The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

What made you choose uea? im struggling to make a decision!

Hi all,
Im currently holding two offers for Bsc Occupational Therapy, one from UEA and one from Canterbury but im struggling to choose between the two!

I would be interested in hearing what made you choose UEA and why, or anything you think is particularly great about it.
Especially mature students as im going to be 22 when starting my degree, did you find it easy to fit in?
Also is there a good pub scene, im guessing there is considering there's so many but im much more of a pub than club person.

Just any insider info would be great, the stuff they don't usually tell you on an open day for instance! just to help me make my mind up :smile:
Original post by ShadowyPrincess
Hi all,
Im currently holding two offers for Bsc Occupational Therapy, one from UEA and one from Canterbury but im struggling to choose between the two!

I would be interested in hearing what made you choose UEA and why, or anything you think is particularly great about it.
Especially mature students as im going to be 22 when starting my degree, did you find it easy to fit in?
Also is there a good pub scene, im guessing there is considering there's so many but im much more of a pub than club person.

Just any insider info would be great, the stuff they don't usually tell you on an open day for instance! just to help me make my mind up :smile:

For me there were several things:
-I liked the campus- okay not the pretiest but very friendly, great atmosphere- when the sun comes out loads of people sit in the square and it really comes to life. Its also relatively compact so no more than a 15-20 mins walk from one end to another
-Accomodation was reasonably priced relative to other unis and mostly on campus
-I also liked that the LCR club on campus was actually popular with students rather than being somewhere they went during freshers although I appreciate you might not be interested
-The offer was the most achievable of the 'good' unis I applied to

As a current student I can also tell you
-24/7 library is handy
-almost all the lecturers ive encountered in politics, history and american studies have been happy to help
-Yes there are lots of good pubs to go to and also a real ale society whom I presume are focused on going to pubs

I can't talk specificially about what its like to be a mature undergraduate because I started at 19 but there is a mature students society.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Well hi! I've firmed UEA for OT so I'm pretty in love with the place. :h:
So it's likely going to be biased, but I'll tell you my experience anyway.

Before going to open days I genuinely thought I would really like Canterbury, and imagined I might have that as one of my top choices.. I ended up not applying at all after going there. I wasn't thrilled at the small effort put in on the open day I went to, the skills lab was small and their sensory room had a few broken lights! I tried asking past students what Canterbury had to offer over other universities but I couldn't get a clear answer. Though perhaps it was just my own dislike of a city based university, it was just a top priority of mine to have access to the library as I'm always in there anyway. Also they have a March intake as well as a September and the lecturers teach both, so I was kind of worried about whether that would make an impact. It's big student city, 3 universities are based there so there's definitely a lot to do!
As for UEA I really loved how everything was much more together, the library's open all of the time and the accommodation is either on campus or a short walk away. As for the course I actually watched a local news slot about the bungalow and how research there is helping people live independently so I knew they took healthcare courses seriously. When talking to other students I was told specifically there are a lot of pubs, and one told me they play board games at one of them.

That was far more biased than I even imagined.. You might want an opinion from someone who liked CCCU! Though how did you feel when you were there? That was definitely why I chose UEA, I felt like I could be very at home there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending