?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Af
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
User1686961
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kazyami24)
So i recently did my PSA for chemistry and managed to get 34/40 - 45 UMS. I was expecting higher but it'll have to do. But this leaves me with more pressure to ace the exams. I would need to get really high UMS in f324 and f325 - 85 and 145 for an A* overall. I'm afraid that I won't be able to achieve this

I've been getting decent As so far in mocks and past papers but nothing spectacular (as in no A*s). I still have time to improve but can anyone tell me how i can jump up a grade. My current revision techniques are decent for an A but I seem to be struggling to reach that 90-100% boundary

I know i may sound annoying but i really want to do well!!!
Hi,

Everyone has different revision techniques so not all of them work.

Personally i revise by learning the content ie making notes from the textbook,external sources(internet/other books) then practice questions based on the topic or whatever i learnt.

http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/

^^

The website above is really good at topic based questions, which i find good practice. I'm saving the official OCR chemistry papers closer to the exam but currently i'm just re-learning and doing question packs from the website ie consolidating.

i got 60/60 in my practicals for AS/A2 and did F324 a year early and got an A i was hoping for at least 80 ums to reach that A* boundary but no problem i'm going to retake it with f325.

Keep practicing until you get to the point where you only loose 2-3 marks in a whole paper. Worked for me in AS pretty much for full ums, i know A2 is alot harder but it still works for me.

To get an A* you need to adapt and be able to apply your knowledge ie they wont ask you a textbook question it will be something you haven't seen. I skimmed through the previous past papers and saw there are always those odd questions that catch people off guard those are the so called A* questions. Keep practising and im sure you'll reach that A*.

I'm in the same position as you
kazyami24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThatGuyRik)
Hi,

Everyone has different revision techniques so not all of them work.

Personally i revise by learning the content ie making notes from the textbook,external sources(internet/other books) then practice questions based on the topic or whatever i learnt.

http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/

^^

The website above is really good at topic based questions, which i find good practice. I'm saving the official OCR chemistry papers closer to the exam but currently i'm just re-learning and doing question packs from the website ie consolidating.

i got 60/60 in my practicals for AS/A2 and did F324 a year early and got an A i was hoping for at least 80 ums to reach that A* boundary but no problem i'm going to retake it with f325.

Keep practicing until you get to the point where you only loose 2-3 marks in a whole paper. Worked for me in AS pretty much for full ums, i know A2 is alot harder but it still works for me.

To get an A* you need to adapt and be able to apply your knowledge ie they wont ask you a textbook question it will be something you haven't seen. I skimmed through the previous past papers and saw there are always those odd questions that catch people off guard those are the so called A* questions. Keep practising and im sure you'll reach that A*.

I'm in the same position as you
Thanks for helping out!! Guess i should use more websites and stuff xD

Congrats on ur grades i wish i can gt those grades one day haha
User1686961
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for helping out!! Guess i should use more websites and stuff xD

Congrats on ur grades i wish i can gt those grades one day haha

No problem if you need anything else let me know.

Im retaking f324(for an A*) and doing f325 this year and yourself? How you feeling in general?
kazyami24
Rep:
?
Yh I'm more confident about f325 haha just need to go through fuel cells a bit more - probably the hardest topic in my opinion! I'm not as stressed as i was this time last year. I guess.it's because i've been revising the material each day since February.

Have you done the old spec papers? I heard that they're easier but i'll start doing them today.
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yh I'm more confident about f325 haha just need to go through fuel cells a bit more - probably the hardest topic in my opinion! I'm not as stressed as i was this time last year. I guess.it's because i've been revising the material each day since February.

Have you done the old spec papers? I heard that they're easier but i'll start doing them today.
yeah i'd deffo recommend the "a level chemistry" website
here is a link to the F325 thread too
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2851523
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're stuck in the A grade boundary what that tells me is that you're very good at exam papers. But perhaps you are either prone to mistakes in 1 mark questions or you don't have the background knowledge cemented enough to access the harder questions in the paper. If you really get down to the nitty gritty of your specification and if you understand the chemistry rather than accepting it passively, that would help incredibly. You would be able to use your understanding to tackle a question rather than trying to write down an answer. This may not be the case, but it certainly is in the majority from what I have seen at my college.
kazyami24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protoxylic)
If you're stuck in the A grade boundary what that tells me is that you're very good at exam papers. But perhaps you are either prone to mistakes in 1 mark questions or you don't have the background knowledge cemented enough to access the harder questions in the paper. If you really get down to the nitty gritty of your specification and if you understand the chemistry rather than accepting it passively, that would help incredibly. You would be able to use your understanding to tackle a question rather than trying to write down an answer. This may not bue the case, but it certainly is in the majority from what I have seen at my college.
that's it you've summarised my problem :rolleyes:

I've exhausted 2-3 books in some websites for understanding the topics. But i tend to forget these little bits and bobs when answering Qs. And yes i hate those stupid 1 markers, some of them are so random.
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
that's it you've summarised my problem :rolleyes:

I've exhausted 2-3 books in some websites for understanding the topics. But i tend to forget these little bits and bobs when answering Qs. And yes i hate those stupid 1 markers, some of them are so random.
Hah, I'm on AQA and trust me, AQA is notorious for this :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (67)
14.69%
I'm not sure (16)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.77%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (211)
46.27%

Watched Threads