The Student Room Group

Does using crowd funding make me a bad person

I want to volunteer over the summer at a women's education centre in Kenya, I am planning to raise the money through my wages, car boot sales and cake sales etc

however one of my family told me they wouldn't be donating as "if I want a holiday" I should pay for it myself

should I take down my page and return donations?

Scroll to see replies

No. As long as you've not misrepresented what you'll do with the money you've done nothing wrong.
PM me and I'd be happy to donate
Reply 3
Original post by IcEmAn911
PM me and I'd be happy to donate ������
thank you but I think I'm taking it down anyway
Reply 4
No.

If people didn't think it was worthwhile, they wouldn't volunteer their money. Your relative is within their rights to refuse to contribute, but it doesn't make them right and your donors wrong. You're working hard to get the money together.
Reply 5
Original post by Birkenhead
No. As long as you've not misrepresented what you'll do with the money you've done nothing wrong.
I don't feel like I have, however now I feel as if if I really want to help these women I should raise all the funds myself
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
No.

If people didn't think it was worthwhile, they wouldn't volunteer their money. Your relative is within their rights to refuse to contribute, but it doesn't make them right and your donors wrong. You're working hard to get the money together.

I think it hurt more that he thought it was just a holiday when I had put a lot of research and thought into picking a project that I genuinley wanted to make a difference in and not just any old trip
Reply 7
Original post by cbeattie
I don't feel like I have, however now I feel as if if I really want to help these women I should raise all the funds myself

Why lol, I doubt the women will give a **** where you got the money.

"Oh, you crowdfunded? Get away from me she-demon, I'd rather die uneducated".
Reply 8
I see where you're coming from. However, having people donating to fund you rather than donating straight to a charity is far better. Your efforts are invaluable, priceless even, in comparison to donation straight to charity. Crowd funding is the way to do it, they help you to help others.
Reply 9
I think it hurt more that he thought it was just a holiday when I had put a lot of research and thought into picking a project that I genuinley wanted to make a difference in and not just any old trip

Whatever you do in your life, there will always be someone getting the wrong end of the stick. Don't let it get to you - it's their problem not yours. You can come back from Kenya with evidence of all the positive things you've been doing. If they still think it was a rest cure, just leave them to it.
Reply 10
Original post by Arkasia
Why lol, I doubt the women will give a **** where you got the money."Oh, you crowdfunded? Get away from me she-demon, I'd rather die uneducated".

I suppose so, I still want to go and I'm preparing a lot like I have a volunteer placement in Manchester working with HIV positive people so I can understand it more before I go, I'm really taking it seriously and I guess it just hurt
Reply 11
Original post by Klix88
Whatever you do in your life, there will always be someone getting the wrong end of the stick. Don't let it get to you - it's their problem not yours. You can come back from Kenya with evidence of all the positive things you've been doing. If they still think it was a rest cure, just leave them to it.

Thank you, I guess I just need thicker skin haha
Reply 12
Original post by DHWingtip
I see where you're coming from. However, having people donating to fund you rather than donating straight to a charity is far better. Your efforts are invaluable, priceless even, in comparison to donation straight to charity. Crowd funding is the way to do it, they help you to help others.

I hope so, I just want to do the right thing
There is nothing wrong with raising money for it so long you are up front about it.

Personally I deplore voluntourism, but I'm not here to judge.
Reply 14
Original post by Swanbow
There is nothing wrong with raising money for it so long you are up front about it.

Personally I deplore voluntourism, but I'm not here to judge.

Thank you, all opinions really are welcome I want to make the right decision whether I keep the page up or take it down so feel free to expand
Not at all, if people are daft enough to pay for your holiday milk them for all they've got imho.
Thank you, all opinions really are welcome I want to make the right decision whether I keep the page up or take it down so feel free to expand

I think this article puts it across quite well http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/voluntourism-is-a-waste-of-time-and-money--and-gappers-are-better-off-working-in-britain-9816837.html

But by all means if it something you really want to do then I wouldn't want to dissuade you from doing so.
It's fine as long as you don't lie about what you're doing or (to an egregious extent) try to dress it up to make it look more worthwhile than it is. It's not like you're some non-transparent corporatised charity soliciting donations from which only a questionable amount will go to the activity in question. With transparency, it is one of the freer markets in our society.
If you find yourself asking this question then you're probably not a bad person.
Reply 19
Original post by Swanbow
I think this article puts it across quite well http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/voluntourism-is-a-waste-of-time-and-money--and-gappers-are-better-off-working-in-britain-9816837.html

But by all means if it something you really want to do then I wouldn't want to dissuade you from doing so.

Thank you for your perspective, a lot of the things mentioned in the article I considered when picking my placement, I'm doing a placement at a HIV centre in Manchester, I really want to understand the issues I'll be facing so I can actually make a difference this won't just be a holiday for me and hopefully it won't stop when I return home for uni either.

Quick Reply

Latest