The Student Room Group

Dissertation Dilemma

So today was the electronic hand-in for my dissertation through Turnitin..

Only problem was, actually finishing completely... Originally I had a schedule to do an all nighter in order to ensure that it was perfect. Until, a person I really needed to interview in order to make my report really solid responded, and was willing to answer some questions over a Q&A, bare in mind this was at 2am.

So here's me with a big schedule of things to do, things to change etc.. and on top of that I had analyse another interview on top. I had to basically rush everything, it got to 3pm (4pm deadline). Finally got all my content done, and now had to start on the critical reflection. This turned out the be the worst garbage I've ever wrote in my life.

I managed to get all the main body into the dissertation, it's just that my layout is poor. I never completed table of figures, added an appendix, didn't even have the time to complete the abstract because I was so short of time.

You can say it's my own fault - because it probably is. But I did conduct two and analyse two Interviews, created two questionnaires with over 100 responses on each and endless pages of references. Plus I probably bit off more than I could chew for my project,

The dilemma is: as I haven't added any content to the appendix, my table of figures are incomplete, the numbering and page layout is a bit poor, and there is no abstract in the actual report. Should I now go on to add these things, make it look presentable and cut all losses? Because obviously they expect the printout to be the same as the hand-in. It's just annoying because I have all the files saved ready to put in the appendix, but I don't know whether I should or not..
I think you should leave it as is, they ll clearly know you were being dishonest if you re printout didnt match what you d but through turnitin
Original post by PeteLanceley
So today was the electronic hand-in for my dissertation through Turnitin..

Only problem was, actually finishing completely... Originally I had a schedule to do an all nighter in order to ensure that it was perfect. Until, a person I really needed to interview in order to make my report really solid responded, and was willing to answer some questions over a Q&A, bare in mind this was at 2am.

So here's me with a big schedule of things to do, things to change etc.. and on top of that I had analyse another interview on top. I had to basically rush everything, it got to 3pm (4pm deadline). Finally got all my content done, and now had to start on the critical reflection. This turned out the be the worst garbage I've ever wrote in my life.

I managed to get all the main body into the dissertation, it's just that my layout is poor. I never completed table of figures, added an appendix, didn't even have the time to complete the abstract because I was so short of time.

You can say it's my own fault - because it probably is. But I did conduct two and analyse two Interviews, created two questionnaires with over 100 responses on each and endless pages of references. Plus I probably bit off more than I could chew for my project,

The dilemma is: as I haven't added any content to the appendix, my table of figures are incomplete, the numbering and page layout is a bit poor, and there is no abstract in the actual report. Should I now go on to add these things, make it look presentable and cut all losses? Because obviously they expect the printout to be the same as the hand-in. It's just annoying because I have all the files saved ready to put in the appendix, but I don't know whether I should or not..

TBH, you should ensured you finished the research portion of your dissertation well before you started writing up, but what's done is done.

I would suggest that it's ok to do general tidying- e.g. page numbers, improve layout etc. for the printed version, but adding any more than than this is likely to be ignored.

Obviously the best person to talk to would be your supervisor, though.
Reply 3
I'd be interested to know whether your failed or just lose marks for missing data. Of the 8 datasets i need i can't find one of them so it's possible i'll miss a component myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending