The Student Room Group

Sum of all numbers in -1/12

I came across this video that has now put my mathematical mind in a loop trying to think of why that 1+2+3+4 all the way to infinity = -1/12

Anyone seen this before or has an explanation as to why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww
Reply 1
Original post by Tiri
I came across this video that has now put my mathematical mind in a loop trying to think of why that 1+2+3+4 all the way to infinity = -1/12 Anyone seen this before or has an explanation as to why?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww

AFAIK all proofs hinge on treating the infinite sum of Grandi's series as 12\frac{1}{2}, despite the fact it's divergent. Read more about it here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandi%27s_series
Reply 2
Sn=11+11+...±1n timesS_n = \underbrace{1 -1 + 1 -1 + ... \pm 1}_{\text{n times}}

does not converges to 12\frac{1}{2}, there doesn't exist a NNN \in \mathbb{N} such that for all n>Nn > N, Sn12<ϵ|S_n - \frac{1}{2}| < \epsilon for ϵ12\epsilon \leq \frac{1}{2} so it doesn't converge by the standard definition of convergence.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiri
I came across this video that has now put my mathematical mind in a loop trying to think of why that 1+2+3+4 all the way to infinity = -1/12

1+2+4+8+16+32+ ....= a/(1-r) = 1/(1-2) = -1 which is a loads of rubbish in analogy as the sum to infinity is used incorrectly outside its radius of convergence ...
Original post by Noble.
Sn=11+11+...±1n timesS_n = \underbrace{1 -1 + 1 -1 + ... \pm 1}_{\text{n times}}

does not converges to 12\frac{1}{2}, there doesn't exist a NNN \in \mathbb{N} such that for all n>Nn > N, Sn12<ϵ|S_n - \frac{1}{2}| < \epsilon for ϵ12\epsilon \leq \frac{1}{2} so it doesn't converge by the standard definition of convergence.

Should it not be ϵ>0\epsilon >0?
The Cesaro sum is not the same thing as the 'actual' infinite sum, which is clearly divergent. The video is therefore immediately nonsense when they fail to distinguish the two.
Reply 6
Original post by rayquaza17
Should it not be ϵ>0\epsilon >0?

If you wanted to show convergence then you'd have to show the existence of an N for any ϵ>0\epsilon >0. If you have some ϵ\epsilon such that no such N exists, then you have shown it's not convergent to that limit. All I'm saying by ϵ12\epsilon \leq \dfrac{1}{2} is that there are (uncountably) infinite ϵ\epsilon convergence fails for, so it can't possibly converge to 1/2
(edited 9 years ago)
To be honest, I think any argument that the sum is -1/12 is a load of rubbish. If you have a series of non-negative terms, then how on earth is it possible for that sum to be negative?!
Reply 8
Original post by omegaSQU4RED
To be honest, I think any argument that the sum is -1/12 is a load of rubbish. If you have a series of non-negative terms, then how on earth is it possible for that sum to be negative?!

Logistically it makes no sense. I think the video is just a physicist who thinks he can 'out do' mathematics.
:lolwut:
Original post by omegaSQU4RED

It's a load of rubbish for Cauchy summation. However, it can take any value we like, depending on how we choose to define "summation". In the video, they chose to define:

n=1an=limm1mn=1m(a1+a2++an)\displaystyle\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} a_n = \displaystyle\lim_{m\to \infty} \dfrac{1}{m}\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{m}(a_1+a_2+…+a_n)

Which is where the 1/2 for the alternating 1-series arises. This is all fine and good, and may have applications in string theory or whatever, but that choice of definition is arbitrary and is clearly not the same thing as summing the series in the conventional sense (which can't be done). Hence by making another choice, we could clearly make the series take another value.

It's very bad form for them to not be clear on which definition of sum they are using, and astoundingly claim that this is the same as summing it normally.
Original post by Tiri
Logistically it makes no sense. I think the video is just a physicist who thinks he can 'out do' mathematics.

Once again, indicating that physics wouldn't make any sense without mathematics. There are also people who think they can "outdo" mathematics by proving that 1 = 2, except their proof somewhere will involve some caveat such as division by zero (which any sane person knows is impossible).

The moral of the story: Do not confuse reasoning that sounds good with good sound reasoning.
Reply 12
Original post by Tiri

I swear we had this about a week ago!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=54520849&highlight=zeta

:smile:
Reply 13
Most proofs of this you see will be fudged to get to the right answer. They're only there to demonstrate it to people with little maths knowledge. The actual proof I believe is done via the analytic continuation of the Riemann zeta function for s = -1, which will give the required result. It's a way of assigning a sensible value to the series.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14

Ah I didn't see this. Im just a novice mathematician (If that), who was just curious about this proof. I have learnt though from this debate, that mathematicians and physicist approach maths very differently.
Original post by dknt
Most proofs of this you see will be fudged to get to the right answer. They're only there to demonstrate it to people with little maths knowledge. The actual proof I believe is done via the analytic continuation of the Riemann zeta function for s = -1, which will give the required result. It's a way of assigning a sensible value to the series.

Is the Riemann Zeta function one correct? I saw Numberphile put a video up using that proof rather than the 1, -1, 1, -1 etc. proof.
Reply 16
Original post by Craig1998
Is the Riemann Zeta function one correct? I saw Numberphile put a video up using that proof rather than the 1, -1, 1, -1 etc. proof.

They all use the same series

Quick Reply

Latest