fielelli.09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Trying to get different views: Christians, Atheists, Pacifists, Philosophers etc...
Advertisement
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
only in self-defence, and while keeping civilian casualties at a minimum (unless they'd be the only way to end a war, e.g. hiroshima and nagasaki)
-atheist
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
depends on how good the bants are
Advertisement
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The term just is subjective based on judgement of an ideology or a set of moral principles which are locally applied to a countries practice of law.

Each of the parties in a war will therefore claim they are right and just: both cannot be correct.

Which is why the international law as ratified by the members of the United Nations Council and internationally interpreted law is the basis for determining whether war is legal and more importantly - which side has the internationally agreed moral justification for war.
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously not, no matter the situation.
Advertisement
fielelli.09
Rep:
?
(Original post by German123)
Obviously not, no matter the situation.
Why? Do you have an example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fielelli.09)
Why? Do you have an example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just war theory.
Advertisement
TurboCretin
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
The term just is subjective based on judgement of an ideology or a set of moral principles which are locally applied to a countries practice of law.

Each of the parties in a war will therefore claim they are right and just: both cannot be correct.

Which is why the international law as ratified by the members of the United Nations Council and internationally interpreted law is the basis for determining whether war is legal and more importantly - which side has the internationally agreed moral justification for war.
If the term 'just' is construed relative to domestic jurisprudence, then surely two parties can both claim to be justly warring?
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A country can go to war for a just reason (e.g. to defend an ally) and can fight a war justly (e.g. minimising civilian casualties) however I wouldn't have said war was just.

Atheist
Advertisement
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
If the term 'just' is construed relative to domestic jurisprudence, then surely two parties can both claim to be justly warring?
Would that not then be an internal civil war?
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, if they are fought with good intentions such as defending a country from imperialism. They must also not involve large scale attacks that involve civilians.

Muslim.
Advertisement
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Protégé)
Yes, if they are fought with good intentions such as defending a country from imperialism. They must also not involve large scale attacks that involve civilians.

Muslim.
...what form of imperialism are you referring to? invasion? or influence?
fielelli.09
Rep:
?

Muslim.
Do you know of any Islamic teachings to back this up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
TurboCretin
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would that not then be an internal civil war?
No. I'm saying if Japan and Korea go to war, and the position of each is justified by its own internal moral framework, then surely both countries can simultaneously claim to be justly warring even if each regards the other's position as illegitimate. I don't see how you can claim on the one hand that justice is relative, and on the other say that two warring parties can't both be right.
Protégé
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
...what form of imperialism are you referring to? invasion? or influence?
Invasion, unless it's to liberate a country I dislike it.

(Original post by fielelli.09)
Do you know of any Islamic teachings to back this up? Posted from TSR Mobile
These are my views, nothing to do with Islam.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Invasion, unless it's to liberate a country I dislike it..
so what do you think of wars like vietnam and iraq? they were all for the purpose (whether primary or secondary) to liberate their peoples
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

But it is possible for military action, which goes against international law, to be justified. The Kosovo War was technically illegal, but it was fully justified as it prevented further atrocities being committed.
Advertisement
Protégé
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
so what do you think of wars like vietnam and iraq? they were all for the purpose (whether primary or secondary) to liberate their peoples
I don't know enough about Iraq but I do know a fair bit about Vietnam. I believe that the US were unjust in supporting multiple corrupt dictators, constantly lying and attacking under false premises. The Communists weren't perfect either, but they had a much more noble cause than the US.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
War isn't good for anything, except ending slavery and fascism.

Edit: I'm an atheist.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know enough about Iraq but I do know a fair bit about Vietnam. I believe that the US were unjust in supporting multiple corrupt dictators, constantly lying and attacking under false premises. The Communists weren't perfect either, but they had a much more noble cause than the US.
But the Communists murdered millions in Vietnam. The US only murdered a few thousand. It was the Americans in my opinion who were the ones fighting for a just cause in both cases, and their opponents who were fighting to enslave people under Communism and jihad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads