The Student Room Group

Doing GCSE's at uni?

First of all I'd like to apologise for posting this in what I believe to be the wrong forum topic - I wasn't able to post a question via the 'Post' feature on the green header bar at the very top of this page, under the 'Uni courses' tick-box, as the pathetic feature enforces a selection of a course, and I don't want to post my question in a completely irrelevant course's forum-topic.

Anyway, I was wondering - are you able to do extra GCSE's (that you didn't do at high school or college) in university?

I've been self-studying Spanish for a while now but I want evidence to show future employers that I can speak another language - I'd rather not just say I'm able to speak it but actually prove that I can speak it by being tested on it.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Reply 1
None of the unis I've been to have offered actual GCSE teaching. My current uni offers a range of language tuition which can be accessed by all students, but they don't follow a GCSE syllabus and are mostly informal conversational classes or self-study online or via CD-ROM. However maybe you could do a Spanish GCSE through evening classes at a nearby school/college.
Reply 2
Original post by jamespeliby
First of all I'd like to apologise for posting this in what I believe to be the wrong forum topic - I wasn't able to post a question via the 'Post' feature on the green header bar at the very top of this page, under the 'Uni courses' tick-box, as the pathetic feature enforces a selection of a course, and I don't want to post my question in a completely irrelevant course's forum-topic.

Anyway, I was wondering - are you able to do extra GCSE's (that you didn't do at high school or college) in university?

I've been self-studying Spanish for a while now but I want evidence to show future employers that I can speak another language - I'd rather not just say I'm able to speak it but actually prove that I can speak it by being tested on it.

You could put in for private entry, although your university will likely have language assessments that correspond to the European framework. Basically, you can usually pay a couple of hundred quid for a taught module plus assessment. If you have flexible credits you may be able to do it for free. I think GCSE roughly puts you in the area of ~A2 although without any previous qualifications they will likely start you in A1. You can do A1+A2 in one academic year though so it's not like you're waiting around too much, and it will help get you into a routine with it.
Original post by jamespeliby

hola you can't do it as GCSE but some places have what they call A IWLP basically a language unit added on to your degree you could do that it actually counts towards your degree if you want it to.
Try your university language centre. It isn't GCSE but they do offer qualifications usually, and the topics will be of much more relevance than those taught at GCSE.
You can do GCSEs online thats what im doing in my first year just because I want gcse maths not just level 2 maths.

Quick Reply

Latest