The Student Room Group

AQA Geog GCSE 8 marks

Hey guys,
My teachers never giving me 8 marks in my answer and when I ask why he doesn't tell me, so would you guys please mark this answer I wrote

Using a case study, show how humans use fold mountains (8). I'll do it in 8 mins btw :smile:

The Alps is a Fold Mountain range. It is located in Central Europe. They were formed about 30 million years ago by the collision between the African and European plates. They also inhabit approximately 12 million people, therefore, this shows us that a lot of people have access to its resources.

Many people use the Alps as a source of mining. Many different ores can be found in the Alps, such as: salt, iron, gold, silver and copper. However, due to the fact that there are cheaper foreign sources, the mining has declined dramatically, and therefore is likely to make people in the Alps unemployed.

The steep upland areas are used to farm goats, which provide the locals with milk, cheese and meat. These products that the goat supplies to the locals can be exported to other countries in exchange for money, which makes the locals richer - thus the Alps could also be used for exchanging.

One of the main uses of the Alps is tourism. 100 million tourists visit the Alps each year, thus making tourism a big part of the economy. 70% of the tourists visit in the winter to partake in activities like skiing, ice climbing and snowboarding, whereas the rest of the tourists come in the Summer to enjoy the view of the mountains, walk, bike ride or even participate in paragliding.

The Alps provide locals with water, and this water can be converted into energy as it gives us hydro-electric power. The narrow valleys are dammed to generate this power, e.g. in the Berne area in Switzerland. Switzerland gets 60% of its electricity from HEP stations in the Alps.

SORRY! I used to text book for some of my points! Please give me a mark and constructive criticism! Thanks :smile:
:smile:
(im an A2 student so dont take me as a teacher please. i do want to study Geology next year though if that might give you confidence in my abilities :wink:) personally i would say the knowledge is GOOD however little elaboration in key points, i know this is GCSE and my heads now wrapped around huge 2 page essays in exams. for an 8 marker i would say you use 'thus' too much, vary your vocabulary more. as i was saying, elaborate each point, for example, Farming on the Alps is actually a relatively common thing and helps not only the locals and the family producing the crops for food and income, talk about how a mass farm in the Alps (as its mostly inhabited) helping the economy. that, people ski, VERY popular in the Swiss Alps and France also hotels for placing tourists in them, then CO2 emission for these resources and how it might effect the climate in the region? I dont have the mark scheme but these are the points i would make. I AM NOT A TEACHER but personally i would mark it... hmm... 6-7? if it was A-level 2/8 but im being kind because GCSE is just really about knowledge. Make sure you spelling is on point and you should be good. Open your mind with these questions, theres a mass amount to talk about. Just think, rather than what the textbook says, say MORE for that A/A*. THINK outside the box. If you can, name a mountain. Mt Everest? Mount. blanc. :smile: Hope it helps. (p.s im bored so thats y i wrote so much :wink:)
m
Reply 2
Original post by Velocity_
(im an A2 student so dont take me as a teacher please. i do want to study Geology next year though if that might give you confidence in my abilities :wink:) personally i would say the knowledge is GOOD however little elaboration in key points, i know this is GCSE and my heads now wrapped around huge 2 page essays in exams. for an 8 marker i would say you use 'thus' too much, vary your vocabulary more. as i was saying, elaborate each point, for example, Farming on the Alps is actually a relatively common thing and helps not only the locals and the family producing the crops for food and income, talk about how a mass farm in the Alps (as its mostly inhabited) helping the economy. that, people ski, VERY popular in the Swiss Alps and France also hotels for placing tourists in them, then CO2 emission for these resources and how it might effect the climate in the region? I dont have the mark scheme but these are the points i would make. I AM NOT A TEACHER but personally i would mark it... hmm... 6-7? if it was A-level 2/8 but im being kind because GCSE is just really about knowledge. Make sure you spelling is on point and you should be good. Open your mind with these questions, theres a mass amount to talk about. Just think, rather than what the textbook says, say MORE for that A/A*. THINK outside the box. If you can, name a mountain. Mt Everest? Mount. blanc. :smile: Hope it helps. (p.s im bored so thats y i wrote so much :wink:)
m

thanks so much bro, i get what your saying, thanks! i just really want an a* but im not too sure how to make this possible
Reply 3
Original post by dilanpatel23
Hey guys,
My teachers never giving me 8 marks in my answer and when I ask why he doesn't tell me, so would you guys please mark this answer I wrote

Using a case study, show how humans use fold mountains (8). I'll do it in 8 mins btw :smile:

The Alps is a Fold Mountain range. It is located in Central Europe. They were formed about 30 million years ago by the collision between the African and European plates. They also inhabit approximately 12 million people, therefore, this shows us that a lot of people have access to its resources.

Many people use the Alps as a source of mining. Many different ores can be found in the Alps, such as: salt, iron, gold, silver and copper. However, due to the fact that there are cheaper foreign sources, the mining has declined dramatically, and therefore is likely to make people in the Alps unemployed.

The steep upland areas are used to farm goats, which provide the locals with milk, cheese and meat. These products that the goat supplies to the locals can be exported to other countries in exchange for money, which makes the locals richer - thus the Alps could also be used for exchanging.

One of the main uses of the Alps is tourism. 100 million tourists visit the Alps each year, thus making tourism a big part of the economy. 70% of the tourists visit in the winter to partake in activities like skiing, ice climbing and snowboarding, whereas the rest of the tourists come in the Summer to enjoy the view of the mountains, walk, bike ride or even participate in paragliding.

The Alps provide locals with water, and this water can be converted into energy as it gives us hydro-electric power. The narrow valleys are dammed to generate this power, e.g. in the Berne area in Switzerland. Switzerland gets 60% of its electricity from HEP stations in the Alps.

SORRY! I used to text book for some of my points! Please give me a mark and constructive criticism! Thanks :smile:
:smile:

Hi,

I would say that your answer is quite clear and definitely falls into the Level 2 marking criteria so it is probably a 6 mark answer. Firstly I wouldn't spend a paragraph introducing your case study as it is not needed. I'm sure a sentence would do. More time could be spent focusing on developing your other uses. The specification asks specifically to talk about farming, mining, HEP and tourism. You have spoken about HEP and Tourism quite well. With farming, you could develop your answer a bit more by mentioning the system used rather than just explain the benefits it gives. For example: " Dairy farming is used in a system called transhumance where in the summer, cattle are taken up to the high alp to graze, which allows hay and other fodder crops to be grown on the valley floor. This allows crops to be grown in the most warm and fertile soils." Also for mining, The Alps isn't very mineral rich like The Andes and so you could mention what other natural resources are used instead e.g. wood as a resource for building materials and timber being made into pulp and paper.

Good Luck in your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending