The Student Room Group

Social life Fun and Friends

I want to do economics at any college at Cambridge (if I'm lucky) but where can I have fun, play some rugby, talk to a lot of different people, have fun between the sheets and play my guitar? I want to just enjoy myself, cos studying is the inevitable and quality of education being amazing is a given
Which college should i apply for?
Original post by kumon
I didn't say all, I said most, and when most of the people around you, esp the rugby team are, then you will feel it. Tell me why you want to go cambridge, it's just prestige, but many people say it's the worst thing that happened to them and prefer UCL, KCL, LSE more inclusive universities with a great education and mix of people.

Those are all local, i want to move out. CAN SOMEONE WHO KNOWS SOMETHING REPLY. Which college should I apply for
Reply 3
It's difficult to say really - from what I gather the various colleges are not as different as you might suppose from reading about them on these forums, and you would be able to do all of the things that you mentioned at all of them. Really the best thing to do is for you to (i) research the colleges online (see http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges or http://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges/ or http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Cambridge_College_Pros_and_Cons ), and (ii) to go visit the colleges / university on open days.

Having said all that, I would suggest you start by looking at Trinity Hall (has a reputation of being laid back and "fun") and Downing College (has a reputation for being good at sports). If demographic representation is a concern for you, then also see King's College.

As for the supposed 'upper class *****' in the rugby teams, it is probably true that there will be disproportionately many privately educated students in the rugby squads, and some of them will be *****, but that's true for any group of people. In my experience, your class and background are almost never important at university except in some fringe circles (e.g. Bullingdon).

And just as a last word of warning, a lot of what I've said are my own 'impressions' of places, and others will inevitably disagree. The best thing really is for you to go see for yourself. Many of my friends thought they knew which college they wanted to go to, but changed their minds after visiting Cambridge.
Original post by Big Socks
Those are all local, i want to move out. CAN SOMEONE WHO KNOWS SOMETHING REPLY. Which college should I apply for

Ignore him. I'm at Cambridge and so far almost everyone is lovely, regardless of background. All the colleges will have a rugby team I imagine, and many other sports besides. There are music practice rooms in most colleges, if not all, you will meet interesting people regardless of college, and there is loads to do through societies.

The nightlife isn't the best - there are four clubs, and coming from a big city, it's going to feel atrocious but you still have fun!

There are a lot of social activities organised by and between colleges and societies, so you'll always find something or other on.
Original post by Paralove
Ignore him. I'm at Cambridge and so far almost everyone is lovely, regardless of background. All the colleges will have a rugby team I imagine, and many other sports besides. There are music practice rooms in most colleges, if not all, you will meet interesting people regardless of college, and there is loads to do through societies.

The nightlife isn't the best - there are four clubs, and coming from a big city, it's going to feel atrocious but you still have fun!

There are a lot of social activities organised by and between colleges and societies, so you'll always find something or other on.

Wow thanks for the help but which college is closest to the night life and fun? I really want to enjoy first year, because first year isn't weighted much
Original post by lyranew
It's difficult to say really - from what I gather the various colleges are not as different as you might suppose from reading about them on these forums, and you would be able to do all of the things that you mentioned at all of them. Really the best thing to do is for you to (i) research the colleges online (see http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges or http://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges/ or http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Cambridge_College_Pros_and_Cons ), and (ii) to go visit the colleges / university on open days.

Having said all that, I would suggest you start by looking at Trinity Hall (has a reputation of being laid back and "fun") and Downing College (has a reputation for being good at sports). If demographic representation is a concern for you, then also see King's College.

As for the supposed 'upper class *****' in the rugby teams, it is probably true that there will be disproportionately many privately educated students in the rugby squads, and some of them will be *****, but that's true for any group of people. In my experience, your class and background are almost never important at university except in some fringe circles (e.g. Bullingdon).

And just as a last word of warning, a lot of what I've said are my own 'impressions' of places, and others will inevitably disagree. The best thing really is for you to go see for yourself. Many of my friends thought they knew which college they wanted to go to, but changed their minds after visiting Cambridge.

Sure I'll look up those links later on today :smile::smile:
Wow thanks for the help but which college is closest to the night life and fun? I really want to enjoy first year, because first year isn't weighted much

Anything right in the centre of town. But bear in mind that their accommodation is not necessarily there too. Tbh, any college that isn't right on the edge is good - I'm at Newnham and it's only about a maximum of a 15 minute walk to the majority of places.

That's mainly for clubs though, other events happen all over the place.
Reply 8

Christ's - closest to clubs/pubs.

http://www3.christs.cam.ac.uk/cms_misc/media/Admissions/Christs_Alt_prospective.March2010.pdf
You will have a lot of work but everyone has enough time to do other stuff as well, don't worry about it. Yes there are a lot of middle-upper class people but the majority of them are nice, it's just the same as anywhere else, you're going to get nice people and not so nice people but I can say there's a brilliant mix of people. Coming from a small, quite poor northern town I really like the mixture of people from different places around the world.
Any central college is near enough to pubs/clubs that you'll always be close to anything going on, although Johns is obviously the best :wink: .
Original post by kumon
Wow low life stalker, you have a lot of issues, sitting their in your basement, go outside. I was basing my assessment on a thread a parent on TSR made about Cambridge.
You also haven't got your A level grades just yet kiddo, so take a step down, because I guarantee you will fail as well. Remember those words echoing in the exam hall "hahaha".

Sure some people have a poor experience at uni, regardless of where. However, this is not the majority and you shouldn't make it out to be as such. Universities at the top have difficult times attracting students of a wide range of backgrounds because of the stereotypes perpetuated by people like you. Stereotypes that simply aren't true. Everyone I have met at Cambridge are very lovely. Unless you are a student, don't make assumptions from a single anecdote you saw on the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending