Back Titration help

Watch this thread
Fruitbasket786
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I know how titration works but for back titration I don't have any idea what it is and what difference there is with it and normal titration. I just want to know since I have an ISA exam and I just want to be sure about back titrations before I get into it.

Note: I'm not asking for specific details about the exam itself, I just want to know what back titration is and the difference between ordinary titration and if there's any potential calculations I can get out of back titration
GDN
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fruitbasket786)
I know how titration works but for back titration I don't have any idea what it is and what difference there is with it and normal titration. I just want to know since I have an ISA exam and I just want to be sure about back titrations before I get into it.

Note: I'm not asking for specific details about the exam itself, I just want to know what back titration is and the difference between ordinary titration and if there's any potential calculations I can get out of back titration
In a normal titration you react one solution with another - in a back titration you take a solution (e.g. an acid of known conc and volume) then add something that will react with some of the acid. After reaction has occurred you the titrate the remaining acid with base of known concentration - by determining how much acid was present initially (number of moles) and how much acid remains after reaction you can calculate the number of moles of acid which reacted with the substance you added and hence how many moles of the substance you added reacted.

as an example you could work out the % purity of CaCO3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (20)
16.95%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
26.27%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (63)
53.39%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.39%

Watched Threads