Strange situation findings - help Watch

H.i
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Im currently going over the strange situation by Mary Ainsworth and I'm a bit confused about the findings. In my text book it says that:
Secure attachment = 66%
Insecure avoidant = 22%
insecure resistant = 12%

But online it says that:
Secure attachment = 70%
Insecure avoidant = 15%/20%
Insecure resistant = 15%/10%

Do any of you know what numbers are correct as I'm revising and i don't want to put incorrect figures down

Thanks
mogwai98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are the two findings from different studies? In my books, I have Ainsworth (1970) and then the second lot of findings you have written down - 70%/15%/15%. Nowhere have I come across the first percentages.
H.i
Rep:
?
(Original post by mogwai98)
Are the two findings from different studies? In my books, I have Ainsworth (1970) and then the second lot of findings you have written down - 70%/15%/15%. Nowhere have I come across the first percentages.
The study in my AQA A book by Collins (fourth edition) says Ainsworth and Bell (1970) but the findings are not the same as yours but i'll just ask my teacher
mogwai98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by H.i)
The study in my AQA A book by Collins (fourth edition) says Ainsworth and Bell (1970) but the findings are not the same as yours but i'll just ask my teacher
Hmm... okay.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by H.i)
I don't think quoting specific numbers will matter (ball park figure will be fine).

I briefly looked at the orginal studies:

Ainsworth & Bell (1970) didn't classify children into different catagories (I couldn't find a single mention of "insecure" in the whole pdf document - > see for yourself! http://www.jstor.org.sci-hub.org/stable/1127388).

A level textbook writers probably use figures mostly from other textbooks, which can easily be misquoted!

Ainsworth (1971) looked at attachment in two seperate groups of children. If you look at the total then it goes 66.1%, 19.6%, 14.3% (secure, avoidant, ambivalent) (http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED056742.pdf pg.32)
Megst
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by H.i)
Im currently going over the strange situation by Mary Ainsworth and I'm a bit confused about the findings. In my text book it says that:
Secure attachment = 66%
Insecure avoidant = 22%
insecure resistant = 12%

But online it says that:
Secure attachment = 70%

Do any of you know what numbers are correct as I'm revising and i don't want to put incorrect figures down

Thanks
My textbook gives the second set of figures
H.i
Rep:
?
Okay thank you guys, i'll just go with the second set of figures
Emma-Rowney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In my AQA B textbook we have the first set of figures.
iodo344
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Got 70% for secure and 15% for other two - AQA As Psychology A
H.i
Rep:
?
Thats so weird, I'm doing AQA psychology A but my book has the first set of figures but I think I'll just go with second set of figures as they are much easier to remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
iammichealjackson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by H.i)
Thats so weird, I'm doing AQA psychology A but my book has the first set of figures but I think I'll just go with second set of figures as they are much easier to remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
The bottom set of figures are the same but rounded to the nearest 10%, which is realistically a good level to rememebr (you wouldn't get marked down for saying 65% rather than 66% ... )
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by H.i)
Secure attachment = 66%
Insecure avoidant = 22%
insecure resistant = 12%

But online it says that:
Secure attachment = 70%

Thanks
honestly it doesn't matter if you have slight differences in the figures, i found this when i did A level psychology and as long as you have the roughly correct number then it is okay, i think i went for the rounded up numbers cause it was easiest to remember so 70%,20% and 10%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%