Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I have applied to do BTEC Health and social care level 3 extended diploma in September. I was going to apply to do A levels, but my Uncle advised me to do BTEC as it is less pressure.
    I was just wondering, what can you do at University with this BTEC?
    I'm might want to do Child Psychology or teaching, but what are the degrees you can do with this BTEC??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akane123)
    Hey
    I have applied to do BTEC Health and social care level 3 extended diploma in September. I was going to apply to do A levels, but my Uncle advised me to do BTEC as it is less pressure.
    I'm might want to do Child Psychology or teaching, but what are the degrees you can do with this BTEC??
    xx
    Hi!

I am due to finish this course end of May/beginning of June, so I will give you an idea of what you can do with it based on what the people on my course who are going to uni are doing as a degree:

Adult nursing
    Mental health nursing
    Children's nursing
    Childhood studies
    Psychology
    Sociology
    Working with Children, Young People and Families
    Early Years Teaching / Primary School Teaching

Previous students from last year went on to do some of the above and the following:
    Health studies
    Occupational therapy
    Criminology
    Radiography

And there is also Social Work, which I will be studying next year (hopefully if I get the grades!).

There's plenty to choose from, and you get to do placements whilst on the course so that can help you to see which area you're more interested in.

Just a note for you; a BTEC is not all fun and games. They have changed the marking scheme so you now only get one attempt to pass an assignment and I think they are implementing exams as of next year. I think this is due to the ongoing A Level vs BTEC debate.

Good luck! Let me know if you go on to do the course and which degree you decide to do at uni if you figure you would like to go

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am 15 and I really want to do a Health and Social Care BTEC, I just want to know if I will be able to do Level 2. According to the EdExcel website, it is possible for pre-16 students to do this, but when I contacted the recommended colleges that conduct the exams, I was told by them that they only accommodate students that are 16 or above.
    I just want to know if there is any other way that I can do this exam.
    I will appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groudon)
    Hi

I am 15 and I really want to do a Health and Social Care BTEC, I just want to know if I will be able to do Level 2. According to the EdExcel website, it is possible for pre-16 students to do this, but when I contacted the recommended colleges that conduct the exams, I was told by them that they only accommodate students that are 16 or above.

Thanks
    Hi,

Most schools offer Health and Social Care as a GCSE, this is equivalent to the level 2.

Otherwise I'm afraid you will have to wait until you finish your GCSE's and have to make post-16 decisions to enrol at the college. If you get 5 GCSE's grade A* - C including Maths and English, you can go straight on to Level 3 instead of having to sit Level 2 first.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks EmEm the fairy, there is so much you can do with health and social care that's great but only one attempt to pass, looks like if I go on to do the course I have to work really hard,
    I have applied to do the course so just waiting for an interview
    Did you enjoy the course? And good luck! let me know what grades you get
    Groudon, yes it's as EmEm said, if you get 5 A*s-C (including maths and english) then you will be able to go on to do BTEC health and social care level 3 in college. However, if you dont get the 5 A*s- Cs, you will have to do Health and social care level 2 first and then once that is completed, you will get to do level 3

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am glad you have enrolled at your local college to study level 3 BTEC health and social care. I can honestly tell you it's an amazing course,with many different units you study. I am also nearing the end of my second year of this course and hoping to go onto work within the care sector for a year before applying for university.

The units I have studied at my college are:
    Effective communication
    Health, safety and security
    Equality, diversity and rights
    Development through the life stages (personally one of my favourites)
    Anatomy and physiology (This is quite difficult, but honestly is so interesting to learn)
    Professional development
    Sociological perspectives
    Psychological perspectives
    Safeguarding adults
    Physiological disorders (This is another difficult unit, so interesting though)
    Health education (This is where you will mainly plan a health education campaign. Within my group we chose to do a campaign about alcohol)
    Nutrition
    Research methods (This is also a really difficult but interesting unit as you can do your own research project)
    Complementary therapies
    Additional needs
    Dementia care
    Medication
    Continual professional development

Please note though your college may not do the exact same units for this course as some of these are optional

Also within this course you get at least 8 weeks worth of work experience,which is really valuable when you are applying to university and within many of your units as you have to apply theory to practise and practise to theory. Within my placements I have been able to work within a variety of childcare settings (as I want to become a children's nurse in the future) but I have also worked with those that have dementia. In your final year of your BTEC you have the opportunity to have some kind of work experience relating to what you want to do in the future, so for my final work experience I was able to go and shadow nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and support workers, which has now made me even more determined to become a children's nurse

In regards to the entry requirements, yes they advise you to get 5 a*-c's within your GCSE's (including maths and English) but if you don't manage to get maths or English at grade c or above this wont be a problem as long as you make sure you agree to doing these as part of your course (that's what I am doing.)

Good luck to you and I hope you get accepted for this course as I honestly think its brilliant and gives you a various in what you learn.

If you have any more questions please feel free to private message me! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groudon)
    Hi

Thanks
    Are you in year 11?

