Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Geography A2 Unit 4: Tectonic Activity & Hazards - 19th June 2015 watch

ReputationRep:
    Tectonic Activity & Hazards 2015

• Explore the physical and human factors which cause some hazards to have a more disastrous impact than others.

• Research contrasting examples of hazardous events to examine why the impact of these events on populations varies.

What do you think of the pre-release?
    What possible questions could there be?
    Which case studies/diagrams should we use?
    What are the best physical and human factors to use?

Thought it would be quite good to discuss ideas!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Good thread +1

ReputationRep:
    I've just posted this on a different thread but does anyone know whether it is relevant to bring in hazard event profiles to compare two different tectonic events?

ReputationRep:
    yes it's a brilliant way to compare the same sort of event happening in countries with different levels of development!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0and%20Hazards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amforsyth)
    Tectonic Activity & Hazards 2015

• Explore the physical and human factors which cause some hazards to have a more disastrous impact than others.

• Research contrasting examples of hazardous events to examine why the impact of these events on populations varies.

What do you think of the pre-release?
    What possible questions could there be?
    Which case studies/diagrams should we use?
    What are the best physical and human factors to use?

Thought it would be quite good to discuss ideas!!
    I think that the pre-release is hinting at question EQ1.It might be based around Dregg's model. For case studies, I have no idea which ones to use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koshal)
    I think that the pre-release is hinting at question EQ1.It might be based around Dregg's model. For case studies, I have no idea which ones to use?
    Event profiles.

Also Degg yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeAndLennie)
    Event profiles.

Also Degg yes.
    Also it may be hinting at enquiry 3 as it may be possible to talk about different levels of development?
    Case studies at different levels of development
    · Earthquake MEDC/LEDC – Kashmir, Kobe, Haiti, Balochistan, Christchurch
    · Volcano MEDC/LEDC – Eyjafjallajoekull, Montserrat, Mt Etna
    · Tsunami MEDC/LEDC - Hokkaido, Sendai, Asian tsunami

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeshaAK)
    Also it may be hinting at enquiry 3 as it may be possible to talk about different levels of development?
    Case studies at different levels of development
    · Earthquake MEDC/LEDC – Kashmir, Kobe, Haiti, Balochistan, Christchurch
    · Volcano MEDC/LEDC – Eyjafjallajoekull, Montserrat, Mt Etna
    · Tsunami MEDC/LEDC - Hokkaido, Sendai, Asian tsunami
    completely fine:

What im doing is getting case studies for LEDC v MEDC also magnitude. Different strategies how they coped, and why the other country coped better, human strategies worked well in favour as more developed, but economically more destroyeed etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, has anyone received any notes, advice, etc from their teachers about the report?? I am lostttt and teacher isn't helping..what are the "causes"?what are you guys thinking of using as physical vs human? And how are you thinking of structuring this report?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I don't have a problem finding which case studies - its rather what to use from those case studies that I'm worried about!

ReputationRep:
    Hey can someone please send in any notes for the case studies for his question, mine are so messed up

ReputationRep:
    As tragic as it is, the Nepal earthquake is looking like a great case study to use !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amforsyth)
    As tragic as it is, the Nepal earthquake is looking like a great case study to use !!
    YEs!

ReputationRep:
    YEs!
    My teacher told us not to use it as a case study as it is contemporary? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeshaAK)
    My teacher told us not to use it as a case study as it is contemporary? :confused:
    Mostly most people will use it
    And examiners cannot discredit for using it and it isn't contemporary lol, this is a research paper. You researched and found it
    And more marks available for keeping up to date.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly most people will use it
    And examiners cannot discredit for using it and it isn't contemporary lol, this is a research paper. You researched and found it
    And more marks available for keeping up to date.
    Exactly! Dunno why he said it, anyway. I will use it Has anyone got notes on case studies anyway? Earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis?

ReputationRep:
    How much are we supposed to write? We cannot fit everything in, better to write in detail for a few.
    For human factors I got:
    1.How level of development affect vulnerability, capacity to cope and recovery.
    For physical I got:
    1.Magnitude
    2. frequency
    3. areal extent
    You guys have more good points to add on?
    I don't really know what else to write for human factors

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any model answers we can take a look at? I'm not really sure about how detailed my main body points have to be.

I would much prefer to write lots of succinct points and get marks, as opposed to writing long winded paragraphs!

ReputationRep:
    Another good way to structure the report is to put a human and a physical factor together in each subsection. I've done this for the past few practise reports we've done and I've found it more helpful.
    For example, if the question is "'Tectonic hazards always lead to disaster'. Discuss.":
    1.0 Introduction
    2.0 Methodology
    3.0 A high magnitude event striking a less developed area will cause disaster.
    3.1 A infrequent event striking a less prepared area will cause disaster.
    3.2 An event that has a large areal extent that strikes a densely populated area will cause disaster. (ONLY TO BE DONE IF THERE'S TIME LEFT)
    4.0 Conclusion
    5.0 Bibliography

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.