How do you revise for AS AQA English Lit B and AQA English Lang B?

Watch
supernerdural
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, I am terrible at revising. Seriously, I am the worst.

I got by GCSEs with no revision, but I need to revise now and I have no clue how to do it. Do I reread the books for lit? Do I memorise the jargon for lang? Please give me suggestions.

If it helps, for lit I'm studying The Kite Runner, Enduring Love, Browning's poems and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. For lang I'm most likely to do language and gender with the categorising texts, but I still want to revise language and power a little bit just in case the gender question is awful.
koolthing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hello!! i too am doing the kite runner and browning! for browning i've written notes on each of the poems under these titles which are essentially the aspects of narrative: title, subtitle (eg. the patriot - "an old story" could signify that the story being told is timeless and doesn't have a specific time frame) form, summary of the story being told, voice/point of view, scene and place, characterisation, time and sequence, destination, structure, language

on the other hand, much like yourself im also struggling with the novels i suppose just making notes on where each aspect of narrative like scene and place, time and sequence etc comes into the book would help!! think yourself lucky you're not doing the god of small things haha

hope this helped!!!
Deagdavies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With regards to LitB1, I'm doing Rime and Kite, too! (re-takes, lol) Basically although the exam is open book it's definitely worth memorising some quotes because you don't want to waste precious time looking for quotes. Also, broadly speaking you should have read your texts 3 times by the time of the exam, so if you can fit that in it would be really beneficial because you'll know the texts so well, however if you can't just make sure you've read it at least once more.

Rime is a good one to write about in section A especially for the bit where it says: 'explain how Colderidge narrates the story in chapter blah blah...' because the structure and form are almost always the same so you can have vaguely pre planned answer, a good chance think about what you want to say for that. Also, he uses almost all of the same literary devices in each section so write those down and make sure you can spot them.

I'd also say take a look at past paper questions and get in the habit of making plans and getting your teachers to check them, it will be really helpful.

If you're planning on using your other texts for the section A make sure you know the chapters really really well otherwise you'll spend way too long trying to remember what happened in that specific chapter.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
13.48%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (20)
22.47%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (39)
43.82%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (15)
16.85%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.37%

Watched Threads