isabadi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm a EU student and i'm currently still in high school in Italy, but i'm already looking into UK universities and student loans. And I'd really like to go abroad for my entire next year of high school with an exchange program. After that I'd still have one more year back at home (here in Italy we have FIVE years of high school, can you believe that).

The thing is, would the exchange program stop me from applying as a EU home student because of the "ordinarily resident for the three years before the first day of the course" rule?

I'm really lost and I've looked everywhere but I can't find anyone who's been in the same position as me, some advice would clear my mind a lot. Thanks!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're only going abroad for one year of school, and you can prove that you've maintained family ties and a permanent residence in Italy while you're abroad, you should be fine. If it's a formal exchange programme, there should be plenty of paperwork to prove that. The fact that you'll have another year back at school in Italy, should also help.
gioprete79
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, I am a student applying for funding for the 2015/2016 academic year. I am a new student just accepted at Leeds uni. I fulfill all the requirements for EU status, but there is one implication that you need to help me a bit.

So my story is:
I am a EU National, born and lived in a EU country all my life, went to school there, worked, have a bank account and my family lives there as well. I hold dual citizenship, Greek and Canadian which I got from my grandparents who lived in Canada for a while.
For the past three years, starting 2012 I lived in Greece, however, in August 2014 I moved for 8 months in Canada to pursue studies at a university, in order to determine what I wanted to with my life. They offered a good program, like a foundation year, and this way I had the ability to develop my interests in various departments. However I was accepted at a full four years BA program and then withdrew, since my intentions from the first place was to stay only for 8 months and then pursue my degree in the EU. I returned in the EU in April right after 8 months.
Despite having being accepted into a four year program, I have a letter from an academic ad visor, that says that my intentions were to stay only for 8 months and a letter from a professor of the same content.

Will I be classified as an overseas student because of that? AND will I still be entitled to a loan?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (639)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads