The Student Room Group

TV license

Thinking of getting a tv for next year and I know you need a tv license for live tele. How likely is it to get caught for not having a license? I'll be living in a large house thats been divided into flats if thats of any relevance.
I'm going to presume you won't be watching live tv.

Don't let tv 'inspectors' into the house, they can't come in without your permission and they no powers whatsoever.

Don't let G4S employees in to 'read your meter' because they double up as tv inspectors sometimes and they will fine you if they see you watching live tv and sometimes even lie and say it's if your tv is on.

Try not to have the tv by the window [especially with an aerial on it] and if you do just tell them you don't watch live services and it's only used for the pc. Don't give them any other information, you don't need to answer their questions, just close the door.

NEVER sign a piece of paper that they will tell you is just to confirm 'they have visited'. Chances are it is a form admitting that you use live tv services without a license. Don't believe me google it.

So to recap... can I come in? or I need to come in to inspect your house for a tv Madam! Answer: That won't be possible.. [You don't have to give them a reason but 'I don't want a stranger in my house, you'll have to leave' will cover it].

Do you have a tv? I don't use any tv in this house to watch live services.

I saw a tv through your window.
I do not use any TV's in this house that are used to receive live services.

I'll have to come in and confirm that as a TV inspector. No you don't have my permission to come in i'd like to leave/I have to go now.

So you use your tv for your computer... Do you watch i player live? No I don't use any TV's in this house to watch any kind of live services, i'd like you to leave now/ I have to go now.

Oh okay sorry to have disturbed you... can you sign this paper to confirm i've visited? No, bye. *slam*

That is pretty much the definitive guide. Personally I think their is a way to write to the companies to withdraw their employees implied right of access? Do this with G4s and the tv license company.

They will write to you saying we reserve the right to use our detector vans and you will taken to court if our vans detect a signal but as far as I know these vans are just scare tactics, they have as much chance of catching you with assistance from a UFO. Google it if you want.

You'll get a ton of letters too btw. Fill out the form to say you don't need a license and just ignore the others that come through and they will come through btw. When we did this in our student house 7 years ago [and we genuine didn't watch any live tv just went online for everything] they sent us 3 to 4 letters threatening letters every week!

It's actually pretty easy as long as you are on the ball. If nothing else remember you can ask them to leave and close the door at any time without answering questions or dealing with them. They have no powers of any sort.

I don't recommend you break the law but at the same time anyone who genuine does not watch live tv needs to know this because they mostly work on commission and will try all kinds of dirty tricks on you to get a conviction and get their commission/ hit targets- whether you lawfully need a license or not. [see the letter signing thing above].
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by eskimo_rising

x

Cheers for that. Guess I won't be paying for a tv license.
Reply 3
Original post by vela1
Thinking of getting a tv for next year and I know you need a tv license for live tele. How likely is it to get caught for not having a license? I'll be living in a large house thats been divided into flats if thats of any relevance.

What type of tenancy do you have, joint or separate/individual?

Please don't ask for tips on how to break the law.
Reply 4
Original post by Reue
What type of tenancy do you have, joint or separate/individual? Please don't ask for tips on how to break the law.

Its a 3 bed flat that I'm sharing with two other people.
Reply 5
Original post by vela1
Its a 3 bed flat that I'm sharing with two other people.

That didn't answer the question :wink:

Did you sign a tenancy with these people? Or were you all dealt with separately?
Reply 6
Original post by Reue
That didn't answer the question :wink:Did you sign a tenancy with these people? Or were you all dealt with separately?

Oh we signed it together, we're friends.
Reply 7
Original post by vela1
Oh we signed it together, we're friends.

Then you'll only need one licence between you all.
Original post by Reue
Then you'll only need one licence between you all.

Or none if they're not watching live tv...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQeKy1v-R-I

They can't fine you without a name. They will ask who your are but they have no legal right to your name... just tell them so!

Also they will ask if you live at the address... they have no legal right to this information either.

Like I said you don't have to engage with them at all.

Make sure your flatmates are on board because if they end up signing on of those trick confession letters they will take you to court whether you use live tv or not.

You can google withdrawing implied right of access for tv license but it's a bit of a mixed bag. Better to be vigilant, never confirm anything until you know who they are. Tell them the address doesn't require a tv license and shut the door.

Obviously if you are using live services you need to have a license though or you are technically breaking the law and if you are caught it will be a costly fine or court visit.
(edited 9 years ago)
From what I can gather, you're under no legal obligation to ever interact with them. If they turn up at your door you can shut it in their face. They don't even know your name beforehand and won't if you don't give it to them, they won't get very far without that. I don't have a TV but I've ignored their bull**** threat letters for years and they just send the same ones over and over, saying they've opened a case against you, saying their investigation is now in it's 'final stage' or whatever. They're just full of ****, no reason to fear them, no reason to play along. Search on youtube, youtube is full of people answering their door, sticking a camera in their face and messing with them.
Reply 10
Just to be clear: The wording from OP makes it sound like they do intend on watching live television. Please do not offer tips or encouragement on how to break the law.

OP - If you are watching live television then buy a licence. If you're not then feel free to follow the advice above.
Reply 11
Original post by Reue
Just to be clear: The wording from OP makes it sound like they do intend on watching live television. Please do not offer tips or encouragement on how to break the law.OP - If you are watching live television then buy a licence. If you're not then feel free to follow the advice above.

Shhh no-one needs to know. I want to keep that £150. Cheers guys for helping me break the law :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by vela1
Shhh no-one needs to know. I want to keep that £150. Cheers guys for helping me break the law :wink:

IP traced and handed over to GCHQ. Expect a 4am raid any day now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending