The Student Room Group

No coloured braces on nhs?

a week ago my orthodontist told me I could not get colored ligatures on my braces. SO now I have plain silver(the standard). I mean if your going through all that pain shouldn't you get to chose colors. Apparently the rules changed or something so now you have to go privately to get colored braces.
:mad:
I know people that are still getting colours and can't imagine that it makes such difference to the NHS if they are coloured or plain but even if it were true you are getting your teeth sorted for free on the NHS does it really matter if the brace has colour on it or not? If you are getting good treatment and your straight teeth you don't really have much to complain about do you
I kind of agree with the above to be honest. I was supposed to get braces on the NHS when I was 15, I would have got it done for free. It was basically because most of my adult teeth never came through because there weren't any under my teeth that feel out. So my teeth have gradually fallen out and left gaps where no teeth will ever come through. Luckily this has happened to teeth at the back not the front but recently 2 new teeth came through where there were teeth underneath and now they're pushing my front teeth forward so that one is crossing over. So my front teeth are crowded and back teeth are sparse.

Because of all the complication, the orthodontist didn't want to go through with braces when I was 15 because they wanted to see what what happen. Now I'm 24 and can't get free braces on the NHS because my problem is classed as 'cosmetic'. I will have to pay thousands of pounds if I want this fixed, which at my age is impossible when I just starting out in the world and don't have that kind of cash.

If someone offered me free braces, the last things I would care about is what color they are. You're lucky.
I agree with the other posters. If you are really that fussed about it, then go private and pay for it yourself where you can choose which treatment you want. You are lucky to be in a position where you have the option to get an expensive treatment for free. I went private as I didn't like the way braces looked and wanted invisible ones, but in hindsight it really isn't a big deal. You only have them for a couple of years and many of your friends at school will have them as well. Then you'll have lovely straight teeth for life, it's definitely worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest