UnsafePomy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I failed my Computer Science degree in 2011 with 210 credits due to illness and applied to the Open University for credit transfer, they offered 90 credits towards a computing degree, which is obviously ridiculous and insulting. Not to mention the fact that it's unaffordable, over 2 years worth of time and money.

The have offered to transfer all 210 credits to an Open Degree though, I was just wondering if they were worth anything or whether the open university is just trying to push their own brand of degree while using people wanting to transfer credit to other degrees as cash cows?
SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by UnsafePomy)
I failed my Computer Science degree in 2011 with 210 credits due to illness and applied to the Open University for credit transfer, they offered 90 credits towards a computing degree, which is obviously ridiculous and insulting. Not to mention the fact that it's unaffordable, over 2 years worth of time and money.

The have offered to transfer all 210 credits to an Open Degree though, I was just wondering if they were worth anything or whether the open university is just trying to push their own brand of degree while using people wanting to transfer credit to other degrees as cash cows?
I have the same problem, but with Nat Sci only 90 of my 120 credits (which are all in science) count towards the new degree. So in order to complete my degree I HAVE to do the Open one. I have come to the conclusion that as long as you detail the modules which count towards your classification and your grade in those you can show you still have a Comp Sci degree, just like I'll have to with my science one.
laalNick
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's to do with module content. If they don't think you have covered main concepts enough/at all compared to their modules at the same level of a named degree then they will expect you to do them to progress to next level. I.e. gain the required perquisite knowledge for their level 2&3 modules.

Also guess it depends on what marks you were getting possible? If maybe just scraped through and got 40% pass they might not think you are fully comfortable with the topics in the module?

I used credit transfer with a Diploma (50:50 biology & chemistry) but only got the full 240 if did the Chemistry pathway or the open degree. If wanted to do the biology pathway would only get 150 transferred which I think is fair as I had studied more biochemistry, molecular & cell biology and not enough of general science for level 1 and general biology for level 2 so don't think I would be equipped to do level 3 all biology modules without getting some prerequisite knowledge first.

As far as open degrees are concerned, I don't think they have held people back and people have mentioned they have listed them on their CVs as

Open Degree (<subject(S)>)

then you generally list the modules anyway which usually it the part employers are looking at. Plus with an open degree you can tailor it more to your interests, skills and career choices.

Good luck with whatever you choose both of you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (83)
26.27%
England (108)
34.18%
Belgium (27)
8.54%
Germany (37)
11.71%
Spain (5)
1.58%