The Student Room Group

PARTNERS Newcastle (BCC) or Warwick (ABB)

Both Newcastle and Warwick University are well regarded Russell Group Universities but I don't think it can be denied that academically and reputation wise, Warwick is a better university.
Now I would rather go to Warwick.

I have an offer from both universities HOWEVER it is not as simple as just choosing Warwick.

My offer if I put Newcastle as a firm would be BCC. which is a LOT less risk than if I put Warwick down (ABB)

my as results were BBC and although I am doing 3 resits and my teachers believe I can do it, the risk of me not achieving ABB is very high.
I know I would be happy if I went to Newcastle but I also know I would be happier if I went to Warwick.

BUT if I didn't get the grades for Warwick I would have to go to an insurance of Huddersfield etc? :/

What do I do? Warwick or the safe option Newcastle?

PLEASE HELP (also sorry for the long paragraph but I figure I should thoroughly explain the context of my problem)
Original post by Hanna_S
Both Newcastle and Warwick University are well regarded Russell Group Universities but I don't think it can be denied that academically and reputation wise, Warwick is a better university.
Now I would rather go to Warwick.

I have an offer from both universities HOWEVER it is not as simple as just choosing Warwick.

My offer if I put Newcastle as a firm would be BCC. which is a LOT less risk than if I put Warwick down (ABB)

my as results were BBC and although I am doing 3 resits and my teachers believe I can do it, the risk of me not achieving ABB is very high.
I know I would be happy if I went to Newcastle but I also know I would be happier if I went to Warwick.

BUT if I didn't get the grades for Warwick I would have to go to an insurance of Huddersfield etc? :/

What do I do? Warwick or the safe option Newcastle?

PLEASE HELP (also sorry for the long paragraph but I figure I should thoroughly explain the context of my problem)

I was in a similar position but it was between Manchester and Liverpool. I ended up firming Mcr so my entry requirements were lowered. It all depends on how much self confidence you have on achieving the required grades for Warwick. If you think you can do it, by all means firm Warwick! Remember, your teachers may think you can do it, but do you? At the end of the day, you'll be sitting the exams, not them. I live in Coventry and I can tell you that Warwick is a very very safe Campus, and Coventry is a pretty safe place! Newcastle on the other hand isn't as safe.
It's a pretty tough decision but you'll have to base it on your personal preference. Both Unis are very good.
Hi :smile: first of all congratulations on your offers! you must be really happy. I think it's important that you strike a balance between what is achievable and what will make you happy! You need to decide how likely it is that you'll make ABB, if it's as unlikely as you imply it's probably better to go with Newcastle. Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by Incubator
I was in a similar position but it was between Manchester and Liverpool. I ended up firming Mcr so my entry requirements were lowered. It all depends on how much self confidence you have on achieving the required grades for Warwick. If you think you can do it, by all means firm Warwick! Remember, your teachers may think you can do it, but do you? At the end of the day, you'll be sitting the exams, not them. I live in Coventry and I can tell you that Warwick is a very very safe Campus, and Coventry is a pretty safe place! Newcastle on the other hand isn't as safe.
It's a pretty tough decision but you'll have to base it on your personal preference. Both Unis are very good.

Do you regret firming Manchester? I think the real issue is... if I get ABB and can't go to Warwick, will I regret it massively? How much will me choosing the safe option alter my employment chances or happiness?
Reply 4
Original post by Dancer32014
Hi :smile: first of all congratulations on your offers! you must be really happy. I think it's important that you strike a balance between what is achievable and what will make you happy! You need to decide how likely it is that you'll make ABB, if it's as unlikely as you imply it's probably better to go with Newcastle. Hope this helps

Thank you! I was really happy... until I realised the predicament I'm in now :wink: haha.

I don't know what I'm capable of. It could go either way. I'm predicted AAB which if anything just lessens my trust in my teachers opinions. The difference between my current AS grades and their prediction is so great :/

I just don't want to regret "what could of been" etc. Perhaps you are correct though. I would regret putting Warwick as a firm and not getting in more than putting Newcastle down and then getting the grades for Warwick....
Original post by Hanna_S
Do you regret firming Manchester? I think the real issue is... if I get ABB and can't go to Warwick, will I regret it massively? How much will me choosing the safe option alter my employment chances or happiness?

I don't know as I'm the same age as you and will be sitting my A2's this year :colondollar:

I doubt it'd really have that much of an effect on your employment chances although Warwick is quite a good spot to scout potential employees.
If I was in your position, I'd firm Warwick and if I didn't get the grades, I'd be the only one to blame :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Incubator
I don't know as I'm the same age as you and will be sitting my A2's this year :colondollar:

I doubt it'd really have that much of an effect on your employment chances although Warwick is quite a good spot to scout potential employees.
If I was in your position, I'd firm Warwick and if I didn't get the grades, I'd be the only one to blame :tongue:

Hmmm I suppose so.... I just couldn't live with myself if I ended up at Huddersfield when I could of taken the safe route and got into Newcastle. (I really don't like Huddersfield but its the only uni I could use for insurance)

Its like choosing between an unconditional or risky conditional tbh. I suppose the only reason I want to go to Warwick so much is its position in the league tables and its quality. Maybe I need to put that aside.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending