kid's cartoons lol.

If you do something, something else will happen. That is basically what karma is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
:colone:

:angelblush::tongue:
No, scumbags can get ahead in the world too.
No, the concept of karma is completely illogical.
Reply 24
Original post by Birkenhead
I seem to regularly encounter otherwise perfectly rational and intelligent people who believe that the universe repays individuals for their good and bad deeds later down the line.

The idea is as ridiculous to me as horoscopes and I'd like some explanations as to why people believe in karma.

It gives a sense of universal Justice ..

If you follow Eastern religions then it is a fundamental concept as it is closely linked to reincarnation.

Alternatively in the West it is seen as a better approach to the Heaven/Hell paradigm.
Reply 25
Original post by SophieSmall
No, the concept of karma is completely illogical.

Why illogical ? I can see it as unlikely but not illogical
Original post by demx9
Why illogical ? I can see it as unlikely but not illogical

Well depending on which definition you're talking about. I'm talking about the common (probably wrong) one people use in which karma is when if you do something bad then something bad will happen to you. Or if you're a dick bad things will happen to you, and if you're a super duper nice the world will fart rainbows and unicorns into your life.

To me that just seems illogical. I don't see any way that could possibly be logical,
No, because what gives you the right to say what good and bad deeds are, a society that is based on drug abuse and murder in every day life wont see certain acts like murder or drug abuse as wrong and see it as good karma, whereas a society against that will see that as wrong and see it as bad karma.

It's too general to be believable.

(Also bad people get away with stuff all the time :smile:
Reply 28
Well depending on which definition you're talking about. I'm talking about the common (probably wrong) one people use in which karma is when if you do something bad then something bad will happen to you. Or if you're a dick bad things will happen to you, and if you're a super duper nice the world will fart rainbows and unicorns into your life.

To me that just seems illogical. I don't see any way that could possibly be logical,

The correct definition of Karma is "work" or "action". It simply states every intentional action you perform will have an after effect. The sum of Karma in one life will lead to how you are reincarnated.
Reply 29
Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu

Also bad people get away with stuff all the time :smile:

That is why Karma mainly affects your next life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by demx9
The correct definition of Karma is "work" or "action". It simply states every intentional action you perform will have an after effect. The sum of Karma in one life will lead to how you are reincarnated.

Well it's just a fact that every action will cause a reaction. Wouldn't really call that spiritual. I'd call it physics. I also don't believe in reincarnation or any other form of afterlife.
Original post by demx9

So committing hundreds of murders in a society that values murder means I'll be reincarnated as a rich millionaire?
Reply 32
No, because what gives you the right to say what good and bad deeds are, a society that is based on drug abuse and murder in every day life wont see certain acts like murder or drug abuse as wrong and see it as good karma, whereas a society against that will see that as wrong and see it as bad karma.

Also bad Karma derives from intent to harm.
Original post by demx9
Also bad Karma derives from intent to harm.

Yes, but harm can be defined from different perspectives - and your not getting that.
Well it's just a fact that every action will cause a reaction. Wouldn't really call that spiritual. I'd call it physics. I also don't believe in reincarnation or any other form of afterlife.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The first statement is only true if the forces are interaction pairs of the same force.
Reply 35
Yes, but harm can be defined from different perspectives - and your not getting that.

You are assuming moral relativism is correct, which is debatable.

If you show a scene of rape or a murder to different cultures and people, they will all feel a sense of disgust.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
The first statement is only true if the forces are interaction pairs of the same force.

I'm no physicist :tongue: I just remember being taught :

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Sorry it's in big letters and bold, just copied it of the internet and I'm too lazy to faff around with fonts.
No, I don't. I don't believe in another life after this one (although it would be nice) and I see terrible things happen to good people all the time.
Original post by demx9
You are assuming moral relativism is correct, which is debatable.

If you show a scene of rape or a murder to different cultures and people, they will all feel a sense of disgust.

The aztecs brutally carved people's hearts out in front of a crowd of hundreds, the Spanish were disgusted but not the Aztec people.
Reply 39
The aztecs brutally carved people's hearts out in front of a crowd of hundreds, the Spanish were disgusted but not the Aztec people.

Well as I already said ... it is only when you are aware that you are doing wrong that bad Karma is created..
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest