Food Technology- anyone else hate it with a passion? Watch

Rhoma
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
At my school, you HAD to choose a tech. There were options of textiles, food tech, computer graphics and woodwork. Textiles is not my strong point, I can't even thread a needle, let alone construct a whole dress or whatever, and my textiles teacher told me I probably would not pass as I'd never really done much textiles; I'd already started the IT course (we chose our tech as one of our GCSE's a few weeks into year ten) and computer graphics was too similar to take as well; and woodwork? Well, I was taken out of woodwork year 7- year 9 for G&T English, and had no idea whatsoever any of the equipment did.

So foodtech was really my only option, and the only one I'd stand a chance of passing. I hated it with a passion from the beginning, and my mum caught me getting stressed over it one night, and said to me, just pass it. Get a C, and don't let it stress you out. I'm taking higher tier for everything, and am expecting high grades in all subjects. I've even taken GCSE's a year early (triple science) and coped fine with the stress. However, food tech is becoming unbearable. The coursework is so bland, I find myself filling out a table for why I used a knife to cut something up. The table literally goes:

wooden stirring spoon: to stir sauce
knife: to cut things up
pan: to cook food in.

The deadline for ft coursework is tomorrow. I have a drama exam tomorrow, actual GCSE, and have spent the whole evening going over that. My food tech coursework is almost finished, however, to a minimum standard. I have so much revision to do, and I honestly have no intention of revising food tech. I'll get a C, as I did in the mocks, without revision.

Basically, I'm taking an entire GCSE I hate, and only putting in enough effort to pass the exam and coursework. I feel guilty about this, but then I remember that spending hours a week on coursework for a gcse which my college don't care about is fruitless, especially when it's affecting my other studies.

if I had known how utterly fed up I was going to feel, I would have not started the coursework, and refused to take the subject. I could have used the three lessons a week for revision, or something useful.

I feel childish to be perfectly honest. I normally do things I don't want do do without complaint- I also took French which I hate, but I took it to get good results and am coping well. However, I don't see the point in affecting my other GCSE's for the sake of one which my college have admitted they don't care if I pass or not.

does anyone else feel like this about food tech? Or is it just me? I want to pass it- I've spent money on this GCSE, and hours on coursework. But passing it is enough for me...
CharmingCat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At my old school, I had to take Catering because there were no other suitable options in the same block. Like you, I found it completely useless because it was basically going over every single thing I knew about cookery! My teacher, who was newly qualified, had no clue on how to control the class, and would usually tell us about her love life. Good times...
Surely it isn't possible for your school to let you drop Food Tech? It sounds so unfair!
Rhoma
Rep:
?
(Original post by CharmingCat)
At my old school, I had to take Catering because there were no other suitable options in the same block. Like you, I found it completely useless because it was basically going over every single thing I knew about cookery! My teacher, who was newly qualified, had no clue on how to control the class, and would usually tell us about her love life. Good times...
Surely it isn't possible for your school to let you drop Food Tech? It sounds so unfair!
I would love to drop it and I think if I made enough of a fuss they'd let me drop it. But I've spent money on ingredients, and even the small amount of work I did took hours, so I don't want nothing from it. It is unfair, especially as the year straight after me got told tech was optional. It was so frustrating?
CharmingCat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rhoma)
I would love to drop it and I think if I made enough of a fuss they'd let me drop it. But I've spent money on ingredients, and even the small amount of work I did took hours, so I don't want nothing from it. It is unfair, especially as the year straight after me got told tech was optional. It was so frustrating?
I can totally see your point, but at least Food Tech is relatively easy - your hard work should hopefully result in a pass! Well, are your other options enjoyable? If so, just focus on them more than Food Tech, though I know from experience that it's easier said than done!
Rhoma
Rep:
?
(Original post by CharmingCat)
I can totally see your point, but at least Food Tech is relatively easy - your hard work should hopefully result in a pass! Well, are your other options enjoyable? If so, just focus on them more than Food Tech, though I know from experience that it's easier said than done!
it is easy, it's just the coursework which is time consuming, especially on my schools ancient computers. xD My other options are enjoyable, drama is fun, I find history interesting and ICT is pretty easy. I handed the coursework in, and most of its done, so that will hopefully get me at least a C.
farah1234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
same, i hate it soooo much. so. much. time. involved.
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally food technology is one of my favourite subjects , it's a fairly easy, fun, relaxing lesson

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2365021
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Granted, tedious. But still a GCSE still a qualification. This pretty easy to pass it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (140)
52.24%
No (128)
47.76%

Watched Threads