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    xx
    u can do anything, i got the top marks available for this course (which is useless) but if u get distinctions * across the board u should be ok, I'm doing a sports course now at uni

ReputationRep:
    @Futurechildnurse thanks for the great reply! The course sounds really interesting
    @studentLynch good luck with your course!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks EmEm the fairy, there is so much you can do with health and social care that's great :) but only one attempt to pass, looks like if I go on to do the course I have to work really hard,
    I have applied to do the course so just waiting for an interview
    Did you enjoy the course? And good luck! let me know what grades you get :)
    Groudon, yes it's as EmEm said, if you get 5 A*s-C (including maths and english) then you will be able to go on to do BTEC health and social care level 3 in college. However, if you dont get the 5 A*s- Cs, you will have to do Health and social care level 2 first and then once that is completed, you will get to do level 3

No problem! Yeah, one attempt at a pass can seem daunting but really it will just prepare you for university. Ah, good luck for your interview! Its not anything major, if its anything like mine was it is just a chat to see where you are now and why you want to do the course.

I'm really enjoying the course, I will be sad to finish it :( I'm targeted D*D*D*, fingers crossed I meet my target grades! Let me know how you get on! :)

ReputationRep:
    @Ememthefairy thats true
    Well they havent sent me an interview yet but they said they will..
    Wow that's really good, hope u get your target grades, just work hard I'm sure u will get them!

ReputationRep:
    Defintely not less pressure haha. I've done AS levels and then this and this is definitely more work and more stress, sometimes I wish I'd stayed at sixth form. I'm always working through my holidays and weekends but it pays off as I've had a few distinctions so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futurechildnurse)
    Hello,

I am glad you have enrolled at your local college to study level 3 BTEC health and social care. I can honestly tell you it's an amazing course,with many different units you study. I am also nearing the end of my second year of this course and hoping to go onto work within the care sector for a year before applying for university.

The units I have studied at my college are:
    Effective communication
    Health, safety and security
    Equality, diversity and rights
    Development through the life stages (personally one of my favourites)
    Anatomy and physiology (This is quite difficult, but honestly is so interesting to learn)
    Professional development
    Sociological perspectives
    Psychological perspectives
    Safeguarding adults
    Physiological disorders (This is another difficult unit, so interesting though)
    Health education (This is where you will mainly plan a health education campaign. Within my group we chose to do a campaign about alcohol)
    Nutrition
    Research methods (This is also a really difficult but interesting unit as you can do your own research project)
    Complementary therapies
    Additional needs
    Dementia care
    Medication
    Continual professional development

Please note though your college may not do the exact same units for this course as some of these are optional

Also within this course you get at least 8 weeks worth of work experience,which is really valuable when you are applying to university and within many of your units as you have to apply theory to practise and practise to theory. Within my placements I have been able to work within a variety of childcare settings (as I want to become a children's nurse in the future) but I have also worked with those that have dementia. In your final year of your BTEC you have the opportunity to have some kind of work experience relating to what you want to do in the future, so for my final work experience I was able to go and shadow nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and support workers, which has now made me even more determined to become a children's nurse

In regards to the entry requirements, yes they advise you to get 5 a*-c's within your GCSE's (including maths and English) but if you don't manage to get maths or English at grade c or above this wont be a problem as long as you make sure you agree to doing these as part of your course (that's what I am doing.)

Good luck to you and I hope you get accepted for this course as I honestly think its brilliant and gives you a various in what you learn.

If you have any more questions please feel free to private message me! xx
    Hello, is it possible if you please give me your email as I am struggling with my units and would really like your help seeing as you are nearly finished your second year. Please help me

ReputationRep:
    @TANYA1234 Please private message me on here and tell what units you are stuck on and I will try and help you as much as possible. xx

ReputationRep:
    @TANYA1234 Please private message me on here and tell what units you are stuck on and I will try and help you as much as possible. xx
    Okay , thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    hello!! I really need help with my assignment if anyone finished level 3 health and social care please please pop up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarawx5)
    hello!! I really need help with my assignment if anyone finished level 3 health and social care please please pop up
    Hello,

What assignment are you stuck on?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

What assignment are you stuck on?
    im stuck on psychology, unit 8- principal psychological perspectives
    my assignment brief says : explain the principal psychological perspectives and assess different psychological approaches to study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarawx5)
    im stuck on psychology, unit 8- principal psychological perspectives
    my assignment brief says : explain the principal psychological perspectives and assess different psychological approaches to study
    Is that criteria p1 and m1? Have you got the book? As id advise you to read what is written in the book and then research using the internet for more information (hope that makes sense)

Good luck with it! x

ReputationRep:
    BTECs being less pressure!! I beg to differ haha, but unis love BTECs as they are vocational courses so they know you are already used to doing independent work and are good at dealing with the work load. Also in most BTEC courses you do work placement which also gives you the edge over straight A level course people.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.