anniemp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Really struggling on knowing how to revise for this exam - the exam paper and the oral as well. Anyone got any tips on how to revise?
RavenclawPolly
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anniemp)
Really struggling on knowing how to revise for this exam - the exam paper and the oral as well. Anyone got any tips on how to revise?
It depends what skills you struggle with most, I'm doing A2 and always struggled with the essay (still do) so I would emphasise checking back through your essay for adjectival endings and cases following prepostions etc. One of the most beneficial things i did was list advantages and disadvantages of most topics, it really helps to structure your essay. Its said over and over again but past papers for the reading section are incredibly useful, it gets you used to the type of questions and the exam board tend to repeat the tricky vocab every year, like synonyms that you might not know for easy words.

For vocab try memrise or quizlet
http://www.memrise.com/course/56669/aqa-as-french/

http://quizlet.com/subject/aqa-french-as-vocab/
anniemp
Rep:
?
(Original post by RavenclawPolly)
It depends what skills you struggle with most, I'm doing A2 and always struggled with the essay (still do) so I would emphasise checking back through your essay for adjectival endings and cases following prepostions etc. One of the most beneficial things i did was list advantages and disadvantages of most topics, it really helps to structure your essay. Its said over and over again but past papers for the reading section are incredibly useful, it gets you used to the type of questions and the exam board tend to repeat the tricky vocab every year, like synonyms that you might not know for easy words.

For vocab try memrise or quizlet
http://www.memrise.com/course/56669/aqa-as-french/

http://quizlet.com/subject/aqa-french-as-vocab/
Thank you so much, this was so helpful. So for the reading section, i'm going to learn topic specific vocab, and then practice passages from past papers. For the essay, i'll write essay plans for all the essays that I think could come up, so advantages and disadvantages, and then practice essays. Any advice to improve and practice for the listening?
romaiseb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone have any tips for the grammar side of things for the essay section? The advantages and disadvantages/content of an essay is fine for me but the grammar is forever an issue - any advice or tips on how to improve grammar in the essay section?
anniemp
Rep:
?
(Original post by romaiseb)
Does anyone have any tips for the grammar side of things for the essay section? The advantages and disadvantages/content of an essay is fine for me but the grammar is forever an issue - any advice or tips on how to improve grammar in the essay section?
Do you have the AQA French AS Grammar Workbook? It's really good for grammar help.
EilidhHide
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya does anyone have a comprehensive list of grammar rules that frequently appear on the cloze section of the AS exam- I am really struggling over here
FS97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EilidhHide)
Hiya does anyone have a comprehensive list of grammar rules that frequently appear on the cloze section of the AS exam- I am really struggling over here
There's quite a pattern with regards to what shows up. Usually they throw in 2/3 where you simply add the infinitives. Infinitives are followed by verbs like pouvoir and vouloir, and infinitives will also follow 'de', 'pour' or 'à'.

Usually they add a present participle, where you are given 'en' and then the gap. Here you just add the 'nous' form of that verb plus the ending 'ant'.

They will test you on a few adjectives or adverbs, so you need to know your gender endings. This usually just involves changing 'eux' to 'euse' or something like that.

Conditionals are easy to spot, if you see a 'si' clause followed by the imperfect, you're gonna need the conditional in the ga. If it's 'si' followed by the future, you'll probably wanna use the present tense.

Finally, past tense is always gonna pop up somewhere. Just look out for the discrete 'ont' or 'est' will will be followed by the past participle of the verb in question, 'etre' verbs must agree also.

This is just what I have from memory since I've done most the cloze tests and its just the most common things that pop up, hope this helps
sophiehiled
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which essay questions does everyone think will come up?
learner248
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What topics are left to come up in the essays? or will they start to repeat now?
Danielle.K
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by learner248)
What topics are left to come up in the essays? or will they start to repeat now?
Looking at the past questions since January 2012 there hasn't yet been a question on sport or music so I have a feeling they may come up this year Also, there has only been 1 essay question on advertising and that was in 2012 so there could be a question on that perhaps. I think it's unlikely that technology or healthy living will appear as they were on the exam last year, but it could still be possible.
learner248
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But If you look at the questions before 2012 it's a different story, so I don't think these predictions are that accurate
sophiehiled
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not revising fashion or cinema for the essay because I hate those topics!!! I hope the questions are simple and not really stupid
blondebiscuit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone know how to say 'I would have been more active" or "I would have done more sport"

Also does anyone know how to say 'A benefit of starting sport at a young age is muscle memory'
anniemp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm thinking an essay on music (pop culture), and essay on sport (une vie saine) and one on changing models of family and parenting (Family and personal relationships).

Every year, the topic they dont do, for example, media, they do the next year. So last year they didn't do popular culture, so it's likely to come up this year. Since they haven't done an essay on music, it could come up. And since media has come up twice in a row, and they've done an essay on TV, advertising and new technology, it may not come up this year. And sport has never come up as an essay. I'm so nervous!!!!
garjt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would have been more active - J'aurais été plus actif/active

I would have done more sport - J'aurais fait plus de sport

A benefit of starting sport at a young age is muscle memory - Un avantage de faire du sport quand on est jeune, c'est la memoire de muscle

Just suggestions, do with them what you will!
blondebiscuit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by garjt)
I would have been more active - J'aurais été plus actif/active

I would have done more sport - J'aurais fait plus de sport

A benefit of starting sport at a young age is muscle memory - Un avantage de faire du sport quand on est jeune, c'est la memoire de muscle

Just suggestions, do with them what you will!
You are an angel, thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.78%
No (645)
65.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed