Racism = prejudice + power, thoughts?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
SerLorasTyrell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What are your opinions on the new-age feminist definition of racism that involves "prejudice + power"?

What do you think about it being used to disregard people's experiences of something that falls directly under the dictionary definition of racism, solely because of their skin colour?
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
white people can't be victims of racism
SerLorasTyrell
Rep:
?
(Original post by bittr n swt)
So if an asian gang attack a white man solely because he is white, it is not a racist attack? I'm pretty sure that it would and be charged as such in the courts.

Aren't you meaning institutional racism?
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
So if an asian gang attack a white man solely because he is white, it is not a racist attack? I'm pretty sure that it would and be charged as such in the courts.

Aren't you meaning institutional racism?
yes that's what i mean
SerLorasTyrell
Rep:
?
yes that's what i mean
That's fine. However there is a worrying large amount of people using the definition of institutional racism in place of actual racism.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
I think people are either clearly deluded or really thick if they genuinely think there is discrimination against the majority/privileged could never happen under any circumstances.

I've read someone saying that, for example, reverse discrimination doesn't exist for sexism, meaning men cannot possibly be discriminated against based on sexism.

I have a very good real-life example:

In Hong Kong, there are a lot of parents looking for tutors for their children online. Yet, regardless of the sex of their children, many of those parents look exclusively for female tutors for any and all subjects for any and all year levels. How could that possibly be not sexism? Do tutors with a vagina teach better?
al_94
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are these people racist to so called "whites"?

johnnythewestie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Why can't they? You can't just come on here and redefine a word to fit in with your prejudices.
You are either disingenuous or need to invest in a decent dictionary - I'll stick with my Oxford English Dictionary which defines racism as: "1) belief in the superiority of a particular race, 2) discrimination against other races, 3) belief that human abilities are determined by race."
No mention of power relationships there. You can't just drive a horse and cart through the English language and expect to be taken seriously.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Utter, illogical, racist nonsense.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.09%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.37%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.7%
I need help with my personal statement (64)
42.95%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
24.16%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.01%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.71%

Watched Threads