lizmoo0721
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
World of Cultural Diversity
  • Explore the impact of globalisation on cultural diversity
  • Research a range of locations with contrasting levels of cultural diversity to understand why they vary
Is anyone has any case study suggestions or any ideas that we could use please add to this thread.
I'll start a list of case studies that we could use. I personally don't think this is a bad pre-release or topic to do once we've planned it ect.

CASE STUDIES
  • Viacom or any other international media corporation
  • Huntington Theory and other contrasting views of cultural diversity
  • Islam Fundamentalism - this one is quite tricky to do within context (I think)
  • Consumerist Culture - China
  • Localised Culture - this can be anywhere really Any sort of tribe that exists in its ancient traditions while society around them is fairly developed
I was thinking of also doing contrasting levels of diversity in urban cities that have become developed through globalisation and rural cities that are not, and how they have little cultural diversity.
tiejazz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OMG I hate culture sooooo much. The pre-release is terrible...just gonna pass out I think
tiejazz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Case studies we have done so far areeeeeee:
  1. McDonalds
  2. Coke in Mexico
  3. Media in France
  4. Immigration - south korea, japan
  5. Tourism - Andamann Islands and Bali
  6. Cornwall
FlossieH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys
I am kinda struggling on this topic! I mean I love it but im going too much in to theories/sociology I think...
Anyway my case studies are...

India: silvepura (traditional town being swallowed up by Bangalore's suburbs)
religion and how they perceive globalisations (quantitative)
cobra gypsies

China- indigenous fishing community
might go on to rural urban divides

MediA and how it is perceived differently (USA vs Trinidad)

London and how it is diverse but at the same time there are pockets of cultures..

not sure where else though...
lizmoo0721
Rep:
?
(Original post by FlossieH)
Hey guys
I am kinda struggling on this topic! I mean I love it but im going too much in to theories/sociology I think...
Anyway my case studies are...

India: silvepura (traditional town being swallowed up by Bangalore's suburbs)
religion and how they perceive globalisations (quantitative)
cobra gypsies

China- indigenous fishing community
might go on to rural urban divides

MediA and how it is perceived differently (USA vs Trinidad)

London and how it is diverse but at the same time there are pockets of cultures..

not sure where else though...
Sounds good! What theories are you doing? I'm doing the Hyperglobaliers, Trans and Sceptics. I'm not sure whether or not to do Huntingtons???

I'm doing London too, and I am going to talk about China Town (homogenised) in an area of high levels of cultural diversity..

FlossieH
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lizmoo0721)
Sounds good! What theories are you doing? I'm doing the Hyperglobaliers, Trans and Sceptics. I'm not sure whether or not to do Huntingtons???

I'm doing London too, and I am going to talk about China Town (homogenised) in an area of high levels of cultural diversity..

Hey! theories for unit four... erm those perspectives you have mentioned and then culture as a complex entity and like the economic determining aspect of globalisation. Hybridity, perceptions and values of culture are probs guna be in my report .
Iv never heard of Huntingdonn! But just looked it up and looks intresting, def valid if you can integrate it well in to your report. Might go well Could link it to a divide of haves and have nots, (loosers v winners of globalisation as two emerging global cultures)

How were you thinking of including it?
benji109
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

• Research a range of locations with contrasting levels of cultural diversity to understand why they vary

Is anyone has any case study suggestions or any ideas that we could use please add to this thread.
I'll start a list of case studies that we could use. I personally don't think this is a bad pre-release or topic to do once we've planned it ect.

CASE STUDIES
  • Viacom
  • Disney
  • Islam
  • China - consumerism

Hey, i've got similar case studies but also things along the lines of Amish, North Korea, San Fransico.

What kinds of questions have you predicted, im struggling to decide whether it will be around whether diversity varies between locations or how globalisation leads to a single global culture? Just wondering if you had any thoughts, if that makes any sense.
lizmoo0721
Rep:
?
(Original post by benji109)
Hey, i've got similar case studies but also things along the lines of Amish, North Korea, San Fransico.

What kinds of questions have you predicted, im struggling to decide whether it will be around whether diversity varies between locations or how globalisation leads to a single global culture? Just wondering if you had any thoughts, if that makes any sense.
I'm going to edit that top section in a minute because I actually changed a lot question wise I have no idea. I think they will ask for both globalisation and cultural diversity, so along the lines of "how and to what extent is cultural diversity impacted by globalisation" or something like that,
Caity Frances
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

CASE STUDIES
  • Viacom or any other international media corporation
  • Huntington Theory and other contrasting views of cultural diversity

• Islam Fundamentalism - this one is quite tricky to do within context (I think)
  • Consumerist Culture - China
  • Localised Culture - this can be anywhere really Any sort of tribe that exists in its ancient traditions while society around them is fairly developed

I was thinking of also doing contrasting levels of diversity in urban cities that have become developed through globalisation and rural cities that are not, and how they have little cultural diversity.
McDonalds as an MNC spreading its sphere of influence globally by the theme of McDonalisation and Americanisation in America by being homogenous and compare it to French protectionism in France trying to preserve its national identity and restoring its original culture i.e. heterogeneous. This shows the opposing sides and negatives and positives of Globalisation's impact on cultural diversity.
lizmoo0721
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caity Frances)
McDonalds as an MNC spreading its sphere of influence globally by the theme of McDonalisation and Americanisation in America by being homogenous and compare it to French protectionism in France trying to preserve its national identity and restoring its original culture i.e. heterogeneous. This shows the opposing sides and negatives and positives of Globalisation's impact on cultural diversity.
Yes, I spoke about that too, included it in the Westernisation sections. Thanks for the idea about France, I might be stealing that!
Caity Frances
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I spoke about that too, included it in the Westernisation sections. Thanks for the idea about France, I might be stealing that!
I used it for my Unit 4 exam which was the same question just worded differently and I got an A. Good luck!
drewsalexia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anybody know how long we should spend on our introduction, main body of the report and conclusion?
tiejazz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably 10mins on intro and conclusion... They are worth quite a lot of marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
drewsalexia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tiejazz)
Probably 10mins on intro and conclusion... They are worth quite a lot of marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! I end up spending 15mins+ on my introduction 😳😳 I really need to cut it down
FlossieH
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
how is everyone structuring it?!?! I have an exam on Thursday that I haven't really yet revised for and this one which iv done one mock in and I did rubbish ah this is stressful
and I always struggle with the structure like two sides seems to simple?!
samsu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what case studies/theories is anyone using?
georgiaobrien
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm using,
-Hyperglobalisers, Transformationalists and Sceptics
-Huntingtons thesis
-McDonaldisation
-China Town
-Isis
- (several studies relating to local culture being swamped by globalisation)
-Media Influences
and then i'll have an introduction and conclusion.
Does this sound alright in comparison what everyone is doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed