The Student Room Group

AS Level Satistics or Mechanics

Hi :smile: I am doing all sciences and Math and I have to choose between Mechanics and Statistics tomorrow. I am honestly confused beyond confusion. I am very much interested in doing a science-course at University. HELP ME PLEASE!!!
If you love, or at least like, physics than mechanics is for you. I am going for both the papers. First I will appear for Statistics and personally I hate it. Questions require lots of focus and understanding. The most confusing questions are from permutation and combination. I am sure mechanics will be easier for you if you are into physics.
Mechanics is basically physics, so if you're already studying physics it shouldn't be too difficult.
Statistics has less content (or at least does for MEI), but I personally hate it with a burning passion. Stats also complemented part of my A2 Biology (OCR) course.

I'd personally go for Mechanics, because it's more interesting, but it depends on whether you prefer physics or biology.
I did physics A level and found S1 super easy and hated M1…. then again M2 made everything 'click' so I guess it was probably the way my school taught it and the teachers….

I'd recommend you flick through the course outlines online and have a quick look at the content to see if you prefer one over the other. :smile:

Mechanics is generally very 'physics-y' so to speak. Stats is more graph-y and data collection (surprise, surprise). I guess it's where your strengths lies and also what you're thinking uni-wise… If you are taking physics at uni, then take mechanics for sure as they both strengthen each other :smile:
As above, do mechanics if you enjoy physics (you're taking it at A-level so I assume you do). The mechanics in physics crosses over a lot with M1 and M2.
Do statistics if you want a change from physics.
Lots of people don't like S1, but it's worth giving it a go learning it. S2 is much better.

Edit: I didn't find very much cross-over between statistics and A2 biology. Doing S1 and S2 will only help you on 1% of A2 biology, so isn't really a reason to choose statistics over mechanics.
(edited 8 years ago)
I do both in Edexcel and would call stats far more boring but I personally struggled with mechanics much more. However, mechanics has now clicked after lots of practise and I would almost call it my favourite (behind further). There is definitely a lot of physics crossover according to my classmates!
Reply 6
stats is boring as hell but mechanics is hard as hell, it does help if you do physics along side it. so its really up to you. choose between an easier time- monotonous or harder time but challengingly exciting.

Quick Reply