The Student Room Group

Dislike the Universities I have applied for, help?

Basically I'm unsure of what to do, I would like to study and have applied to study Biological sciences at Lincoln, Warwick, Plymouth, Nottingham Trent and Reading University.

However I greatly dislike my choices (not offending these universities). Due to my GCSE maths and only doing one science at A level I was limited to the Universities I could apply to however got accepted into these.

I’m most likely going to place Warwick as my firm and I guess either Lincoln or Reading as my insurance. But after visiting Warwick I don’t want to go, I found it was just in the middle of nowhere and the closest city is Birmingham, which I really don’t like (again no offense). But there are problems with the others as well.

So I’m kind of left disliking my University choices and not exactly sure what to do?

As stated these were the best I could come up with,with my grades and A levels, so do I take a year out and do another science?

(I considered maybe trying to get into Leeds through clearing but I really doubt that is going to happen)
Reply 1
Original post by Kat135
Basically I'm unsure of what to do, I would like to study and have applied to study Biological sciences at Lincoln, Warwick, Plymouth, Nottingham Trent and Reading University.

However I greatly dislike my choices (not offending these universities). Due to my GCSE maths and only doing one science at A level I was limited to the Universities I could apply to however got accepted into these.

I’m most likely going to place Warwick as my firm and I guess either Lincoln or Reading as my insurance. But after visiting Warwick I don’t want to go, I found it was just in the middle of nowhere and the closest city is Birmingham, which I really don’t like (again no offense). But there are problems with the others as well.

So I’m kind of left disliking my University choices and not exactly sure what to do?

As stated these were the best I could come up with,with my grades and A levels, so do I take a year out and do another science?

(I considered maybe trying to get into Leeds through clearing but I really doubt that is going to happen)

Sorry I wont be of much help since i'm an international student. Just want to know whats wrong with nottingham trent? I applied in nottingham.
You can decline all of your offers and add an extra (I think? Not sure how that works, might want to look up on it!) or come results day, you can go through clearing and see if you can get into a different university.
Original post by Kat135

Warwick is more than 20 miles from Birmingham; it's far closer (less than 5 miles) to Coventry, where many students live in 2nd and 3rd year.
Reply 4
Original post by Kat135

Sorry I wont be of much help since i'm an international student. Just want to know whats wrong with nottingham trent? I applied in nottingham.
Reply 5
Original post by omar4

Oh don't get me wrong it's a good University, and great with work experience/ placement years, but I'm kinda getting pushed into going to one a bit higher in the league tables :/

It's a bit silly really,plus it's the one with the lowest grades so can't really be my firm.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Warwick is more than 20 miles from Birmingham; it's far closer (less than 5 miles) to Coventry, where many students live in 2nd and 3rd year.

What is Coventry like? (Heard stuff but never visited)

Because from what I've seen and heard I'm just not too keen on the whole "culture" surrounding that area..

Plus I kind of want a University which is I guess in a bit more of city area.

Thanks for the replies :smile:
You could consider Exeter if they're in extra and if you have the grades? Pretty sure they only ask for one science :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kat135
Oh don't get me wrong it's a good University, and great with work experience/ placement years, but I'm kinda getting pushed into going to one a bit higher in the league tables :/

It's a bit silly really,plus it's the one with the lowest grades so can't really be my firm.

Yes it can. If it's your favourite, then firm it.

There's also Adjustment to consider.
Reply 9
Original post by Changing Skies
You could consider Exeter if they're in extra and if you have the grades? Pretty sure they only ask for one science :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need a GCSE maths grade B :frown:

I only have a C, didnt quite know how important GCSE maths was until I started applying to Uni's....yay
Original post by Kat135
I need a GCSE maths grade B :frown:

I only have a C, didnt quite know how important GCSE maths was until I started applying to Uni's....yay

Oh damn :frown: yeah it's really frustrating, a lot of people aren't made aware :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes it can. If it's your favourite, then firm it.

There's also Adjustment to consider.

That is true Nottingham Trent want 240 points (CCC) and I'm aiming for AAB this year or at Least all Bs so i could go through adjustment, but what are the chances of getting place somewhere?

Plus I feel like I shouldn't turn down Warwick because of how prestigious and high up people think it is.
Reply 12
Oh damn :frown: yeah it's really frustrating, a lot of people aren't made aware :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha tell me about it, It didn't help that I really had no idea I wanted to do a science at the time, so when picking A levels and doing maths it didn't occur to me what I needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

u aware?
Original post by Kat135
That is true Nottingham Trent want 240 points (CCC) and I'm aiming for AAB this year or at Least all Bs so i could go through adjustment, but what are the chances of getting place somewhere?

Plus I feel like I shouldn't turn down Warwick because of how prestigious and high up people think it is.

Adjustment is certainly a decent option. One disadvantage might be getting accommodation.

Well, Warwick is generally regarded as being generally 'better' though I have no idea what it is like for Biological Sciences.
Original post by ChickenMadness
u aware?

Hell yeah I am

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes you :cool:

You need to think whether you will be happy at any of your universities if you ended up studying there. you will have to spend 3 years there so it's best to be happy. I think you should browse some more universities to get an idea of what you would like. Then you can see whether anywhere accepts the grades and science you have. If not then maybe finding somewhere you would be happy and then studying another science next year might be the best option. but you have to do what is going to make you feel the most happy. Hope this helped. :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by KrazyK18
You need to think whether you will be happy at any of your universities if you ended up studying there. you will have to spend 3 years there so it's best to be happy. I think you should browse some more universities to get an idea of what you would like. Then you can see whether anywhere accepts the grades and science you have. If not then maybe finding somewhere you would be happy and then studying another science next year might be the best option. but you have to do what is going to make you feel the most happy. Hope this helped. :wink:

Yea,I'll have a look thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Kat135
Yea,I'll have a look thanks for the help :smile:

welcome hope it all goes well for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending