The Student Room Group

At a crossroads. Work or Uni?

I'm in my 20s and don't know what to do with my life :s-smilie:.

There's a career idea I have that requires a degree but it would mean staying at my parents place for 3 years. I really have this issue about being mid-to late 20s and living at home :frown:.

Either that or I get a job (I don't know what!) and move out to finally have my own place, get a car, basically live like an actual adult!

I know lots of people will say study you'll get a better job but to me it feels so far away when I'll finally have a 'proper' job and my own place. I want that now.

But then if I start work I'll probably have to something I hate and move really far from my family because rent is too high here.

This feels like quarter life crisis. :bawling:

What should I do :confused::confused::confused:
I heard quite an inspiring interview on a Podcast about this (sadly, I forget which one). It was something along the lines of "If you have a life project, then do that. If you don't, go to college / university and get an education."

It sounds like you don't really have a life project so the advise would be to go to uni. However, don't do it on a whim because you don't have anything better to do and don't limit yourself to the university near to where your parents live. If you are going to do it, do it properly.

However, if your main goal in life is to move out of your parents house, make that your life project and make decisions that allow you to achieve that goal.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest