I copied my gcse composition... Watch

shonton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay I know I shouldn't have done this...
But I can't compose at all and my teachers no help, so for my second gcse music composition I went onto a composition website and downloaded a flute duet to sibelius, added dynamics, printed it off and handed it in.

I go to a music school so my teacher didn't suspect it was above my ability, but I just want to know how big the possibility is that I'll get caught. And how does the exam board check because you can't just google it like an essay..
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Heya, I'm going to put this in the Creative and Performance Arts forum for you as you should get more responses there. You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=81
hollyobxox
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shonton)
But I can't compose at all and my teachers no help, so for my second gcse music composition I went onto a composition website and downloaded a flute duet to sibelius, added dynamics, printed it off and handed it in.

I go to a music school so my teacher didn't suspect it was above my ability, but I just want to know how big the possibility is that I'll get caught. And how does the exam board check because you can't just google it like an essay..
I do GCSE Music too and I suck at composition
are you doing edexcel?
if you are its is your teacher that marks the composition first then it is send of to a moderator.
If the moderator is getting a lot of compositions to listen to he may not realise.
What flute duet did you copy? was it a well known one?
angiesamson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Okay, the examiners check for how the piece is written, there is a chance that they might recognise your flute duet and disqualify the piece and if this happens it can mean that you may fail the whole subjects, it can also have implications on other subjects.
Now is this OCR? Just Out of interest....
you could change a few things about it though, like alter some rhythms, maybe change the tempo around a bit, add a modulation? Do that and hand it in again so you are out of trouble
Angie xx GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
shonton
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by angiesamson)
Okay, the examiners check for how the piece is written, there is a chance that they might recognise your flute duet and disqualify the piece and if this happens it can mean that you may fail the whole subjects, it can also have implications on other subjects.
Now is this OCR? Just Out of interest....
you could change a few things about it though, like alter some rhythms, maybe change the tempo around a bit, add a modulation? Do that and hand it in again so you are out of trouble
Angie xx GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
It's edexcel and I would change it a bit, but I've already handed it in.. I feel really bad and I'm just hoping they don't notice :eek: ahaha
Thanks though
becketts
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I remember doing Edexcel music composition and it was horrendous! I came so close to copying something, but got too scared and wasted hours and hours of my weekends composing stuff that only got to a B in the end.

Honestly, I don't blame you for cheating, so don't feel bad about it. I remember my teacher telling me that it's good to take inspiration from other pieces, so perhaps just find a piece that sounds a little similar and say you were inspired by that. If it's not a very well known piece, then I shouldn't think the exam board would notice. Considering it's computerised and in Sibelius it does sound quite different to the actual piece being played so I doubt they'd recognise it.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
so did I - who could blame me?
it's their fault for not knowing enough songs.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Golden rule of plagiarism: change something enough to be able to cover yourself.

I understand that you've handed the work in now so I'll keepy fingers crossed for you. Edexel is blummin hard to deal with for all the arts subjects in my opinion.
hollyobxox
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's edexcel and I would change it a bit, but I've already handed it in.. I feel really bad and I'm just hoping they don't notice :eek: ahaha
Thanks though
your teacher is the first morderator so if they don't pick up on it you SHOULD be fine unless the examiner really knows his stuff.
the deadline was like two weeks ago so there is no point worrying I would just focus on the 12 pieces and try and get a good mark in that
play asleep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hey guys i have a slightly different issue http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3260583 if you could please have a look and reply that would be great.
Fingersmith
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had a pupil once who used a computer file off a magazine as the basis for his composition; he just changed the drums a bit. I spotted this after it had been sent off and spoke to the Head about it and we agreed that we were honour bound to tell the exam board. They didn't disqualify him, they merely marked it as an arrangement rather than a composition. I seem to remember that he got a D (his only GCSE). You wont get away with it at A level though.
Oaklee_r
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I kind of need some help. In music, a couple of weeks ago, my class started to do the composition piece as required by the exam board. My teacher played everyone’s piece at the end of the lesson and she seemed quite impressed by mine. I then realised that I recognised the song I thought it was just my imagination until yesterday I was on Spotify and the song started playing. I will admit the songs aren’t exactly the same but the do share the same chords and key (the chords are played in the same order).
Will OCR realise, and if they do will I get marked down or fail even though this was entirely by accident
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads