What to do with my car?

Watch
Sephiroth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I currently drive a Peugeot 206 with a 52 registration. It cost me £1000 a year ago and was my first car. I am in need of a new one because it is having problems and I don't feel it's worth getting fixed, but I am wondering whether to scrap it or if there is a better alternative.

The problems with the car are:

Engine coolant seems to disappear - every month or two I have to top it up. This sometimes causes the engine warning light to come on after starting it up and the car to rattle a bit while the light is on. I don't drive it when this happens but it normally corrects itself after turning it off for a few minutes. I suspect a gasket problem or a leak somewhere.

Another issue is bodywork damage. I scraped it on a wall at my mate's drive a few months back. The car has a small dent and some paintwork damage as a result.

I doubt any dealer would take that as a part exchange so is scrapping it my only option?

My MOT is due at the end of April, tax early May and insurance mid May so I figure now is the time to get rid of it otherwise I'd be happy to keep it until it dies or another year.

Also when I get a new car is it worth updating my insurance policy for it or set up a new policy instead? Since I'm close to the renewal period it would seem daft to use the existing policy due to the fees (I'm not getting a no claims bonus anyway).
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sephiroth)
I currently drive a Peugeot 206 with a 52 registration. It cost me £1000 a year ago and was my first car. I am in need of a new one because it is having problems and I don't feel it's worth getting fixed, but I am wondering whether to scrap it or if there is a better alternative.

The problems with the car are:

Engine coolant seems to disappear - every month or two I have to top it up. This sometimes causes the engine warning light to come on after starting it up and the car to rattle a bit while the light is on. I don't drive it when this happens but it normally corrects itself after turning it off for a few minutes. I suspect a gasket problem or a leak somewhere.

Another issue is bodywork damage. I scraped it on a wall at my mate's drive a few months back. The car has a small dent and some paintwork damage as a result.

I doubt any dealer would take that as a part exchange so is scrapping it my only option?

My MOT is due at the end of April, tax early May and insurance mid May so I figure now is the time to get rid of it otherwise I'd be happy to keep it until it dies or another year.

Also when I get a new car is it worth updating my insurance policy for it or set up a new policy instead? Since I'm close to the renewal period it would seem daft to use the existing policy due to the fees (I'm not getting a no claims bonus anyway).
Given its age most of its value is in it having a MOT. What you describe re condition does not of itself indicate it would fail. Would it be worth your while throwing it in for its MOT to see what happens?

Re the coolant issue, may be gasket (Remove each of the plugs and check, also take a look at the oil, is it contaminated) but might also be faulty water pump (though not sure that would cause coolant loss) Try running it up to temp, check for leaks when under pressure (Be careful of the fan) and check that fan kicks in .
domonict
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
get it MOT'd and sell it as seen.

Any car with 12 months on it is worth money to somebody, so long as all the faults are fairly pointed out. You might allow a bloke who needs transport to get a job?
I gave a car of mine to the fire brigade to practice rescues on. ( it was good but ancient)

But you could get £500 for £50 of MOT investment - so long as nothing needs doing
shaymarriott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is put it through an MoT and find out if any things really wrong with it. If it looks like it's not worth it then scrap it. If it passes or doesn't need much work then sell it!
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Where would I sell it if it passes the MOT? Privately or would I be able to trade it in as a part exchange?

I currently have my eye on a car and it probably won't be there in a few weeks time.
shaymarriott
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Up to you... See what the garage selling the car would give you for it? Regardless it's probably not worth a great deal.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
I asked them and listed the faults and they said it's probably worth £150-250. That's almost scrap lol.
shaymarriott
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Then see what needs to be done to get it through an MOT...?
domonict
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you are buying mmuch better car then the dealer generally doesn't want an old banger cluttering up their forecourt. sometimes they take cars just to oil the wheels. They also take better ones but send them straight to auction again, just to keep customers spending 25k happy.

If if you know a mechanic ask them if anybody wants a "station car" that is an old car that they feel happy about leaving parked in a railway station car park all,day to stop risking a nicer one. Or stick a postcard in a window .

part of the reason that I gave my car away was because I didn't want loads of tyre kickers haggling over a few quid. I regret being so lazy now. If it goes and keeps the rain off, it is worth something
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (161)
14.47%
I'm not sure (50)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.65%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (539)
48.43%

Watched Threads