The Student Room Group

How to get better at French?

I am currently in Year 11 and I am predicted and aiming for an A* in the summer. I am also taking French A Level next year...:smile:
I visit France, have a penpal and listen to French music, but can anybody recommend a way to actually improve? I feel like although I am pretty good at French in class, when I actually go to France I am not confident or well prepared at all. Any tips or things that have helped you to get better?
Reply 1
have an aim to learn x number of new vocab words a day. Vocab I find it normally my biggest downfall. Maybe try to learn 5 new words a day?
Watch French movies, helps with forming conversational knowledge. As well as French novels, whilst making a list of new vocabulary you pick up in the novel.

Amélie was a pretty good film, if you'd like a place to start :smile: I'd recommend novels as well, but they're all in Québébcois French, which wouldn't bide well with your exams
Use Memrise to learn vocab - read articles online.

Vice.com/fr has some good ones.

I'm doing AS atm and I thinking once you start alevels you will notice great strides of your french improving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending